Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-14, 08:30 AM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

Somebody else is doing gadgets, and I'm charged with five at-home trends, so maybe:

Streaming
customizing workouts (I'll have to check that out, didn't know)
low impact dance (been into this myself and good for home because it doesn't matter how you look!)
Game system fitness?

one more?

Thanks for all the help!

Donna H
Old 09-25-14, 08:33 AM  
TinierTina

Look, I see it From Both Ends - Even if At the Lowish-End

Because I won a premium membership once to My Yoga Online.

Enter my big-city slow as molasses DSL transmission speed, and I find I can stream nearly nada ...

So what I wound up selecting - for permanent offline download, was paralleling my experience in real-world, live commercial yoga (in the more active, power style) experiences ... over a couple years - about 40 live classes a year

And I wanted about a 90% or more chance of these downloads not remaining "virgins" ...

So, I realize there are higher-end aficionados of live classes/workshops here on this site ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I was going to say that where I live, Zumba and Crossfit are still huge, and obstacle-course races (Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, many others) are like the new marathon that everyone seems to be aiming for. But I guess those aren't really "home" trends.
If VideoActive could mimic a road bike race for a spinner at home, so maybe that's an indication ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
You might write about fitness apps and tracker gadgets like Fitbit, Jawbone Up, etc. - those have exploded in the last few years. Apple's just-announced smartwatch has a fitness tracker, and Google and Microsoft are also getting into online health tracking.
You may as well continue that maybe home workout people were former instructor trainees who could not earn a living doing what they trained in ...
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 08:47 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Maybe online/distance training?

For example: https://www.fitocracy.com/team-fitness/

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 11:16 AM  
Eibhinn

I would say myofascial release of all kinds (like foam rolling). A few years ago I struggled to even find a foam roller, now they're becoming increasingly available and mainstream. It wasn't very long ago that myfascial release was mostly the domain of high performance athletes and weird fitness junkies like VFers, but now I see people I would never ever anticipate doing myofascial release recommending the Tiger Tail roller on Facebook, and seeing it in stores I would never expect. I think it's definitely passed the point of "increasingly popular" to mainstream trend. I agree with the HIIT suggestion as well, streaming workouts, apps and gadgets like Fitbit. I'd also add Jazzed-up running (no idea how else to put it). People seem to be getting bored of normal, basic races and are increasingly opting for obstacle course things like Tough Mudder, but also Zombie Runs, those Color Runs etc. Like running-plus.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 11:19 AM  
Eibhinn

I would say myofascial release of all kinds (like foam rolling). A few years ago I struggled to even find a foam roller, now they're becoming increasingly available and mainstream. It wasn't very long ago that myfascial release was mostly the domain of high performance athletes and weird fitness junkies like VFers, but now I see people I would never ever anticipate doing myofascial release recommending the Tiger Tail roller on Facebook, and seeing it in stores I would never expect. I think it's definitely passed the point of "increasingly popular" to mainstream trend. I agree with the HIIT suggestion as well, streaming workouts, apps and gadgets like Fitbit, and also Jazzed-up running (no idea how else to put it) people seem to be getting bored of normal, basic races and are increasingly opting for obstacle course things like Tough Mudder, but also Zombie Runs, those Color Runs etc. Themed races - I think that's the best way to refer to it. (More examples here: http://mashable.com/2014/02/27/weird-city-races/ or you can find lots of similar articles, seemingly all from the last two years or so, by googling "weird races" or "themed races")
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 11:22 AM  
jhsimpson

Since you mentioned that your article was to be for a regional mag. That may 'focus' the target audience. That being said here are my observations for my area (SW: TX/OK area)

Pop-Up group workouts (especially on Saturdays) - Now that the brutal Summer has wrapped up. More community or municipal sponsored free or nearly free (tip-based) workouts are offered at the park / rec center.

I've noticed less 'Boot-Camp for Profit' in the area. Could be a weather factor with the heat of Summer.

While the 'commercial' aspect is still prevalent. The days of the Spa/Gym are numbered. Seeing more $10 buck/month locations showing up all over (Planet Fitness, Crunch, Golds Gym Express). I think we are exhausted with the CrossFit or 'Boutique', Equinox/Lifetime Fitness exorbitant fees just to get our sweat on. Not to mention an aging population and the millennial youth looking for the best 'R.O.I.' on membership expenses.

Yoga Studios tend to be solid (no new ones and no closures). I've noticed more and more Krav Maga / MMA / KickBox studios opening (especially in old BlockBuster / Hollywood Video locations). Of course the CF 'boxes' are hiding in the industrial/warehouse sections in this area so I really don't keep tabs on what is where?

Now re-focusing on the DIY @ Home aspect.

It seems to be about the Apps for your device (Phone, Phab-let, Tablet, Desktop/Laptop, Media Consuming device - TV, ROKU, VideoGame Console)

Then there are the wearables (Bodybugg, FitBit, Polar/HRM, AppleWatch)

Streaming - As said above. All about lowering production overhead costs (producing DVDs) and getting to market as soon as possible. I've found trainers I would never hear of from VF who have their own site of downloadable/streaming content.

Google Hangouts / FaceTime - Skype Workouts: Follow-Along as a certain time/date events are starting to gain popularity. Plus some of these setups allow interaction with the trainer for tips/tricks and modifications if needed.

Then there are the toys (or no toys at all):

Suspension Trainers are still popular!

Bodyweight or Furniture workouts with household items are popular (use a towel or a dining room chair to workout)

Simple hand weights (cans of vegetables), Jump Rope (or Imaginary), Rebounders, Yoga Mat/Blocks (Pillows, Dictionary/Book, Towel(s))

I've noticed less of the expensive 'exercise machinery' offered at the sporting good or big box stores. Treadmills, Stationary Bike, and other contraptions are not on the display floor. More of a push for the real thing like actual Bicycle or their profit makers (clothing & shoes).
jhsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 11:48 AM  
restlessnative

don't know if this is what you are looking for
but i have been doing shorter, more intense workouts. intervals - more "efficient" workouts. in less time that it would take to drive to a gym.
the shorter workout - (sometimes twice a day), makes it easy to fit in. hard to make excuses not to do them.

diversity, too.
i can do intervals on / with many different things- the rebounder (yes, bungee). I try to throw in a few sets of body weight - ex. push offs (off of the kitchen counters) every other day or so, kettle bell swings, yoga etc..
restlessnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 12:43 PM  
PrairieGem

Just from being a VFer for the last year, I'd break it down:

1. Paid streaming subscriptions (to professional sites like Yogaglo or Fitness Blender)

2. Free, casual online workouts with basic/low production values; ie, filmed in the instructor's home (Jessica Smith, Zuzana, and random folks who just put up videos on YouTube)

3. Very short workout systems, especially those from companies/instructors that previously cornered the market on hour+ long workouts. Firm Express, Focus T25, P90X3, etc.

4. Recovery/functional fitness/alignment (like the foam roller suggestion mentioned earlier, plus Classical Stretch or Jill Miller type rehab workouts, as well as "gentle" workouts like Ellen Barret, Leslie, etc)

5....And I'm not sure this exactly counts as a "home fitness trend," but maybe the backlash against impossible-to-achieve results and a move to embrace body diversity and self-acceptance? (Like trainer Molly Galbraith blogs about.) I guess maybe that won't count until we see average-looking folks in infomercials.
Old 09-25-14, 01:45 PM  
TinierTina

Health at Any Size unless Teachers go Remote ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Just from being a VFer for the last year, I'd break it down:

And I'm not sure this exactly counts as a "home fitness trend," but maybe the backlash against impossible-to-achieve results and a move to embrace body diversity and self-acceptance? (Like trainer Molly Galbraith blogs about.) I guess maybe that won't count until we see average-looking folks in infomercials.
That's an anywhere fitness trend.

Great for us Health at Any Size activist-types.

Some of the worst offenders are on Google Helpouts now. And in second jobville. I could name some personally, but I've formerly panned the studio on Yelp! The world is getting wise to those who would discriminate in real life. So, they have no choice but to keep their opinions to themselves ...

Hoping for some in vivo private sessions to be sure ...

But they would better prepare. Anyway, the more economically situated private student won't take what an average studio goer might, in the way of crap ...

Last edited by TinierTina; 09-25-14 at 01:48 PM. Reason: precision
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 01:58 PM  
marmact

I'm not sure I understand the assignment. Other than streaming/downloading, there are probably ZERO trends that are "only" for home fitness. Pretty much everything crosses over--what's happening in the gym tends to work its way into home workouts.

My suggestion was going to be online program design/coaching, as this is a really popular and growing field. However, it's for people in gyms or at home or doing bootcamps in parks or working out at the corporate gym or whatever.

Perhaps some actual research is warranted.

Tags
fitness trends, terri walsh