Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-16-20, 06:21 PM  
patchworkpenguin

I got to start a new page in my workout journal. It seems like I just said that after it being forever but here it is time to change again! Starting a new page makes me ridiculously happy

I've tried an experiment over the past month or so. I tend to get sore, very sore, from 'not very strenuous' {in my mind} workouts especially legwork. I know some consider getting sore a hallmark of a good, effective workout, but I prefer not to get sore because its embarrassing to 'walk funny' and moan and groan when I move . I always stretch well after any workout, tailored to the workout {more stretches for the area I worked the most} but I started to wonder if it was the stretches at all?! So I started to make sure I did a good 'cool down' section, walking slower for a few minutes between the actual workout part and the stretching and that seems to have made all the difference. A lot of workouts tend to skip, this so I've had to make sure to do it on my own including walking in place during the upper body stretches whenever possible.

Happy to hear that I'm a trend setter when it comes to barre workouts! I admit to preferring the easier workouts that focus on squats, because I consider them the easy workout but I'm hoping to work my way up to the different versions, but probably not floorwork. I like paring them with cardio afterwards. I'm just excited to find something new and interesting besides walking workouts. It will be interesting to compare notes on what we like and dislike.

I made chili in the crockpot today. i was planning on having it for lunch tomorrow with fresh cornbread and then leftovers for the weekend. My parents came over today so that Dad could add trim to the last replaced window. this is the one in my DR. we don't actually eat in the DR but have split the table lengthwise into two desks. This window is behind me but its also the main window to look out the front of the house. We actually have a huge window in the front of the LR but it is covered with curtains, bookshelves and our flatscreeen.

Today was UTTB fitness mashup. I found a 6m warmup walk, followed it with 6m standing abs, Move into 2019 {i'm sure I've done this at least twice} followed by a 6m Cooldown walk. I was disappointed in the CD walk because she started us laying on the ground, this would have been better labeled a stretch workout. So I walked in place for a few minutes then stretched on my own, as usual. I like having something playing while I stretch, even if I'm doing my own thing.

Nora, sorry to hear the cottage is closed up. its always a disappointment to come home after an extended trip, or even a short one.

Terri, I can relate to your mood, but I hope you get back to normal soon. I hope you like the workout. and that it perks you up

SB, glad you got to visit with your sister. Hope you find a good workout dvd.

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 09:04 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a short premix from KCM's Body Shop and that was it for the day.
It rained all day so no outdoor walk.
I did a little house walking but not much to speak of, even though I just did speak of it. I am looking forward to an outdoor walk today even though it's a chilly one so far. I'll wait until this afternoon and it "warms" up into the 50s.

TERRI, that's some nice treadmill walking you did. I use a 15 lb kettlebell which is supposedly on the light side for swings so it's not as strenuous as it sounds. I get in funks with meal planning too. If I only cooked for myself I'm sure there would be very little "cooking" involved and I'd eat something easy and probably not so great.

NORA, welcome home. I'm sure it's going to feel like a long cold winter for you with no travelling. I think the new Cathe's are coming next week.

PENGUIN, I'm glad you figured out a relatively simple solution to the leg soreness. Yummy to the chili with homemade cornbread

Have a great day everyone!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-20, 04:44 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

SB - I'm happy to hear that the Cathes will be here soon. I ordered on a whim and never checked back, but was just assuming they would be out around Xmas.

PP- Well, I still haven't pulled out a barre workout, but one of these days....

Terri - Kettleballs is one fitness trend that I have completely avoided, and will continue to avoid. I picture myself hurling it (accidently) through a window or something.

Today: 1 hour walk.
Old 10-17-20, 05:56 PM  
patchworkpenguin

Ok, I'm worn out. Today i started with PopSugar's 30m Barre Sculpting workout. They introduced a guest instructor, and I felt her workout was more cardio than barre plus it ended with a 11m stretch which I skipped.

Not feeling I had done a barre workout I added on another, LA Barre Fitness' 15m Barre Blast. this started with a warmup that included barre burpees and planks {yuck} but the majority of the workout was on our toes with squats and lunges. the instructor gave good form pointers which helped out. My arches may never be the same and I might want to look up how to spell the correct terms so I can use them

Then I wanted cardio so tried Body Project's LI HI cardio workout. The male lead and female lead, Alex, take turns leading a HIIT style workout. Some of these are really fun but some, like this, aren't. Male lead leans towards punches as his cardio {while standing still} while sometimes Alex has dancy fun moves and sometimes squats and lunges, which I had already done in the previous two workouts and my legs just wanted to give out! I realize that cardio is considered anything that gets your heart rate up, but I consider cardio anything that increases my step count.

At any rate I'm tired and want to go sit on the couch for a while. .

SB, We have a circuit route in our house that I occasionally walk {or even more fun chase Cindy though} but its not very fun or motivating. I picked a great day to make the chili, the low got down to 43* Lowest so far this year but thankfully the temps are going to be higher next week, although its supposed to rain tomorrow!

Nora, I did KBs for a while and was always nervous I'd lose my grip and hurl it though the TV and the window behind it! I always put my dog outside also. I didn't want to explain a cracked skull to the vet! "no really, I was exercising!" Cathe sure knows how to set up Christmas gifts!

"An exercise in futility still counts as exercise!"

"There's a pattern to the randomness!" ~ Artie ~ Warehouse 13

"Weakness is hard, but weakness doesn't have to mean defeat!" ~ Lysa TerKeurst

"That's the only break you get, so I hope you enjoyed it" ~~Cathe, STS, Meso 2

patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-20, 08:54 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a 50 minute walk in the afternoon and 100 kettlebell swings after dinner. I am planning a walk today and maybe some PBL before my subscription expires this week. As much as I enjoyed Lisa's workouts, I'm losing interest already so I'll say good-bye for now. It's not like I don't have dozens of pilates workouts on dvd and youtube is loaded with pilates too.
Well DH finally put the heat on this morning. He holds out as long as he can but we hit freezing overnight I think so yeah, it's time.

NORA, nice walk. Is Woody back with you?

PENGUIN, well you're persistent in finding a good workout, good for you. I have a small house so after 5 minutes I've been through it several times already. Not very motivating at all. I like kettlebell swings because they get my heartrate soaring but they always seem to tweak my back. I've been feeling the twinges already so I'll probably have to back off again.

Waves to all. Have a good one!

Old 10-18-20, 03:21 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Man, I was going to post how chilly it felt when I got up yesterday morning, but I knew y'all wouldn't be impressed even before I read the posts and saw 40 and 50 degrees!!! It was 72 inside my house, and I was cold. Seriously.

It does get me moving more, to warm up. I did a lot on the treadmill, and parts of several not great things on YouTube. I even cooked, and turned on the oven since it seemed cold. I don't guess moving north is in my future.

Penguin, you do get a nice variety in your workouts. I always closed the door to my workout room when I did kettlebells, because of my cat, I was afraid I'd knock him out. I also worried about losing my grip when I first started them, but felt safe after a short time.

SB, I'm afraid to hear what temp you think is chilly, if 50's is warming up

Nora, I've never been a traveler, I'll do it but I'm more of a homebody.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-20, 05:44 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Well Terri, from your statements about cold and not moving north I'm going to say that if you lived in Quebec you WOULD be a traveler....to the south!

SB- Woody is still with his othermother, but I hope to get him back this week. He had a skin itchy problem and was on meds. We wanted to see how he would do after he got off them before coming to me, as the vet is closer to her. All reports so far seem good.

PP-I've been known to pace the house to get my step #s up too. I live in a big old farmhouse, so my circuit is probably bigger than yours, but it still gets boring.

Today was nice out, so I did a 1 hour walk. I wanted to take advantage of the nice weather as days of rain loom in the forecast.
Old 10-19-20, 08:16 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Hi all !!

Yesterday I did a couple of PBL routines in the morning and a 55 minute walk in the afternoon. I am definitely going to miss PBL, she works you good. The first workout was waist trimming with light weights and the second was clams. Just 8 minutes of unweighted clams and I have some nice glute DOMS today. I'm hoping she has a great Black Friday sale but I don't think she does. I am planning a walk today and maybe more PBL.

TERRI, my dream is to move south one day so it's warm for most of the year. I don't like the cold weather but 50s I can live with.
Once it starts getting into the teens and 20s, them I'm not happy.

NORA, glad Woody is doing better.
Well rain is better than snow right?
My niece lives in Montana and she keeps putting up pictures on IG of the snow they're getting now

Waves to all. Have a great day!
Old 10-19-20, 12:21 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I walked after dinner last night, and I've done 35 minutes on the treadmill so far today. I wouldn't be posting yet, but I finally found out how to sync my fitbit One again, and it's installing an update. It says I haven't synced since March, but didn't say what year, and I do not remember if it was this year or not.

I noticed the time was off by several minutes, so tried, again, to sync it, and read their forums, and finally found a way to make it "locate" my fitbit and update! I'm happier than that deserves, I know.

HI to everybody

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-20, 09:24 PM  
nora
VF Supporter

Terri, I really like my fitbit. My newest one senses everything I do so I don't have to do anything. I do find it overestimates how much I sleep, but who knows?

SB- rain is definitely better than snow. Hopefully, we don't have to contend with that for a while. I phoned the garage for an appointment to get my snow tires on. I was thinking later in November or Dec. But she said to come today, in case they have to close due to a lockdown or something. so I did. Winter is coming! Blech.

Today: Rain held off, so I did a 1 hour walk. Then, walked around the village for another half hour or so, while my tires got changed.