Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-14, 04:52 AM  
sherry7899

please tell me about Katy Bowman

I have seen her name mentioned on VF a few times. I am interested in her exercises for back/hip and shoulder/neck issues.

Has anyone tried her "Aligned and Well" dvds? Have you found them helpful?

I am also wondering if her books are easy to understand and follow.

Thank you!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 02:28 PM  
Fidget Queen

He changed my life! When I'm not on my phone that eats my messages I'll write more
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-14, 05:19 PM  
mercedes

I personally think she is great. Go to her website and check out the $5 alignment snacks... Sorry, can't post a link because she just overhauled her website and the old links do not work anymore maybe someone will chime in with the new link.

Invest in one and judge for yourself. I think they are a better bargain than the dvds - though I do like those too.

Actually, I believe if you click on the image of her (video link), that snack is free - shoulders and back
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 12:36 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have her Alignment Matters book which is a compilation of many of her blog posts. It is excellent. I also have her foot book but can't find it at the moment.
Her books are very readable and accessible.
I was thinking of getting her DVD/video but never got around to it.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 07:37 PM  
Fidget Queen

Sorry about my stupid post. Has anyone else found that their phones were screwed up by the newest update?

Anyway, she changed my life, my mom's and my SO's, as well. We do her Alignment Snacks almost every day, though I do think understanding them is augmented by reading her stuff.

She does have a Shoulder snack that she streams on the page. It was enough to hook to us. They are worth every penny. More than the Aligned and Well DVDs, I think. I still have and do the DVDs, though the exercises are all found on her blog, and many even in her newest book.

I'd definitely check out her blog first and see if what she says resonates with you. Having her blog posts in book form (Alignment Matters) was much more helpful than I thought, as I ended up reading many things I'd never seen before. I thought I'd read them all! They are also organized by subject, which is nice. I actually like that book more than her newest one, though I bought and read that, too.

If it weren't for finding and really diving into her stuff, I wouldn't be doing much right now. I spent years going form injury to injury and constantly being in horrific pain. I still manage to hurt myself here and there, but it's nothing. She changed the way we walk completely.

I focus on Katy's stuff, Jill Miller's massage with the balls and some of Kelly Starrett's stuff.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 04:38 AM  
Negin

I'm really very tempted to order some of her DVDs. As with all things new, it becomes an obsession with me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes View Post
Go to her website and check out the $5 alignment snacks
I've gone to her site several times and can't seem to find these. Can anyone help with a link?

ETA: Just found it!
Old 10-13-14, 10:55 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I'm really very tempted to order some of her DVDs. As with all things new, it becomes an obsession with me .

I've gone to her site several times and can't seem to find these. Can anyone help with a link?

ETA: Just found it!
Those snacks sound fantastic! I'm in the process of rehabbing my shoulder (I'm in my 4th week of working with a physical therapist) and I also have lower back/hip pain. I think many of these downloads could be just what I need to keep up with the p.t. once I'm finished working with the therapist. I know that staying pain-free will be a life-long pursuit, so I need to arm myself with knowledge and exercises to keep my shoulders and back happy.

Thank you!

Donna
Old 10-13-14, 11:14 AM  
mercedes

She also has some classes to stream (not to download). I have been eyeing one called SUPER SUPPLE SHOULDERS.... Has anyone tried it? It is $15 and it is one hour.
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-14, 03:56 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Those snacks sound fantastic!
I downloaded nine of them. I tried two of them this morning (pelvic floor & back) - was not at all impressed. I felt frustrated that I wasted 40 minutes of my time . I really do hope that the rest of them are better.
Old 10-16-14, 08:06 AM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
I downloaded nine of them. I tried two of them this morning (pelvic floor & back) - was not at all impressed. I felt frustrated that I wasted 40 minutes of my time . I really do hope that the rest of them are better.
What didn't you like?

Keep in mind that Katy is out of the exercise paradigm. She doesn't really believe in traditional exercise. She walks a lot, stretches, hangs from trees, etc. She seems to practice what she preaches.

But I will agree that it's not the most exciting stuff in the world. It seems more like a program of rehab exercises.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment snacks, katy bowman