Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-25-14, 07:28 AM  
rheash92

Heavy weights and weight loss

Would you lift heavy weights if you had weight to lose (Im talking about 15-20 lbs)? I have done STS several years ago as well as CLX but those programs made me bulky. I did gain strength but I also gained some weight (I was eating clean with restricted calories). Im thinking about either Cathe Xtrain or Body Beast (want to get it during the sale).

Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 08:54 AM  
fit44

Yes, lift heavy while losing body fat! It will prevent your body from losing muscle while eating caloric deficit. Scale weight may slow down, but it will not slow down fat loss. Make sure you use photos and tape measure because the scale will mess with your head.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 08:55 AM  
FirmHeels

I did STS and CLX rotations in the year prior to my wedding and I lost weight and had no issues with bulk. Everyone is different but my body never really bulks. That said, in the long term, I prefer systems like Cathe's XTrain rather than heavy weights so I would never discourage you from buying that. I don't have Body Beast yet, so that's the only reason I didn't comment on that one.
FirmHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 09:01 AM  
laurajhawk

I agree it's a good way to lose weight. It's critical to manage the food though. You need to control your calories, obviously, to prevent bulking (adding muscle while keeping the fat), but also you need to get ENOUGH calories to fuel those heavy workouts. It means you need to eat really well (clean) and possibly more than you think you need. I remember doing P90X (which isn't *really* heavy but was pretty heavy for me) and having to force myself to eat all the protein at the beginning.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 09:09 AM  
Vee

I have never bulked from exercising.

For my body type, lifting works to shrink me when I need to lose fat, better than anything else. I don't see much benefit from steady state cardio or interval training that combines cardio with lifting.

Intense yoga and kettlebell timed "metabolic" workouts are quite effective, but not as much as lifting reasonably heavy.

I don't want to veer away from the guidelines but I think it may have something to do with being vegan - my diet is not high in protein. I don't use supplements or meal replacement shakes or bars. That may have something to do with why I don't build large muscles. I have a hard time keeping muscles firm and toned without resistance traing, as I get soft, shapeless and squishy.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 09:15 AM  
Sarah-lara
VF Supporter

I always "bulk" (from the water weight swelling) for 4-6 weeks following the start of a new heavy weights program. This is a little longer than "they" say will happen, so I can see why it would worry some people. I should really stop taking breaks so this wouldn't happen again! But anyway, after that period, I definitely get to be my smallest, firmest, best looking, strongest, etc. from heavy weights. Love 'em.
Old 07-25-14, 09:37 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
I have never bulked from exercising.

For my body type, lifting works to shrink me when I need to lose fat, better than anything else. I don't see much benefit from steady state cardio or interval training that combines cardio with lifting.

Intense yoga and kettlebell timed "metabolic" workouts are quite effective, but not as much as lifting reasonably heavy.

I don't want to veer away from the guidelines but I think it may have something to do with being vegan - my diet is not high in protein. I don't use supplements or meal replacement shakes or bars. That may have something to do with why I don't build large muscles. I have a hard time keeping muscles firm and toned without resistance traing, as I get soft, shapeless and squishy.
Same for me---- I shrink with heavy weights. And I never do protein supplements or try to add more protein foods. More calories of anything makes me bigger. My diet is mostly high in veges. Fish and organic eggs here and there but no other animal proteins.

Bulk is all about the diet, not the barbell. Muscles don't get bigger without the protein calories and fat won't stay unless there are extra calories. Depending on your goal (some folks want bigger muscles), you can manipulate results with what and how much you eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-lara View Post
I always "bulk" (from the water weight swelling) for 4-6 weeks following the start of a new heavy weights program. This is a little longer than "they" say will happen, so I can see why it would worry some people. I should really stop taking breaks so this wouldn't happen again! But anyway, after that period, I definitely get to be my smallest, firmest, best looking, strongest, etc. from heavy weights. Love 'em.
That swelling period can really vary with the individual. Diet, sleep, stress play a huge part in how fast you condition. I had a friend who was a carb/sodium junky and she finally gave up on her weight lifting efforts due to the puffiness.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 09:56 AM  
Sophie

I have both lost and gained weight while doing heavy weights, and have come to the conclusion that it has more to do with other stressors in my life that affect my eating habits and overall activity level, rather than lifting heavy itself.

In either case, though, I've gotten stronger and most importantly, experienced less pain (I have chronic knee and shoulder issues) so for me the overall benefits trump everything else.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 10:26 AM  
sciencelady

I train with heavy weights with either goals of losing weight or gaining strength. However, I am stronger at a higher body weight (1RM are greater) than if I am in weight loss mode. So, for me depends on what goal I'm pursuing at the time.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 11:32 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
However, I am stronger at a higher body weight (1RM are greater) than if I am in weight loss mode.
Thank you for saying this! I totally agree, and think that this is sometimes overlooked (not necessarily by VFers, but in general). The times in my life I've been my thinnest, I've also felt the weakest. I'm a lot happier and feel much more... robust and capable, when I'm about 10 lbs over my supposed "ideal" weight for my height/bone structure.

Tags
dumbbell size, heavy weights, weights only