Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-19, 09:27 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybug View Post
Let me know how this goes because that's the one I plan to do when I do this workout again next time!
I did the premix that doubled each blast. I think I put that it is 68 minutes but it's 61 minutes.

I liked the combo routines the preceded each blast. The moves were familiar ones to me but they were put together in different ways. As an aside, they were short routines so it would have been okay with me if they were repeated 8 times instead of the traditional IMAX 6 times.

The blasts were a mixed bag. A few were hard, a few were moderate, and one or two were not really "blasts", IMHO. There were a few that were different than Cathe had used before.

I'm glad I looked at some of the comments because the workout on it's own might have been less intense than I look for in a workout called "IMAX." The double blast premix worked for me in terms of length and intensity. I think the next time I will do one of the other two mish mosh premixes.

I am thrilled to see new step workouts in general. I will definitely make this new IMAX work for me, either on an "easier" day as designed, or using the longer premixes.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 09:16 AM  
ChelePA

Just did PHA with stacker abs this morning. For weights with Cathe, I have always been an advanced intermediate. Especially with upper body. I usually can’t lift as heavy as her. I used the same weights and felt very challenged. I liked the combos of exercises. A few familiar with a new twist. The ab routine was unique and a nice change of pace. I felt the burn on a few of those exercises too. I really like the pace of this PHA. Definitely a cardio effect. 
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 09:26 AM  
ChelePA

My thoughts on Step Sync. I love step!!! I really enjoyed the familiar moves with new variations. I was able to pick up the choreography pretty quickly. For me, the workout was more an intermediate level. Intensity can be increased by raising step height or jumping/lifting on many of the moves. Perfect for lighter days and lots of fun!
Old 12-21-19, 09:35 AM  
horusosiris

I agree with the previous reviews. This is a solid intermediate, fun routine (and I emphasis fun). If you do Cathe's step routines then most of the choreography is not new, rather the choreography is combined in new ways. I actually enjoyed the way she built the routine because there was not too much repetition. I had no trouble following the workout the first time through. I found myself trying to guess what Cathe workout the moves came from. I did have to think some about what was coming next when she put the finished routine together at the end. I liked it!
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 11:30 AM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I did the premix that doubled each blast. I think I put that it is 68 minutes but it's 61 minutes.

I liked the combo routines the preceded each blast. The moves were familiar ones to me but they were put together in different ways. As an aside, they were short routines so it would have been okay with me if they were repeated 8 times instead of the traditional IMAX 6 times.

The blasts were a mixed bag. A few were hard, a few were moderate, and one or two were not really "blasts", IMHO. There were a few that were different than Cathe had used before.

I'm glad I looked at some of the comments because the workout on it's own might have been less intense than I look for in a workout called "IMAX." The double blast premix worked for me in terms of length and intensity. I think the next time I will do one of the other two mish mosh premixes.

I am thrilled to see new step workouts in general. I will definitely make this new IMAX work for me, either on an "easier" day as designed, or using the longer premixes.
Thanks for reporting back! And I too am thrilled with new step workouts!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 11:41 AM  
horusosiris

I did PHA 3 this morning. This is a very intermediate workout. Since I knew what to expect the second time through each exercise, I used heavier dumbbells than Cathe and crew. I liked the selection of exercises, the pace of the exercises and the variations using the platform and sliding discs. This PHA workout had a definite cardio effect ,even more than the other PHA workouts. I do think that I enjoy some of the Cathe Live PHA workouts a bit more. I am already thinking about how I can use the workout blender to combine sections of this PHA workout with other Cathe workouts. I may create a PHA mix in which no exercises are repeated. I will definitely add more tricep work. I felt that the leg work in this PHA was perfect.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-19, 02:25 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I did PHA 3 this morning. This is a very intermediate workout. Since I knew what to expect the second time through each exercise, I used heavier dumbbells than Cathe and crew. I liked the selection of exercises, the pace of the exercises and the variations using the platform and sliding discs. This PHA workout had a definite cardio effect ,even more than the other PHA workouts. I do think that I enjoy some of the Cathe Live PHA workouts a bit more. I am already thinking about how I can use the workout blender to combine sections of this PHA workout with other Cathe workouts. I may create a PHA mix in which no exercises are repeated. I will definitely add more tricep work. I felt that the leg work in this PHA was perfect.
Funny how we’re all different. I thought this was very challenging compared to the other 2 videos. But I’m on the weaker side compared to Cathe especially upper body. I really enjoyed it!
Old 12-21-19, 02:42 PM  
angie_nrs

Step sync

I did Step Sync this afternoon and really liked it. As someone else posted, it's a lot like Step Moves as far as intensity is concerned. The moves were just tricky enough to keep me engaged but not too tricky as to be frustrating. I still had a couple of missed steps at the end, but I think I'll pick it up quite quickly the next time around. I'd consider it a pretty easy workout, but fun.

There were just a couple places where cueing could've been better, like when saying were going to do a mouthful before taking off. I'd rather her say what those moves would be beforehand during the short intermissions between step groupings. Although, really it's just a minor complaint b/c the workout was unique and enjoyable. The music was OK....I really didn't notice it much b/c I was too busy trying to learn the moves.

I'll have to go back and see if there is a premix eliminating the power box between sections. I just didn't think they were necessary and have been overdone in previous workouts. Other than that I loved the dancy style of this workout and the lower intensity is just what I'm looking for on some days. The time flew by! Another keeper!!
Old 12-21-19, 03:20 PM  
ChelePA

Sharing from another site. Very detailed reviews.

PHA Step - https://www.fitnessmystyle.com/post/step-boss-pha-step
STEP Sync - https://www.fitnessmystyle.com/post/step-boss-step-sync
IMAX 4 - https://www.fitnessmystyle.com/post/step-boss-imax-4
Old 12-21-19, 10:00 PM  
MJ525

How much does she use the sliders in PHA3? I workout on a 6' x 8' exercise mat, so paper plates and the gliders don't slide. I can sub a couple of exercises but if it's slider heavy I may pass.
MJ525 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe step boss, step boss, step boss reviews