Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-20, 07:42 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I'm reading The Royal Nanny by Karen Harper. It's pretty good. And, I'm reading Finnikin of the Rock, an insanely good science fiction book.

Alison - I'm up-to-date on The Thief series and I just have BitterBlue to read in the other series I've been reading. So, I decided to start this series and I'm having a hard time putting it down! Thanks again for the recommendations!
Yesss! I hardcore love the Lumatere Chronicles. They rank in my all-time faves list.

I got the final Thief book in the mail and I reread the entire series to prep for it, lol. (But I'm on a mini-vacation with my parents in their RV so I paused that reading for when I get back home! I didn't want any distractions.)

I hope you like Bitterblue. I'm sure I said this before but that one just stuck with me in a bad way. Too sad, too hopeless. The Lumatere books are very dark as well, with some similar themes, but they felt more hopeful and redemptive for me. Oh well...

Most recently I read Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series (first time for me). I'm not sure I loved them...but I'm glad I read them.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-20, 07:55 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
I just finished Anxious People by Fredrick Backman.
I liked this book a lot!!

For Twilight fans, I just read Midnight Sun (retelling of Twilight from Edward's perspective). I had low expectations and was really surprised at how much I liked it.
Old 10-20-20, 07:56 AM  
Carol K

I finished The Twisted Sword, 11th book of the Poldark series. I think it's my favorite so far and I wish they would do a TV adaptation of the last 5 books, as I've said before. Unfortunately, the Chicago library system only has a single copy of the 12th book, Bella Poldark, and someone put it on hold right before I did. I'm going to read Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel next.
Old 10-20-20, 09:14 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

John Grisham came out with the third book in the Jake Brigance series called "A Time for Mercy".

I bought it but I have to re-read the second book called "Sycamore Row" (released in 2013) first so I can remember what happened!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-20, 11:32 AM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
John Grisham came out with the third book in the Jake Brigance series called "A Time for Mercy".

I bought it but I have to re-read the second book called "Sycamore Row" (released in 2013) first so I can remember what happened!
There are so many holds on the new book at our library it will probably be months before I get it. Good idea about re-reading Sycamore Row. I think I'll do that too.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-20, 03:07 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annette View Post
There are so many holds on the new book at our library it will probably be months before I get it. Good idea about re-reading Sycamore Row. I think I'll do that too.
Wow! Yeah, I have Kindle Unlimited so I don’t buy ebooks often but I really like the Jake Brigance character. But I picture Matthew McConaughey as Jake though, lol.

I have a hard time remembering what I ate yesterday so remembering a seven year old plot is hard!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-20, 09:59 PM  
BunnyHop

You know you've got cabin fever when you have a new book to read but forget its existence until about five minutes before bedtime. (And I'd been planning to go to bed early to read it. So much for my memory.)

It's just Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett, but I've been looking forward to it.

Got busy with the sewing machine this evening and was totally distracted.
Old 10-25-20, 10:57 PM  
BunnyHop

Me again.

I got a new book today (Amazon does Sunday delivery?) and thought I'd share my first impressions. Xiu Yang: Self Cultivation for a Healthier, Happier, More Balanced Life by Mimi Kuo-Deemer.

I got her qigong dvd sets the other day and was sufficiently impressed that I bought this book, just to see what she has to say.

I do like the focus of the book. One of the distinctions she makes is to use the phrase self cultivation, as distinct from self help or self care. Those are too limited. Cultivating the self has broader and deeper, more long lasting goals.

I look forward to reading more. I've decided to make this one of the books for which I create formal notes as I go. It really does help me focus on the material, so that's a good thing.
Old 10-29-20, 05:12 PM  
Genevieve M

Just finished 'The Devil in White City' - I know, I'm a little behind the times. Am not reading a biography of Frederick Law Olmstead. He is the father of American landscape architecture and designed Central Park.

In Boston, he designed a series of parks called 'the Emerald Necklace'. He led an interesting life.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 06:46 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
Just finished 'The Devil in White City' - I know, I'm a little behind the times.
Hey, you got through it before Leo finished filming it. I cannot wait to see how it comes out -- I hope they do finish it.

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading