Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-16, 11:02 AM  
marmact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I've never thought of Jessica as "bubbly." I much prefer her YouTube workouts to her DVDs because her mom and the other background exerciser are often a little "off" and they distract me. I prefer just Jessica (and Peanut). I have her walking sets, including the new one, and haven't even tried some of the workouts. They just sit on my shelf.

Leslie is a force all her own. I love/hate Leslie. Between her maniacal laughing, constantly being off beat and changing choreography in the middle of a music phrase, she frustrates me to no end. That said, I have so much fun doing her workouts - especially her Radio and Party Hits. The music is motivating and her crew is energizing.

I haven't done much Jessica or Leslie for the past year, but I do tend to grab a Leslie when I want a walking workout.
Joni, about how fast are the miles on these two? I really like Leslie's faster miles but her newer stuff tends to be longer to me. (By fast, I prefer her 12-minute miles.)

(And I agree with you on the love/hate thing. For me, some of her workouts are awesome and others immediately went into the trade pile.)
Old 01-18-16, 12:39 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

For those that don't think Jessica is "bubbly" she is really ramped up on her Cardio Party DVD from the Walk Strong set! She's almost over enthusiastic because a few of the backgrounders from her "community" are working out with her in this one. So, after I complete the WS rotation, I don't see myself pulling this one out very often.

Leslie can get kind of crazy with her group of walkers in the room, but I find her fun (even if she messes up her steps or instruction.) She's just goofy and seems to have a big heart, so I forgive her getting a little wacky.

But, I have to be in the right mood for both of these instructors. Usually they both lift my spirits and bring me a lot of joy when I do their workouts, so I'm happy!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 12:44 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I like them both, but reach for a Leslie video much more often.

Leslie has gotten me through a lot of slumps and recoveries over the years.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 12:57 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I like them both, but reach for a Leslie video much more often.

Leslie has gotten me through a lot of slumps and recoveries over the years.
I agree! Something about Leslie motivates me more, and time time flies by. I start off thinking I will do one or two miles, and before I know it I have done four or five!

With Jessica, I find myself watching the clock. I have traded away most of my Jessica's.
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 04:54 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
Joni, about how fast are the miles on these two? I really like Leslie's faster miles but her newer stuff tends to be longer to me. (By fast, I prefer her 12-minute miles.)
I think the miles are a bit longer than 12 minutes, but the music is so much fun that I'm fine with them. I think these are the HiiT workouts - well, in Lesliespeak anyway.

I bought Jessica's Walk Strong, but have only done the total body weights - whatever it's called. Joni-O'd it about halfway through. Too complicated to do weights with decent form, as well as more intricate footwork. I may try another one, maybe not.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 01:24 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I was never ever able to click with Leslie, tried a few of her workouts and they hit my Joni O button pretty fast.

I also never ever thought I'd enjoy walking workouts, but for some reason I can handle Jessica. Even though they do push right up to the limits of my boredom threshold sometimes, I can usually hang in for the 30 or so minutes. I like her weight workouts because I have gotten to where I can not stand isolation weight exercises, I like that her strength workouts have a good cardio component too.

And for those of you who know me, I'm actually DOING A ROTATION for the first time in my long exercise life, Jessica's latest Walk Strong. I'm 10 days in which amazes even me. Sorry you didn't care for the one you tried, Joni. I'm overall enjoying it very much. I got to a point where I was tired of both having to decide which workout to do when I got home from work AND deciding what to fix for dinner. The rotation takes care of the first and me letting go of "having to cook" has taken care of the second.

We'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks. I've enjoyed all the workouts I've done so far, but I LIKE complex stuff. I enjoy the compound moves; I know many hate them.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 07:57 AM  
Sara1000

'Bubbly' isn't the right word for Jessica - more like very energetic and enthusiastic - which is great, but sometimes I need something a little more subdued. Leslie is just a notch calmer somehow. I love both of them!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 08:04 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
'Bubbly' isn't the right word for Jessica - more like very energetic and enthusiastic - which is great, but sometimes I need something a little more subdued. Leslie is just a notch calmer somehow. I love both of them!
Ha! I'll have to do a couple Jessicas and pay closer attention to her demeanor. It's not like me to not pick up on something that should have even minor potential to bug me in a workout. The thought that a "raving lunatic," as I often (lovingly) think of Leslie when she's teaching, as being calmer and more subdued than Jessica makes me need to check this out further.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 10:16 AM  
Sara1000

Ha ha - Jessica is definitely not a raving lunatic, but neither is Leslie in my opinion. She just gets a little silly sometimes
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 12:14 PM  
ellaenchanted

I love them both. I do Leslie in conjunction with other programs; it's a great straight up walking cardio add-on. Leslie is great for when I want to zone out.

Jessica is wonderful, too. Some of her walks are what I consider low impact or easy choreography aerobics than walking workouts. I love them, though. But, I find that I prefer Leslie workouts for add-ons after I have done weight training or other stuff and feel like I need those extra steps in my day.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bat cave, jessica smith, leslie sansone, leslie vs jessica