Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-15, 08:31 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I just re-read Rachel Hartman's Seraphina (to prepare for the sequel when it was released). Now I've got that (Shadow Scale) from the library and am working through it.
Finished Shadow Scale.

Now reading "Dad is Fat" (Jim Gaffigan).
Needed some light reading...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 07:08 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Which one do you like best? I quite like Spindle's End.
(Huge McKinley fan here....)

Have you read any of Jessica Day George's fairy tale retellings? They're pretty cute, perhaps more similar to Gail Carson Levine in style, though...
Thanks for the author rec, didn't know about Jessica Day George at all. Off to see if our library has any. (and they do! Whee!)

McKinley-wise, I'm not sure which is my favorite stylistically they all seem quite different, which I guess is what I like best. They're not identical in style, tone or subject matter, which means there's variety enough so things don't get repetitive. I really did enjoy Beauty, though. Haven't read the others in a while, so I don't remember how her versions end. The whimsicality of Spindle's End's tone is maybe getting on my nerves just a bit. I'll see how I feel when I pick it up again later today.
Old 03-28-15, 10:24 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
LOL! Hopefully your book club doesn't give quizzes
I kind of wish there were quizzes! I am in two book clubs on different extremes. One takes the discussions very seriously and this one is mostly an excuse to socialize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Both of the "train" books sound interesting so I wishlisted both of them!

Donna
Donna, I just finished it. It was fine, just kind of slow through the middle. I would recommend The Girl on the Train over this one.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 10:26 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
I'm listening to "The Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig (great writing but almost seems condescending, perhaps just a fault of the audio version?)
I've been waiting to hear your thoughts on this one! I've had it on my TBR shelf for awhile now.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Old 03-28-15, 03:03 PM  
lisarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewels5 View Post
I've been waiting to hear your thoughts on this one! I've had it on my TBR shelf for awhile now.
It's taking me forever to get through. I started with the print version but then found it at the library used book sale and thought it might be easier to listen to on my 40+ minute ride to and from work. Sadly, I kinda want it to be over. I can see that Ivan is a very gifted writer, tho.

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-15, 03:12 PM  
lisarah

double post

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-15, 09:59 PM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
It's taking me forever to get through. I started with the print version but then found it at the library used book sale and thought it might be easier to listen to on my 40+ minute ride to and from work. Sadly, I kinda want it to be over. I can see that Ivan is a very gifted writer, tho.
That happens with some books. I have not read any of his but was interested in that one. I am fairly new to listening to audiobooks and find that I get impatient just listening to a book and want to read them!

Old 03-30-15, 07:29 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't remember who first recommended Forever, Interrupted, but thank you. What a good book! I pretty much inhaled it.

I continue reading To See the Moon Again and Unwritten. I'm enjoying both of these.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-15, 08:07 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I don't remember who first recommended Forever, Interrupted, but thank you. What a good book! I pretty much inhaled it.

I continue reading To See the Moon Again and Unwritten. I'm enjoying both of these.
Laura-that was me! She has a new book coming out this summer. My library is ordering it for me. I sent you her other book, right?
I mail so many packages that I can't remember what I've mailed.....

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-15, 12:51 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Sherry - I wondered if that was you, but I just couldn't remember. I already had her first book on my Kindle and you sent me the second book. I'm looking forward to it!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, reading, spring 2015