Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-21-14, 10:29 AM  
SandyT

Can you lose 3 lbs of muscle in a week?

Due to a minor injury I decided to take a week off of dvd's and just do walking for a week. I was amazed to find that I dropped 3 pounds during that week. Prior to this I hadn't really lost or gained since menopause. I didn't need to lose the weight, wasn't really trying, and didn't change my eating at all.
I was wondering...is it possible to lose 3 pounds of muscle by not working out for a week??? Just curious...
Thanks,
Sandy
SandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 10:51 AM  
knitter_mom

That seems pretty quick to me, 3 pounds of muscle would still require a calorie deficit of 10,000kcal, and that doesn't seem right. Water retention going away? Going from a more stressful exercise routine to a less stressful one so your cortisol levels are down and weight dropped more quickly? (Stress in this case doesn't mean the "bad" kind of stress, just that weight-lifting and more extreme exercise is a kind of short-term stress on the body that has a good result in the long run).

Menopause can really change your reaction to different kinds of exercise, so it is good to experiment; I would personally keep walking and see what happens :-)

Kris
knitter_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 11:22 AM  
laurajhawk

Water was my first thought as well. I don't think it is muscle loss.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 11:36 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingjoe2001 View Post
Due to a minor injury I decided to take a week off of dvd's and just do walking for a week. I was amazed to find that I dropped 3 pounds during that week. Prior to this I hadn't really lost or gained since menopause. I didn't need to lose the weight, wasn't really trying, and didn't change my eating at all.
I was wondering...is it possible to lose 3 pounds of muscle by not working out for a week??? Just curious...
Thanks,
Sandy
No way, that makes no physiological sense at ALL. It's likely predominately fluid.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 11:37 AM  
SandyT

I think you are both probably right. Water weight seems more likely than muscle It was a good break for my body as far as stress goes. I might have to plan these "walking weeks" into my schedule in the future!
Old 07-21-14, 12:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i would agree w/what everyone has posted - water.

after prolonged (don't know the threshold) disuse, you lose a mix of muscle, fat and water. same thing with gaining. you don't gain pure muscle - there's a mix of muscle, fat and water.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 01:56 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingjoe2001 View Post
Thanks,
Sandy
I agree water weight. I weigh 2-3 pounds more when I regularly do vigorous exercise--especially strength training. If I take a week off, that weight suddenly drops. I can still lose weight while retaining 2-3 pounds of workout related fluid weight--I only see the gain when I first get back into the routine. So I forget it is there, until something causes me to take a week off and I see the sudden loss. I don't continue to lose beyond that point though unless I am eating a lot less than usual. I don't know whether you would quickly lose muscle without dieting or undereating for some other reason. Over time, perhaps but I usually find if I take a week off (for reasons other than injury or illness), I am stronger than ever when I go back to it. Just a week off, longer I would lose a little fitness. With an injury it is a bit different since it usually takes me longer than a week to fully recover.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 02:44 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I gain about 4 lbs after a weight workout. It goes away if I don't do weights for a while. I don't worry about it because I know it's fluid retention and my muscles probably need it. Sorry about your injury, but you probably haven't lost much in the way of muscle.

Even Cathe says to take a week off between each of her mesocycles in STS
Old 07-21-14, 05:13 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

When I"m off lifting I lose pounds real fast. It is all water and glycogen.
If you eat enough calories I don't think you would lose muscles that fast. On very little calories you may lose muscles faster.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-14, 05:31 PM  
SandyT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
I agree water weight. I weigh 2-3 pounds more when I regularly do vigorous exercise--especially strength training. If I take a week off, that weight suddenly drops. I can still lose weight while retaining 2-3 pounds of workout related fluid weight--I only see the gain when I first get back into the routine. So I forget it is there, until something causes me to take a week off and I see the sudden loss. I don't continue to lose beyond that point though unless I am eating a lot less than usual. I don't know whether you would quickly lose muscle without dieting or undereating for some other reason. Over time, perhaps but I usually find if I take a week off (for reasons other than injury or illness), I am stronger than ever when I go back to it. Just a week off, longer I would lose a little fitness. With an injury it is a bit different since it usually takes me longer than a week to fully recover.
That is really interesting...that workouts make you retain fluid. I had never thought of that but it really makes sense from a biological stance.
My weight usually doesn't fluctuate more than 1 lb...but I only weigh myself once in a while and always in the morning. So this was a surprise. It is good to know though so that when I go back to my usual routine I won't be surprised when I gain a few pounds