Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-15, 11:51 PM  
bfit

Do you sometimes find it hard to fit in because you're fit?

This is kind of a strange question, but do you ever feel as if you don't have that much in common with a lot of people because you're fit? It seems like everyone I know is always talking about how out of shape they are, how they want to lose weight, how they tried some kind of exercise and then they got injured, and so on. Please don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing people who don't exercise a lot or who are struggling with injuries and/or weight issues, and I'm far from perfect myself. But, sometimes it would be nice to hear about fitness instead of just fitness frustrations. Other than this forum, do you all find other people with similar fitness levels and interests? If so, where are they?!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 12:18 AM  
Pam

I have been considering joining the one gym in this area to meet people who are physically fit or are really interested in fitness. I do feel odd or left out when conversations as you describe come up.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 12:47 AM  
dela

You may do well joining a gym with classes that you enjoy, I met a lot of people in a challenge the gym was holding, it was fun to talk so much about workouts and styles and trainers, etc. Regardless of your fitness level, it is fun and motivating to find like minded friends.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 09:19 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I don't know anyone with similar fitness interests - never have. No one I know eats clean and healthy either - including my hubby.

I don't feel like I don't fit in, though, and I'm not looking for people with similar interests.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 01:56 PM  
MsThistlebottom

My boss is about the only other person I know IRL who is interested in fitness. She and I take walks after lunch when the weather is nice. We talk about weight training, fitness goals--and sometimes cute shoes. It's been great.

For a variety of reasons, though, I don't feel like I fit in. Do I care? Nope!

What is more disconcerting at my age (61) is that most of the women I meet in my age group seem to have given up and see being unfit and unhealthy as an inevitable sign of aging. Drives me batty.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 02:18 PM  
Indy

I have some friends that I sometimes hang out with and most of them aren't into fitness or eating healthy. My husband and I follow a clean diet and usually don't deviate from that too much so getting together with these friends sometimes presents some problems for us. If everyone decides to get Pizza - we won't prevent that from happening but we also won't eat it so we have "gone hungry" in those situations.

I have been a regular home exerciser for quite some time. I have alluded to that fact but I could never convince any of our friends to join me. I doubt any of them would be comfortable doing what I am interested in so actually, I don't fret about that. I figure it is something for me and in the end I don't want anybody else placing restrictions on when and what I chose to do on any particular day. It was helpful when my sister and I worked out together. On the days I didn't want to do it - the fact that she did motivated me.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 04:32 AM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I don't know anyone with similar fitness interests - never have. No one I know eats clean and healthy either - including my hubby.
I could have written this post. People think I'm totally weird because I love working out and when DH and I go out to eat I always pick healthy meals. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "that's why you're so skinny!". No I'm this way because I workout and eat healthy 90% of the time. My son's ex acually called me a freak! Several times.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-15, 06:31 AM  
Demeris

With a few exceptions, my friends and family are all fitness oriented, even though I'm the only one who works out at home to dvds.

When I was working, however, my eating choices, choices I came to after much serious research and experimentation and which are all about fostering and maintaining my health, seemed to bring out the ire in everyone around me.
I found this odd since I never brought the subject up, but they would demand that I eat their cookies or their edemame. I always declinef politely, but they would harp on my food choices as if I had insulted their God.

One woman, chowing down on the contents of an El Taco bag, told me that she couldn't afford to eat the way I did. All I know is that I'd rather pay a few dollars extra for some grass fed beef than eat the overly-processed-transfat-infused-carb-heavy food she had every day.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-15, 09:19 AM  
Sollamyn

I know what you mean.

I'm in my mid-50s and most of the people I know (particularly those in my age-group--that is, give or take 10 years) are over-weight, if not obese, and very few of them are interested in healthy eating or fitness. While I wouldn't say I'm a superfit person, I am trying to be healthy and I think it would really help me if I had a few family members or friends who shared that interest. Oh, there is the occasional person who drops a bunch of weight on the latest diet trend. That rarely turns out well in the long run, though. What I'm shooting for, and what I'd like to find in others, is a healthy lifestyle approach (regular exercise/moderate diet) that will last me a life time. Most of the time, however, I feel as though I'm on my own.

Donna
Old 02-10-15, 09:26 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I have one friend who is fitness minded, even though she is still overweight due to the fact that she's constantly flying to Florida to help her daughter out and has no time for herself anymore. We met when we were both taking karate and even after we stopped that, we continued to at least walk a few miles on a regular basis. She's getting ready to move to Florida and once she goes, I will not have any local friends who have any interest in fitness. I'm thinking of joining a softball team this spring and will hopefully meet some new people.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote