Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-15, 08:58 PM  
Tugger31

Question Rotation Question...Body Beast

I want to use some of my virgin workout sets. I have both Body Beast and Weider Ruthless. I haven't done any workouts from either set, but do know that Ruthless uses no weights.

Would these 2 sets be good to do on alternate days??
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-15, 09:10 PM  
MARIKA

I would say no, only because Beast is intense and I think rest is important with this set. I am getting so strong from Beast. I am going as heavy as I can too. I start Block 3 on Monday!!
Old 04-09-15, 09:16 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
I would say no, only because Beast is intense and I think rest is important with this set. I am getting so strong from Beast. I am going as heavy as I can too. I start Block 3 on Monday!!
Agreed. Also, better results with resting adequately.
Old 04-10-15, 10:24 AM  
buffmama

I actually started combining them just to get some cardio in but then decided it was too much testosterone for me. But I did continue to add in cardio more so during the second half of the beast rotation. I either added in cardio on short days, when my body was screaming for it, or on cardio or rest days. I did not go all out with the cardio.

I would look at the lean rotation and consider Ruthless for the cardio days. That's what I would do when I do another rotation.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15, 11:08 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I've done one complete Beast (lean) rotation and didn't have the energy for much more cardio. I did sub other cardio for the Beast Cardio workout (HiiT, steady state or interval depending on my mood), but I could not have done cardio doubles on top of work-to-failure weights work every day.

Are you more in the mood for straight strength or cardio/bodyweight strength right now? If you want to experiment with both series, you could do alternating weeks of each. Or pick 3-4 workouts from one series and 2 from the other, and make up your own weekly rotation.
Old 04-11-15, 09:46 AM  
bzbnmom

To me it looks like a great combination.

I'm doing Body Beast for the second time right now, however both times I have had a leg injury so I do only the upper body Body Beast workouts. I always work to failure but it never exhausts me. I've been doing barre and Tracie Long for legs and lite cardio but I really really want more and will be bumping up the cardio with low impact AWT on cardio days for sure (well, as long as it doesn't bother my knee).

I started the short Bulk workouts and will add something to each of them (if I'm extra tired - a short yoga or stretch or nothing). I actually had planned to do Ruthless after each of the upper body Beast Bulk workouts before my recent injury. Before my injury I was doing Ripped with Hiit.

So I say give it a try! Ruthless is only 20 minutes. And if it's too much for you then try something else.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 10:34 AM  
Taiga

For me, it's not a matter of what I'm able to do or add but more about what will give me the best results. I get stronger/leaner/smaller if I don't add extra cardio when I'm doing STS or Beast. I do add yoga or light ballet/walking to loosen up and improve flexibility as I get stronger. I keep any of this extra stuff at a gentle level.

I think results from add-ons will vary for the individual (diet, sleep, age, current conditioning, stress levels etc.) but also on how much effort goes into the lifting. I lift heavy and progressively (meaning I add weight every new session, even if I can only squeak out an extra half pound). Extra cardio (especially intense) under those circumstances only stalls my fat loss. That's most likely related to the higher cortisol levels that happen with over-training.
Old 04-11-15, 01:30 PM  
Tugger31

I hear what you're saying Taiga and I tend to agree though I've never truly put it to the test b/c I've fizzled out on rotations, felt I needed to add more intense cardio and burnt out or I simply just overate.

My primary goal is Fat Loss, not weight loss on the scale. I will be eating less as I know diet is of utmost importance for fat loss, but not so low as to not provide sufficient fuel to my workouts. I really am not afraid of adding any bulk/size during Body Beast b/c I really think if I eat correctly that Beast will help me just to at least maintain the decent muscle base that I have already. My workout plan for fat loss is diet and progressive overload with strength training with some cardio as my mental health dictates and yoga at least once every other week for flexibility.

I've tried more metabolic workouts for the results I am after and had good results for the first 2 weeks or so but then it stalled, same for when I used barre and TA type workouts. I think the key is that none of those workouts provided the progressive overload muscle stimulation my body needs for continued results. I did lose more scale weight with barre and similar workouts but it was overall more muscle loss and I did not like the way my body composition looked in the mirror.

I like to add in cardio more for variety and I find it helps with my stress related job. I'd likely be adding in short cardio no more than twice per week. Any other cardio would just be walking and yoga.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body beast, body beast rotation, ruthless