Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-14, 07:24 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Walking is the superfood of fitness, experts say

Katy Bowman and Leslie Sansone are quoted in this short article.

Walking is the superfood of fitness, experts say

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 07:26 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I like the suggestion of 3 5-minute walks in a sedentary period. That is something that I can aim for.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 07:28 AM  
cherimac

Jessica Smith talks about walking too.

I am glad I have a dog who makes me take several 5-10 minute walks throughout my day.
Old 09-30-14, 07:34 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

When I began using an activity monitor it was a real eye opener as to how sedentary I was. I considered myself active - but it was cancelled out by nine hours of sitting at my desk and another hour sitting in my car, then sitting and reading or watching TV after dinner. I am encouraged by the monitor to get up and move around periodically throughout the day so that I don't have a flat line when it gets plugged in the next morning.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 08:37 AM  
TinierTina

Walking is the Only Exercise I Really Like

And the only one, because of foot problems, that does not serve me that well... Cannot do it fast enough to matter for cardio needs ...

Which I need to manage diabetes!

This is why I overwhelmingly choose dance-exercise workouts that remind me of walking and/or strain my knees too much.

Let that be a hint to all the fitness instructors out there. THAT'S your market.
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 12:58 PM  
PrairieGem

My rotation for about six months last year was primarily walking, around 50-70 minutes six or seven days a week. I LOVED IT! But what really surprised me was how spectacular my next medical checkup was. You hear all the time about the benefits of walking, but it's typically promoted for beginners--for sedentary or overweight people who haven't worked out in years, or maybe ever. I had never seen an article or study about the benefits of walking in ALREADY FIT people who've been working out their whole lives. I was amazed by the changes I saw--my cholesterol/triglycerides went down, my blood pressure was almost too low (it's always good anyway), and my HR was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
I like the suggestion of 3 5-minute walks in a sedentary period. That is something that I can aim for.
...And for somebody like me, an author and seamstress who works at home, it's SUPER EASY to actually manage. Getting up to let a dog in and out, fetch the mail, and toss in a load of laundry takes me a good 7-10 minutes of on-my-feet time between hours of writing or sewing. (Although yesterday's sewing was all done standing at the dress form or the ironing board! LOL)
Old 09-30-14, 01:17 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post
Amen, Laura! I make it a point to get up and walk-dance to my favorite music for 5-10 minutes every hour, if I'm engaged in something indoors and sedentary. It has become a feel-good necessity.

Did anyone notice the comment that 10,000 steps might actually be an unreasonable requirement, and we should more realistically aim for about 7000?

Must read the Katy Bowman book this article cites!

Susan, thanks for the link.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 04:27 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
Amen, Laura! I make it a point to get up and walk-dance to my favorite music for 5-10 minutes every hour, if I'm engaged in something indoors and sedentary. It has become a feel-good necessity.

Did anyone notice the comment that 10,000 steps might actually be an unreasonable requirement, and we should more realistically aim for about 7000?

Must read the Katy Bowman book this article cites!

Susan, thanks for the link.
So many walking threads in the last couple of days! I am one who pretty regularly gets in 10,000 steps just in the normal course of my day. I have noticed that if I actually go outside and "go for a walk", I exert a lot more energy and feel it in a different way the next day. Makes sense, I guess, and not to discount all the movement I get in the normal course of my day, I just found it interesting. I feel like I need to "go for a walk" more often.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 05:06 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Oh I like seeing this! I do a lot of walking.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 05:45 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

A couple of years ago, I woke up about 4 AM and freaked out because my left arm was sort of numb. Of course, then I started imagining I was short of breath and that my chest hurt. After 12 hours in the hospital having tests, I was told that my heart was in great shape and that, in fact, it was clear that I was an avid exerciser - particularly because of my stress echo test on the treadmill. I guess the 12 hours was worth that!

That was in early October after all I had done all year was Leslie 3-5 times a week.
Joni O is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking