Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-15, 03:21 PM  
calendria

pilates and back pain

I tried a fitness blender workout for the legs, and it really hurt my lower back.

am I doing something wrong? any movement where my legs were up while i'm on my back killed my back.

did I do something wrong? or should I just avoid pilates?
calendria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 04:07 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I don't think this is an easy question to answer. If you aren't experienced in Pilates, then yes, it IS very possible that your form was incorrect. I would certainly avoid any moves that are causing you pain! That doesn't necessarily mean avoiding Pilates altogether--you could try a routine that is designed for beginners and is specifically focused on teaching the moves/good form. For many people, Pilates is actually helpful with back pain, but no workout is going to be beneficial if you experience strain while doing it.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 04:35 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

You can easily get back pain from lower ab and leg work if you abs aren't strong enough yet. You need modify to easier moves and gradually work up to harder ones, and really practice imprinting your spine on the ground when lying on your back and moving your legs.
Old 03-28-15, 05:06 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I don't think this is an easy question to answer. If you aren't experienced in Pilates, then yes, it IS very possible that your form was incorrect. I would certainly avoid any moves that are causing you pain! That doesn't necessarily mean avoiding Pilates altogether--you could try a routine that is designed for beginners and is specifically focused on teaching the moves/good form. For many people, Pilates is actually helpful with back pain, but no workout is going to be beneficial if you experience strain while doing it.
What Beth said! Pilates done well is fantastic for back pain (there's even a new study out that shows it - http://life.gaiam.com/article/study-...ther-therapies ) but you have to know what you're doing. Having no idea what exercises you were doing, if your legs were up in the air, then I can easily think of half a dozen different things that cause back pain if you aren't doing the exercise correctly.

Being fit doesn't mean you're Pilates fit. You always need to start off with learning basic technique to prevent injury and pain.

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 06:13 PM  
calendria

thank you. any recommendations for a super beginner pilates dvd?

I also suffer from chronic back pain
Old 03-28-15, 07:23 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Mari Winsor's Beginner's Pilates or Pilates for Beginners has excellent form tips.

I've had back pain for many years with some pretty serious stuff going on. I can't prove it but if I didn't do Pilates I'm sure I'd be bedridden by now. Work within your limits. The only person to compare yourself to is you.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 07:23 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
thank you. any recommendations for a super beginner pilates dvd?

I also suffer from chronic back pain
The last line instantly made me want to recommend you start with in-person classes, either privates or group.

Pilates is fantastic for back pain, but you really need to work with someone who can see what your body needs. I did Pilates DVDs for years (beginner and intermediate) and never got any of it actually to work until I had in-person lessons.

---

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Old 03-28-15, 11:44 PM  
calendria

thank you. I will look and see if theres any in person classes I can take. or for someone to help me make adaptations. any position where my legs are up and my back is flat kills my lower back

but barre doesn't bother it one bit

go figure
Old 03-29-15, 12:22 AM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by calendria View Post
thank you. I will look and see if theres any in person classes I can take. or for someone to help me make adaptations. any position where my legs are up and my back is flat kills my lower back

but barre doesn't bother it one bit

go figure
Are you maintaining a natural curve in your lower back (lumbar spine)?? "Back is flat" makes me think you aren't - keeping the neutral spine can make a big difference.

---

Old 03-29-15, 09:35 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

If you can get your hands on Stott Pilates "Secret to Flat Abs" it is an excellent tutorial on the basics of how to use the transverse abdominus, how to perform the very basics of breathing, pelvic contraction, positioning the spine, etc. It is BORING and dry and clinical, but it won't hurt you. Check at your library, they may have it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back pain, pilates