Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-15, 07:31 AM  
flamingoo

Back to the basics??

With all the new types of workouts now a days, do any of you go back to the place you started and wonder why you ever left to try the next best thing? Yoga,pilates, walking, whatever it may be? Just curious. Sometimes I get so caught up in the latest and greatest I wonder what would happen if I just go back to the place I started( which was pilates and walking) Happy Sunday!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 08:23 AM  
Sara1000

For me that would mean going back to FIRM Volume 1 - in other words, an hour long workout that includes total body strength and a little cardio. That just isn't the way I like to work out any more.

I've found I do best with short, focused strength segments combined with walking, step or HiiT. I try to rotate through all the muscle groups every week. I pick and choose segments from various Cathe workouts for most of what I do.

I'm older and a little heavier but still going strong and working out 6 days a week. Believe me, I would NOT be doing FIRM type workouts 6 days a week. I guess I like being in control of what I do rather than someone else's choices from beginning to end.

Great question, thanks for coming up with this!
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 08:54 AM  
Demeris

I love this idea. In almost every area of my life, when I find myself confused, returning to the basics resolves the confusion.

If I'm struggling with a particularly dense text, going back to 'what is the subject of the sentence?' 'what is the main verb?' always results in deeper comprehension.

If I find myself feeling sluggish, maybe even adding a bit of pudge, I take inventory of my eating, then go back to what I know are the basic nutritional components of nourishing my body, ignoring any culinary embellishments I've enjoyed until I determine how I've undermined my health.

The same goes for exercise. If I find myself unhappy with my workouts, or bored with recent choices, I go back to what are the basics. With T-Tapp, that would be basic workout or total workout. With Barre, that would be Callanetics (for me--I know others would identify their basic barre differently).

I also like to think that any Classical Stretch/Essentrics is already a basic. And walking is walking.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 09:23 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am 51 now, and I do exercise differently now, than I did years ago. I guess it is getting back to basics, but like Sara, I used to do the Firm more than any other workout, and I just don't find myself reaching for those much anymore. I prefer shorter workouts. Right now, I am doing a "paper" kettlebell workout that I found on Women's Health & Fitness website. It is short, 20 min long, and it is cardio & strength in one, which I love! I am also doing cardio, mostly steady state, floor cardio, and some Leslie. I am also doing pilates, or barre, on my kettlebell days, and a couple of short yoga workouts per week.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 02:05 PM  
Scorpio6

superfit41
Could you please provide the link for that workout?
Thanks!

Carol
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 02:48 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

If I went back to basics, that would mean a return to Cindy Crawford and Claudia Schiffer workouts. I still have them in my collection, but I rarely reach for them. Basically, my preferences have changed more toward barre (and not the athletic barre workouts that are available). I will do a Cindy workout every now and then for nostalgia...I did one last year.

One thing that hasn't changed for me is that I always return to evening walks outdoors at least for a portion of each year.
Old 03-29-15, 03:55 PM  
marya

I started with hatha yoga decades ago, but I find myself unable to "go home again". I'm neither the person nor the exerciser I was. I've tried many times without success to take up hatha and simply cannot get back into it.

For some years my fitness basics have been Leslie's Walk Strong, Gurmukh's Kundalini Yoga, and Tapp Core--those are the three workouts I reach for now whenever I need to "ground and center" and recharge.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 07:08 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Here you go: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/...-pdf-downloads
If you scroll down you will see the kettlebell workout, under more downloads.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 08:00 PM  
slinks

Going back to basics means a lot of Joni Oing for me .. but l do pick up a Leslie, like Marya, to regroup and recharge, when l've done too much higher impact stuff ..
slinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 08:38 PM  
andtckrtoo

For me it would mean rediscovering my love of cycling. I trained for one too many century ride and got burned out, but I did love the shorter rides. Maybe I should.