Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-13, 08:46 AM  
jerebo

Can we talk suspension trainers?

I have a g-fit gravity trainer (I think you can see one on Amazon). One of the big problems with it is that it's not very adjustable. I work out in my basement, which has only 7 -foot ceilings, and I can't do half of the exercises because the trainer hangs too low.
  1. Which trainers are most adjustable? I'm hoping you don't say TRX, since that's so much more expensive than anything else.
  2. What can you tell me about the Jungle Gym XT or the Woss Trainers in a Bag? Do either of them adjust enough to allow for workouts with low ceilings?

TIA!
Old 09-27-13, 09:01 AM  
neatski

Very interested in hearing these replies, as my brother is shopping for one. I have a TRX and absolutely love the thing, but it was so pricey. I've heard good things about the Rip 60.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:10 AM  
beth22

I have the "Jungle Gym." I love it--it hangs over my door and I just put it up and take it down when I want to use it. The straps are separated (unlike the TRX where both straps come together at the top.) You can hook both straps together to make it like the TRX but I keep mine apart. I use mine all the time. The JG was also much more affordable for--the TRX was out of my budget.

This thread http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ension+trainer helped me out a lot when I was trying to decide which suspension trainer to buy.
beth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:28 AM  
mspina

I have the Jungle Gym as well and love it. It is VERY adjustable - I have mine looped over my pull up bar, which is well under 7' high. Works perfectly. Ideally I'd like to mount it in the center of the ceiling in my workout room, but it works perfectly fine in the doorway (I'd just have more room to maneuver with it in the center of the room....).

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:36 AM  
mrsyancy

I have the rip 60 and it is adjustable. You can suspend it from the ceiling, from a door or like mspina said from a pull up bar and use it just fine. It's very sturdy
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:36 AM  
sciencelady

I have the TRX and yes, it is very adjustable (even though you don't want to hear about it ). I think when I use it at the top of a doorway, that's about 7 feet - there's a few things that can't be done to the highest inclines, etc. but that's more because of the wall with the door in it impeding full range of movement, rather than the height of the attachment. I think with a ceiling attachment towards the center of a room (or adequate clearance around the attachment), you should be fine with most suspension trainers.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:51 AM  
starbelly

I have a Jungle Gym XT and I use it in a room with a peaked ceiling (good thing I am relatively short- 5'6"). I have it hanging from the beam at the center of the room and it works great. The straps are separated but can be joined with a piece that has been mislaid so I cannot attest to how well it works. The bits that fasten it to the wall or ceiling are much better than the meathook-looking thing from other companies (http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-USA-J...+xt+wall+mount). The grips are comfortable and are easy to use with hands or feet.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 11:03 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Does anyone have the WOSS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WOSS-ROPE-Su...item25827de17e

I see that Walmart has Rip 60 in stock. I saw one marked down to $50.00. IIRC the Target clearance was quite a bit less expensive then that but I never could find one at my Target.

ETA: Chris Freytag recently posted about a new Spri Trainer but it is REALLY pricey. More then she had suggested but she also mentioned a less expensive option of theirs;

http://www.spriproducts.com/Item.asp...temGroupID=625
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 11:22 AM  
bee1forfitness

I have a TRX and love, love it, it's very durable and adjustable, yes it's pricey, but I got a decent price at Christmas (for a TRX) with $30 off free shipping, door mount included. They usually have these sale close to the holidays

Inside I anchor it off a pull-up bar. I also use it outside a lot to. When I bought my TRX there wasn't many other options, but not there's lot out there. I've heard good things about the Jungle Gym, but I only know about the TRX.

My advice to you would be make sure whatever suspension trainer you purchase that the quality is excellent and the company has good CS. Suspension are now like the Kettlebells use to be and everyone wants to get on the bandwagon for quick money but some haven't been using quality materials I've heard storys about suspension trainer breaking while people are working out on them
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 11:31 AM  
Sophie

thanks for this discussion - I'm thinking of buying one too.

I have an additional question - if you wanted to suspend it from a ceiling rather than a doorway, how would you go about that safely? Is there a kit that comes with any of the systems that allows you to do that?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jungle gym, jungle gym xt, trx