Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-15, 11:10 AM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
How did we ever lose weight and stay in shape before there was HIIT???? Lol! I've had success with HIIT, steady state, and even floorwork.
See, I think the fitness industry tends to overstate the weight loss benefits of HIIT because it's "sexy" and sells. But much of the research conducted on HIIT focuses on the more mundane aspects, including insulin sensitivity, aerobic fitness, and production of human growth hormone--all of which are important contributors to overall health and wellbeing.

Based on what I've read about HIIT I have trouble labeling it a "fad" because of the clear evidence of its benefits. In fact I could even see it being added to the ACSM exercise recommendations at some point in the future.

A lot of people have probably watched this, but for anyone who hasn't it's an interesting program by Dr Michael Mosley on exercise where he undergoes a 4 week HIIT workout plan.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz2...cise_lifestyle
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 11:17 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I don't see HIIT as a fad, I see it as an option. Some may like it, some may not. Some are much more into the "science" of working out than others. I am simply into staying active with a goal of enjoyment, weight control, aging gracefully, and looking fit. Bottom line from my perspective - anything that gets one off the couch and moving is good, and the enjoyment factor is huge especially for those starting out with exercise. If HIIT fits the bill, great. If steady state fits the bill, all good too IMO.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 11:31 AM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
See, I think the fitness industry tends to overstate the weight loss benefits of HIIT because it's "sexy" and sells. But much of the research conducted on HIIT focuses on the more mundane aspects, including insulin sensitivity, aerobic fitness, and production of human growth hormone--all of which are important contributors to overall health and wellbeing.
I think it depends on what your goals are, and they are different for everyone. One of my goals after college was to lose the "freshman 15" (yes, it was 15 for me!). So for many of us HIIT or steady state, or exercise in general, can be a package deal with weight loss as part of the goal. That's not necessarily about "sexy" for me, it's about health ... staying healthy, maintaining muscle and bone. Here's where it gets messy . . . not only does steady state get a bad wrap, losing weight gets lumped in with vanity and becomes distorted. Don't get me wrong, my head is not stuck in the sand and I don't not think that sex sells, cause it's obvious that it does!

I think HIIT is very popular right now. Call it a fad, call it popular, call it a trend . . . . but the next "trend" will come along. They always do. Perhaps the word "fad" has a negative connotation to some.

Pam, I totally agree!
Old 03-29-15, 12:22 PM  
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
So for many of us HIIT or steady state, or exercise in general, can be a package deal with weight loss as part of the goal.
But weight loss is really more a function of overall activity and diet than any particular exercise regimen, which is why I don't think it's very useful to place too much focus on that. I mean, I'm sure many of us know of people who manage to lose weight while not exercising at all, while others who can train for marathons and lose nothing.

If you watch the program I linked to above there is an expert who says the best way to lose weight is simply by staying active (aka NEAT).
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 12:41 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
I mean, I'm sure many of us know of people who manage to lose weight while not exercising at all, while others who can train for marathons and lose nothing.

In my mid 30s, I ran religiously and did 10Ks every few months. My eating didn't change much from what it had been in my 20s, when I ran and was thin (full disclosure--I ate utter crap), but my weight packed on. The more I ran, the more excess fat I carried.

I know a woman, right now, who is in her late 30s and struggling with the same issue. She runs marathons. She trains religiously, but in the past five years, she's put on 20 pounds (she's about 5'2") that just won't budge. She eats no processed food, at all.

I really like steady state cardio, but too much of it stresses my immune system, so I do as much as I can without damaging my health. I like steady state lots more than hiit, although I get some hiit when I work in the garden.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 12:46 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Demeris - There are many forms of steady state cardio though. Running is, IMO, definitely on the high intensity end. When I think of the steady state cardio I do, it's primarily brisk walking and low impact moderately paced aerobics that aren't anywhere near the intensity or the length of running a marathon or even a 10K. I used to run but had to give it up due to knee issues and I remember being hungry a lot back then. I don't find that with the lower intensity steady state cardio I do now and, as I said earlier, I lost 10 lbs doing long brisk walks and yoga.

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 03-29-15, 01:07 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
But much of the research conducted on HIIT focuses on the more mundane aspects, including insulin sensitivity, aerobic fitness, and production of human growth hormone--all of which are important contributors to overall health and wellbeing.
Thanks for pointing this out. I may do some more research on this out of curiosity. (For the record, I enjoy both HIIT and steady state.)
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 03:00 PM  
marmact

HIIT is not a fad.

The primary difference with HIIT workouts is that your body continues to burn fat for many hours after the workout has been completed. That's why it's recommended by the professionals (if you follow any legitimate, big-name coaches on FB or other social media, you'll see that HIIT tends to be their primary fat loss protocol after lifting--when they include any cardio at all).

That being said, I personally enjoy steady state cardio for the mood-lifting benefits and will always include some for that reason. I'm not looking to look like a fitness model but I AM looking to feel sane most of the time.
Old 03-29-15, 03:03 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I agree that you don't hear much about steady state cardio, and that some of it---not all---is marketing to people who want the "latest and greatest." It can take more time, and some people seem to not want to spend that time exercising, particularly those who see exercise as a "chore" on their to-do list and don't get the genuine enjoyment that I do from it. I personally like a variety of cardio workouts, steady state, step, and HIiT, regardless of what is being pushed at the moment, and find value in all of them.

I recently rediscovered walking as it was the only form of cardio or exercising that I was permitted as I recovered from a ruptured appendix and surgery. Now that I am "almost" back to "normal" with respect to healing, I am realizing that I actually have enjoyed the walking. It has been good not only for my body, but for my soul. It has given me a chance to think, consider, and take time for myself without pushing my body to the limit. It has been a great addition to my routine, and intend to continue---I'm going out in just a few minutes---but also will follow it with a HiIT workout as a "finisher."
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 03:48 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I am realizing that I actually have enjoyed the walking. It has been good not only for my body, but for my soul. It has given me a chance to think, consider, and take time for myself without pushing my body to the limit. It has been a great addition to my routine, and intend to continue---I'm going out in just a few minutes---but also will follow it with a HiIT workout as a "finisher."
Yes, I feel the same way about walking, it can be very meditative and a good way to think things through. It is also a good way to have a visit with a walking companion and forget that you are actually exercising! My DH and I have friends that we walk & hike with regularly. I love my walking buddies! I can't say that I do any HIIT right now, although I have in the past, but may give it a try sometime!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

Tags
hiit, hiit versus steady state, steady state cardio