Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-17, 03:51 PM  
twinkletoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
Language and its use has been my main avocation (other than fitness). The word has a racist history, no matter how much you try to sugarcoat it. It doesn't matter where the term is posted/listed. It's nasty. Language is fluid. Perhaps you think that if they took the "N" word and applied some other new meaning to it, it would be OK to use it. No difference here.

The Urban Dictionary is written by someone, no? So, if I look up a word in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary, you would come back and say, "Hey, you found that in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary." This is not a valid argument.
I mentioned UD because the definition is way off. Maybe that's what it meant a long time ago but it doesn't mean that now in this case. Nobody is referring to human ashes. The millennials were having meltdowns...snow melts. Snowflakes. Just because it meant something racist doesn't make it racist in this case. Snowflakes from the sky isn't a racist term...it's just another definition of snowflake.
Old 03-09-17, 03:52 PM  
twinkletoes

Quote:
But her name calling is OK. Got it!
I didn't call you any names.
Old 03-09-17, 03:56 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Twinkletoes was just pointing out that the context of the term as it was used here in the thread (however irrelevant and quite frankly, obnoxious, it may have been) was not racist. It was a barb directed at a generation, not a racial/ethnic group.

The end.
Old 03-09-17, 03:59 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
I didn't call you any names.
I wasn't referring to you. Videofit is the name caller. Sheesh.....

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
Old 03-09-17, 04:01 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
I mentioned UD because the definition is way off. Maybe that's what it meant a long time ago but it doesn't mean that now in this case. Nobody is referring to human ashes. The millennials were having meltdowns...snow melts. Snowflakes. Just because it meant something racist doesn't make it racist in this case. Snowflakes from the sky isn't a racist term...it's just another definition of snowflake.
You're opening a can of worms, twinkletoes. Your statement "Just because it meant something racist doesn't make it racist in this case." Derogatory words' meanings stay with them, no matter the context.

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
Old 03-09-17, 04:29 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Hm, I hope that we can discuss this still:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Quote:
That bad fairy critic (I think of her as the BFC) inside you who spends all her time sizing up all the other women she sees -- even if that woman is in your own mirror.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy W. View Post
Yes. Amen! In most cases, people make innocent remarks without the least intent of insulting or demeaning us. It is WE who choose to huff, only because of having bought into whatever that "BFC" has told us!
My interpretation of the CNN piece is different. As I read it, the author is encouraging us to speak differently ("Say bye-bye to bad body image talk"), and she is discouraging us from some examples of such talk, even what we may consider "innocent remarks without the last intent of insulting or demeaning us." Both speakers and listeners have responsibilities, but she places more responsibility on us as speakers than on us as listeners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
A wiser person than I phrased it thus: if you really mean well, you have to also commit to doing well, which means acknowledging that good intentions can still come with lousy execution. Acts hurt people regardless of intent.
I'm reminded of how I interpret the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions." I first acquired what I think is a more common interpretation, that this road to hell is paved with good intentions that weren't followed. Now I usually think of good intentions that were followed. In other words, we can probably all recognize likely contexts for "but I meant well!"
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
Old 03-09-17, 07:37 PM  
Bearybuff

Wow! As someone who works with children, this is totally blowing me away. I took her comment snowflake as "special snowflake" unique and sometimes very challenging child or adult person to work with. This is a term I'm very familiar with in that context. I have Never ever (truly) heard of it mentioned any other way and I'm not 20 anymore--or even want to be.

Maybe, she never did as well.

Not trying to start anything and that's all I've got to add as I've got a busy weekend to take care of and enough stress already. Just trying to offer a different perspective.
Old 03-09-17, 08:52 PM  
mrsscififanec

Quote:
Stop using the classically racist term "snowflake", videofit. This word has a nasty, racist history. Therefore, I've reported your post. Educate yourself. Education is your friend.

Snowflake
Snowflake is a term Republicans are calling liberals. it refers to the human ash in the air when the Nazis would burn people alive.

Referring to someone, usually the Alt-Right, Yiannopoulos, And Nazi Sympathizers (A.K.A. ARYANS), whose immense white fragility causes a meltdown when confronted with the most minute deviation from orthodox White Supremacy. They often cry bloody murder when expected to give the most modest expression of basic human decency.

This is all a continuation of how Snowflake historically refers to people who are against the abolition of slavery.

The ARYANS have attempted to hijack this term to use against progressives and those opposing Fascism.
So It's ok though that you just Lumped together Republicans with racists and Nazi's or am I misunderstanding that ?
Also is it ok for you to condescend to her about how education is her friend or am i misunderstanding that also ?
I very rarely post but wow that was pretty mean spirited .
Closed Thread