Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-12, 09:28 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allonfla View Post
Do you see any difference? I'm not looking for fast results but more of a challenge.
Using the Jungle Gym (or TRX) is a great and very different challenge. I use it primarily for core work (put my feet in for plank work) and it's KILLER, but you can also use it for arms (great for reverse push-ups as a way to work up to pull-ups) and legs - definitely a total body workout. There are downloadable workouts available that are AWESOME, and I Lauren Brooks has a combo TRX/Kettlebell workout that I like a lot.

It's very easy to install - I have mine looped over my pull-up bar, and that works perfectly, but I've also used it attached to a door (door attachment thing) and that works. Ideally, I'd like to buy the ceiling mount and mount it in the middle of my workout room, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 09:04 PM  
Allonfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post
Using the Jungle Gym (or TRX) is a great and very different challenge. I use it primarily for core work (put my feet in for plank work) and it's KILLER, but you can also use it for arms (great for reverse push-ups as a way to work up to pull-ups) and legs - definitely a total body workout. There are downloadable workouts available that are AWESOME, and I Lauren Brooks has a combo TRX/Kettlebell workout that I like a lot.

It's very easy to install - I have mine looped over my pull-up bar, and that works perfectly, but I've also used it attached to a door (door attachment thing) and that works. Ideally, I'd like to buy the ceiling mount and mount it in the middle of my workout room, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.
Thanks for your reply. I will def add to my list.
Allonfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 09:36 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina View Post

Are the downloadable workouts real-time workouts? With less chatter than in the DVD workouts, perhaps?

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 10:44 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

You can also look for the TRX tags. There was a point when I tagged all the TRX threads (since you can't search for TRX) even if some of them included conversations of the Jungle Gym. I really like my JG. I think I paid about $40 years ago. Make sure to get the one that has foot straps so you can do planks and other suspended ab work. That's what I like the most about JG. You can do everything that is shown in the TRX website with your JG. I don't think it's as well made (but I bought the cheapest version) but it serves its function.
Old 06-22-12, 11:02 AM  
mspina

Helen, I agree with all of that. The TRX looks truly fantastic and I've seen it in person at various events. Even though the Jungle Gym isn't AS nice, I feel 100% confident in it's function - that thing isn't going anywhere and can EASILY support everything I do with it. It's solid. Perhaps it couldn't take 100's of users every day abusing it in a gym, but it's totally perfect for me at home.

I also have the foot straps (bought them later as an add on) and I think I use them most often.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jungle gym, jungle gym xt, suspension trainer