Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-14, 07:52 AM  
marmact

I'm fine with someone choosing to sue if they need to recoup medical expenses and lost work time. Plus, this is a major injury with lifelong repercussions. Not everyone has medical insurance or a sympathetic employer. The gym is responsible because they need to make sure their equipment is properly maintained.

That said, bands always make me nervous. I've had a couple snap. The ones with handles probably generate tremendous force.
Old 11-07-14, 09:30 AM  
gia6898

I remember reading advice somewhere to never use a band when it is in a position where it could snap you in the face if it breaks free from whatever is holding it in place. It is for this reason that I do not use bands for certain exercises. Biceps curls, sure. However, I will not be attaching bands to a doorknob and doing crazy things with them.
gia6898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 09:42 AM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk1 View Post
This woman can't see from one of her eyes. Believe me, you wouldn't want that to happen to you.
It did happen to me which is why I won't use bands anymore after reading this. It didn't happen from bands and it was a lot of years ago. When you can't see the wall the eye chart is on you have a problem. I had hemorrhages in both eyes and lost vision in both but I have some vision and that's a great thing.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 11:10 AM  
Taiga

I wonder why commercial places don't just mandate safety sleeves on all their bands. I use those for all band work done in risky positions. I want to focus on working out and I can't pull hard without knowing there is a protective sleeve.
Old 11-07-14, 11:54 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gia6898 View Post
I remember reading advice somewhere to never use a band when it is in a position where it could snap you in the face if it breaks free from whatever is holding it in place. It is for this reason that I do not use bands for certain exercises. Biceps curls, sure. However, I will not be attaching bands to a doorknob and doing crazy things with them.
Pilates nut of sorts, in the house!

I'd been idly wondering about the low-rent substitute for machines, door-knob style.

I'll have to be happy with the Exhale Core Fusion Lean and Toned: too-short resistance band was included with the DVD--now I see why!

I have a slightly tougher one from SPRI--even shorter.

It's like the home fitness manufacturers assessed the possible risks and does not sell us the health club kind ...
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 12:21 PM  
mspina

Totally a tragic accident, no doubt, and scary as we have all likely done this exercise at least once ourselves. But it sounds like it was an accident - the band slipped off her foot, according to the news link provided (not due to defective or ill-maintained equipment). I can't imagine someone suing a gym if they dropped a dumbbell on their head - this is no different. Actually, I take it back. Sadly, I CAN imagine someone suing over that..... The gym will probably settle out of court as that will be the cheapest route for them, which is too bad.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 04:02 PM  
bk1

Actually, I did see a case on tv where somebody sued another person successfully after the weight lifter dropped weights on the ground, and the weights hit a passer-by in the foot. He had broken bones in his foot and got his medical bills covered.

I noticed that my Spri bands have lighter handles, that probably wouldn't hurt me if I had something like that happen to me. The beachbody bands have the heavier handles that might be like what hit this woman in the eye.
bk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 07:09 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I just got home from a class at a barre studio that sometimes uses bands... noticed the bands were not hanging in their usual spot! Wondering if the owner got wind of this sitch? Can't say I blame her if she decided no more bands!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 07:57 PM  
imhere2dance

I've never liked bands because I find them very difficult to use. I used to use Leslie Sansone's fitcuff, and several snapped and broke. Most of the time it missed me, except one time when it struck me hard in the back of my calf. I had a dark, ugly bruise there for days. I only use dumbbells and ankle weights now.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 09:54 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
When I was going to physical therapy earlier this year, they started a new policy that anyone who does not wear glasses had to wear protective goggles when using the bands.
I love working with bands, but am aware of the risks. I'm glad to be reminded of the risks by this thread; and I remember the earlier thread too.

I wear glasses, so that's a bit of relief. But I do have safety glasses from my job, so maybe I'll use them too.

Bands are so convenient for my lifestyle right now, that I'd rather take proper safety precautions and use them instead of giving them up.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote