Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-14, 04:51 PM  
Buttercup

You might try Pandora. They have some work out stations. I like the Techno Cardio one, but that's my taste. They do repeat the music, though because I use the free one. The ads only come up every 15 minutes or so and it is usually just one ad (so much better than radio).
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 04:52 PM  
Pascal

Thanks for the info!!

I would LOVE to find a way to play different music during Low Impact Challenge. The choreography in that one is fun - and I like that she includes the warm up in the all combos chapter - but lawd, is the music BAD. So uninspiring!!

In fact, I'd love to add my own music to lots of Cathe's recent cardio offerings, if I could. The workouts are fun and I enjoy them, but this Weird Al 'same music, different lyrics' kick she's been on is not my taste. At all. And while I appreciate the Triple Tracks Audio she offers, the songs often lose the melody once the vocals are removed.

But you VFers have given me lots of options, so thanks!

(And for the record, I love me some Weird Al. Just not for Cardio.)
Old 07-31-14, 04:54 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
Whatever you use, let me warn you on the Jambox. My husband has two, a small one and a large one. They have each broken twice and had to be replaced. Jambox did replace them, but it is not worth the price and hassle. Plus, there are now a lot of other versions for about 1/4 the price. Sam's Club just put out one for about $60. My husband paid over $200 for one, the other was a gift.
Can I ask what happened with yours? I have the large one and so does my brother in law. He's had his since that size came out (mine was a Christmas present) and we haven't had any trouble - his even survived a tumble out of his truck and a few bounces on the pavement in a parking lot. I'm curious so I can hopefully avoid it with mine.
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 05:01 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Thanks for the info!!

(And for the record, I love me some Weird Al. Just not for Cardio.)
Oh good! I was all set to put up my dukes to defend Weird Al.

I am pretty sure that Low Impact Challenge was 133 BPM. I used this:

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

So all I can say is "pretty sure." One song that turned out to be 133 bpm is MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." So that was fun. I think some of the other songs I tried did not work so well because with step aerobics there needs to be a really defined up beat to synchronize your steps with.

ETA: Or maybe it's the downbeat. I don't know-- that's the problem!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-14, 05:12 PM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

The Weird Al concert I went to a year or so ago was the best concert I've ever been to in my life. There were families, older folks, young folks, weird folks, normal folks -- all having such a great time. Sort of the perfect utopian society we all want!
Old 07-31-14, 09:37 PM  
Buttercup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
Can I ask what happened with yours? I have the large one and so does my brother in law. He's had his since that size came out (mine was a Christmas present) and we haven't had any trouble - his even survived a tumble out of his truck and a few bounces on the pavement in a parking lot. I'm curious so I can hopefully avoid it with mine.
Nothing happened! That is what was so frustrating. My DH is very careful of his electronics and both Jamboxes, a large and a small, died. Twice. Each! The company did replace them, and Best Buy replaced one (it was within 30 days) but it was kind of a pain. If you ever have a problem, contact the company. He called them, shipped the old ones back and they sent new ones. Maybe he just had bad luck.
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-14, 12:59 PM  
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
The Weird Al concert I went to a year or so ago was the best concert I've ever been to in my life. There were families, older folks, young folks, weird folks, normal folks -- all having such a great time. Sort of the perfect utopian society we all want!
Weird Al was my first concert. I his music. So glad he's still making new stuff, too (and had the #1 album last week!!). I totally agree with your assessments on his fan base, too!!
Old 08-01-14, 01:01 PM  
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Oh good! I was all set to put up my dukes to defend Weird Al.

I am pretty sure that Low Impact Challenge was 133 BPM. I used this:

http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

So all I can say is "pretty sure." One song that turned out to be 133 bpm is MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." So that was fun. I think some of the other songs I tried did not work so well because with step aerobics there needs to be a really defined up beat to synchronize your steps with.

ETA: Or maybe it's the downbeat. I don't know-- that's the problem!
Wow, that link is so cool!! Thanks for the info. I really do like the choreography in LIC, just wish it had better music. This gives me hope!
Old 08-01-14, 03:47 PM  
Chomper

I did Low Impact Challenge today with a spotify playlist and overall it was pretty dire. I did not screen the songs well enough and too many of them were new agey electronic stuff. Also, spotify can be a little buggy and stopped working at one point. (We also getting internet dropouts). The short commercials don't bug me with drill style and strength workouts but they are annoying with choreographed cardio. On top of all that, Cathe doesn't teach or cue this very well, and I've only done it a couple of times, so the frustration factor was high. The one high point was when MC Hammer's u Can't Touch This came on during the lunge kicks in the blast section at the end.

I will keep honing the playlist and when I think it's decent enough, post the name of it on here for anyone to use.
Old 08-01-14, 04:16 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotThatGirl View Post
When it's early in the morning or late at night I use my iPhone and ear buds
Oh, I wanted to add to this-- there are a few occasions I wanted to play my own music but be really quiet to not disturb other people in the house. So I can say that using an ipod/iphone/whatever with ear buds does work quite well. I have done cardio weight circuits with no problem. I have also gone running outside and used an exercise bike without an issue.

Having somewhere handy for the device is important, and my favorite accessory is this:

http://www.amazon.com/SPIbelt-Adult-...words=flipbelt

The wires from the earbuds might dangle and get in the way, so I usually tuck them out of the way with just enough give to do the full range of motion I will need for the workout.

I use athletic style earbuds like these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-AS20J...tic+headphones

There are a lot of different types to choose from. All I can say about mine are that they don't fall out of my ears THAT often.