Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-14, 08:09 AM  
curlyq

Deepen Your Practice

I'm going to be starting this set tomorrow, is there a rotation guide? And besides the short & sweets, what are the times of the videos? I didn't see any info included in the box.

Thanks in advance!
curlyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 01:59 PM  
MamaBecca

When asked about a rotation for DYP, Vytas' words were:
For many of my beginner students, I recommend a strict weekly program to cleanse and hone. But for you, the advanced students, this is completely unnecessary. In that we are all different, each of our practices should be different. Sure, I could lie to you and tell you that there is one specific regiment that does the trick, but it would only lead you astray. We are all dealing with different bodies and different schedules. What works for one person will almost certainly be less than optimal for the next when it comes to a yoga practice. It is time for you to begin to guide your own body. That does not mean that if you are feeling lazy, you should skip a challenging practice or that if you don’t like inversions that you should avoid them. We do not just practice the things we are good at. We challenge ourselves to have a well rounded practice. If you are not ready to turn inward and begin to trust your own guidance, then this set is not for you. Let me be clear. We are going deeper. Limiting ourselves with an inaccurate and impersonal yoga schedule will only hold us back.

I struggle with doing my own programming, but that's why there is no rotation for this set. As to class length, most are slightly over an hour (1 hr to about 1hr 10 min), Inversions is short at 53 min. Meditation is 30 minutes.

CLX, TF, Skogg, RKS grad
STS Grad 2012
Les Mills Pump Grad 2013
Les Mills Combat Grad 2013
BeSLAM Grad 2013
Current rotation: Molly Galbraith GGS, Walking
MamaBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 02:55 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Ditto what Becky said!
I just started from the front of the set and worked my way through them. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC YOGA!!!!!!!!

I had heard these were more advanced, but not to the point of being over my head (I'm about Intermediate). Vytas instructs and cues wonderfully and has the best voice!

Here are the times I recorded in my workout log.
Backbends 58 minutes
Core 59 minutes
Gentle Balanced Flow 61 minutes
Hips 60 minutes
Intermediate Balanced Flow 63 minutes
Intermediate Balanced Flow Express 22 minutes
Inversions 53 minutes
Short & Sweet 20 minutes
Strong Balance Flow 67 minutes
Twists 68 minutes

Have fun with this!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 06:02 PM  
Mickey12

Curlyq,

I hope you love this set as much as I do. Please post your thoughts as you do the practices. My favorite instructor is Travis, but Vytas is a very, very close second. His instruction is the absolute best.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 08:18 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I had heard these were more advanced, but not to the point of being over my head (I'm about Intermediate). Vytas instructs and cues wonderfully and has the best voice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
My favorite instructor is Travis, but Vytas is a very, very close second. His instruction is the absolute best.

Kim
For whatever reason I was intrigued by this set (maybe because DH has started watching Survivor and I go do yoga during that time ). I traded for UY and have been enjoying that all summer, but a VFer is always looking for more! I was looking at YW365 and DYP but was more drawn to DYP. It's hard to find many reviews on this set, but it's good to know this is doable for an intermediate (I'm no expert, but I'm not a beginner).
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 08:48 PM  
Tugger31

I have UY with Travis. How does DYP differ?
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 01:26 PM  
DrH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I have UY with Travis. How does DYP differ?
Id like to know how these compare too? Is DYP harder?
DrH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 01:50 PM  
Mickey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrH View Post
Id like to know how these compare too? Is DYP harder?
A while back MamaBecca convinced me that DYP is not significantly harder than UY. I took the plunge and bought it and I totally agree with her prior posts about DYP. (she can express things much more eloquently than I can)

It's harder, yes, because Vytas takes you into very advanced poses, but they are not impossible because he shows you how to get there in stages. I'll never be able to do a headstand, but while everyone on the DVD is doing a headstand, I'm doing the beginning steps. You don't sit there staring at the screen (with few exceptions) while they do crazy advanced stuff and you do nothing.

He's very encouraging, his instruction is so, so clear and he allows you to tweak postures with how he explains things. He knows exactly when and how to tell you to adjust yourself. He's awesome!

I highly recommend the set. I posted a lot a while back about each practice. I don't know how to pull up old threads.

I also bought Yoga Warrior 360. I didn't think I would click with Rudy and I really don't, but I love yoga and Udaya puts out really great productions, so I got that one too. I find Vytas more like Travis in his way of explaining things. With Rudy I find myself sometimes having to check the screen to see what posture the students are in. With Travis and Vytas that never happens.

If you love UY, I can't recommend Deepen Your Practice enough.

Kim
Mickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 02:32 PM  
violingal3

Quote:

Kim
Yes, your posts and MamaBecca's posts on old threads were very helpful and convinced me to get it! Thank you!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 04:38 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
A while back MamaBecca convinced me that DYP is not significantly harder than UY. I took the plunge and bought it and I totally agree with her prior posts about DYP. (she can express things much more eloquently than I can)

It's harder, yes, because Vytas takes you into very advanced poses, but they are not impossible because he shows you how to get there in stages. I'll never be able to do a headstand, but while everyone on the DVD is doing a headstand, I'm doing the beginning steps. You don't sit there staring at the screen (with few exceptions) while they do crazy advanced stuff and you do nothing.

He's very encouraging, his instruction is so, so clear and he allows you to tweak postures with how he explains things. He knows exactly when and how to tell you to adjust yourself. He's awesome!

I highly recommend the set. I posted a lot a while back about each practice. I don't know how to pull up old threads.

I also bought Yoga Warrior 360. I didn't think I would click with Rudy and I really don't, but I love yoga and Udaya puts out really great productions, so I got that one too. I find Vytas more like Travis in his way of explaining things. With Rudy I find myself sometimes having to check the screen to see what posture the students are in. With Travis and Vytas that never happens.

Kim
Kim has nailed it right on the head comparing DYP with UY!!!! Vytas is fantastic at getting you through the different stages of the poses.

I must say I have no issues with Rudy's instruction, but he also has a whole different way of presenting things.

All in all - Udaya practices are A1, top notch and sooooooooooo good! Whether it's Rudy, Travis, or Vytas.

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote