Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-13, 08:53 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

I ordered these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I can't wait to try them. I hope they're as good as they sound -- I can return them if they don't work for me, but I really need some good shoes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Annie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-13, 07:28 AM  
cyana

Please let us know how they work out. I have some Rykas that are so old they probably sailed over on the Mayflower. Can't bring myself to part with them until I find a decent replacement and so far I've struck out with my attempts.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you as I'm a real Princess and the Pea when it comes to finding shoes that fit my feet properly!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-13, 12:07 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie S. View Post
I ordered these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I can't wait to try them. I hope they're as good as they sound -- I can return them if they don't work for me, but I really need some good shoes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I ordered these and should be getting them Friday. I hope they work for me, too.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-13, 09:36 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Mine came today and I was really looking forward to trying them, but I'm just too pooped to work out this evening. It's been a LONG day! So, Susan, I guess that means we can both try them out tomorrow.
Old 12-06-13, 09:02 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Thumbs up

I tried out my Ryka Influence shoes just now, doing the finished product (all combos put together in one segment) on Cathe's Party Rockin' Step 2. I like the fit and I really like them. Thumbs up!

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

Old 12-06-13, 09:52 PM  
Juice

I hope someone from Avia, Adidas and all the other shoe companies reads this post! I completely agree with the comments about the decline in Avia shoe quality. Everything seems to be minimalistic now, which doesn't work for me when I am doing high-impact and plyometric work. I really used to love Avias...sigh. Adidas seems to have gone this same route and now that they have discontinued the instructor discount program, I won't be buying any more of their products either.

I am now wearing mainly Asics and plan to check out New Balance and Ryka, since they continue to offer instructor discounts (which Nike also discontinued).

Thanks for this post. I was feeling like I was the only one out there with this concern.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-13, 10:06 PM  
Juice

I hope someone from Avia, Adidas and all the other shoe companies pays attention to this thread!

I too have been disappointed by the flimsiness of the recent Avia (and Adidas) offerings. It seems everything is minimalist now, but minimalist does not do the job for me when I am doing high impact and plyometric work. It is sad because Avia used to be my favorite shoe and IMHO once set the standard for high-quality fitness shoes.

I have been wearing Asics lately and will try New Balance and Ryka again, since they continue to offer instructor discounts, which were eliminated by Nike and now Adidas. No more Avia or Adidas. Might as well support the companies that support me

Thanks for this post. I was feeling like the only one who felt this way.
Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-13, 10:33 AM  
cyana

Two questions about sizing:

(1) Skechers - how do the sizes run as compared to your street shoes and/or other athletic shoes? Any particular idiosyncrasies such as - do they work for narrow heels (heel slippage is a biggie for me), high arches, etc? Are you using these for your work-outs versus more of a casual shoe?

(2) Same question for current Ryka styles.

SusanH - Glad to hear you liked your new Rykas!

Juice - I'm not an instructor, but find myself disappointed in what I perceive as more of a "one size fits all" approach to fitness shoes these days. I used to have a dedicated pair of walkers, runners, cross trainers, aerobic/studio shoes....one for each activity. I'm okay with a "minimalist leaning" shoe for walking, but agree it isn't what I want for more aggressive work-outs.

Thanks!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-13, 11:20 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Regarding the Ryka Influence, I had read some reviews on Amazon that some had to go up a size. I didn't find that to be the case for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
Two questions about sizing:

(2) Same question for current Ryka styles.

SusanH - Glad to hear you liked your new Rykas!

Juice - I'm not an instructor, but find myself disappointed in what I perceive as more of a "one size fits all" approach to fitness shoes these days. I used to have a dedicated pair of walkers, runners, cross trainers, aerobic/studio shoes....one for each activity. I'm okay with a "minimalist leaning" shoe for walking, but agree it isn't what I want for more aggressive work-outs.

Thanks!

Old 12-07-13, 09:24 PM  
Annie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan H View Post
I tried out my Ryka Influence shoes just now, doing the finished product (all combos put together in one segment) on Cathe's Party Rockin' Step 2. I like the fit and I really like them. Thumbs up!
I love mine, too! I could tell the difference even in the warmup. I could kick myself for not switching sooner. These are a HUGE improvement!

Tags
avia, shoes, substitutes