Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-13, 03:20 PM  
rhbrand

Good Spinning dvds?

My spin bike came today.
I got a Johnny G bike that came with several dvds. But I'm sure I'm gonna want others, so, what's out there. I know about Cathe's, and sure I'll end up getting those here pretty soon. What else is out there, esp for a beginner.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-05-13, 03:12 AM  
Getfit

Which one did you get? I have been eyeing one at Costco. The model is an ascent but it must be exclusive to Costo because I can find it on any spin bike website. I currently have both of Cathe's spin dvds.
Old 01-05-13, 07:29 AM  
kimmie2191
VF Supporter

Spinervals with Coach Troy. I only get the ones that go for an hour but get a great workout.
kimmie2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 07:31 AM  
Bo-bina

I really enjoy most of the Spinervals workouts. My favorites are Vol. 1.0 No Limits and Vol. 2.0 4th Quarter Grind. The run time on each of them is 55 minutes and feature football star Ray Lewis. It has a music off feature, which I use on these and run my own playlist. I've found, with all the spin workouts I have, the only two I enjoy the music on is the Cathe spins. Her newest spin, Ride!, is hands down my favorite (and toughest).
Bo-bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-13, 09:35 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Another vote for Spinervals. Start with Enter the Red Zone with Team Video Fitness.
Old 01-06-13, 01:25 PM  
Lilly Bea

I really enjoy Schwinn Cycling Workout with Jay Blahnik. It is one of my favorite spinning workouts. Also the website Motion Traxx offers great guided spinning workouts. There are not DVDs, but they you can download them to iTunes and sync with your iPod. Here is the website: http://motiontraxx.com/mix/exercise/cycling/
Lilly Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 01:44 PM  
rhbrand

I ordered a bike from the Mad Dog site. Got a package deal that had a bike and several dvds.

Looks like I need to look at Spinervals.
Old 01-06-13, 05:28 PM  
KarenP
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I ordered a bike from the Mad Dog site. Got a package deal that had a bike and several dvds.

Looks like I need to look at Spinervals.
YAY, Rhonda, I hope you thoroughly enjoy your spin bike.

I'm in the minority re spinervals. Maybe it's because I regular take spin classes with a couple of instructors who are also tri/cycling coaches? My beef with them are:

1) The music sucks, at least on the ones I've heard. And there's no attempt to match base cycling cadence with the music, something that makes spinning more enjoyable.

2) Coach Troy tends to teach to the individuals in the class. The videos are are like a document of a class. He often seems to be unaware of the video exerciser. So a lot of the class, for example, consists of him looking at individual's HR and calling those out. Who cares?

3) Some of the spinervals seem to have sections where you jump off the bike and do wickedly fast squats. Not sure what that's about, but it's tough to do with road shoes. Of course you can skip these sections, but when I would try to workout with the dvd, I would lose focus in these sections.

Since I mostly spin in classes or to my own music, I don't have any DVDs to recommend. I do occasionally use an mp3 program that one of my spin instructors put out.

Karen

QUIT SLOUCHING!!!
KarenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 06:32 PM  
Bo-bina

Regarding the Spinervals featuring Ray Lewis, they have a mic. on him and he is so motivational. Some of my favorite Ray-isms are "C'mon baby, I love what I'm seeing", "Momma said it ain't ever gonna be easy", "Coach, you're rough, good God almighty, "We ain't got no time for breaks" and my personal favorite "You'll pass out before you die". He like a positive cheerleader through the whole workout. The entire group of cyclists look like they just came out of the shower, there is so much sweat.
Bo-bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-13, 07:22 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I am not a Spinervals fan either. My favorite spinning DVDs are the ones by Johnny G's company, with my fave being Spin & Slim---it's perfect for a beginner, and you can grow with it over time.

I have the Johnny G spin bike, too, and it's great.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
group rx, music off option, power music, power music group rx, spinning, spinning.com, virtual cycling