Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-12, 11:12 AM  
Arizonamom

Suspension Trainers and Workout DVDs

I am getting into suspension trainers. I was wondering what has been your experience with them? I have a pulley one and just ordered a two strap one. There are a lot of choices out there. I am addicted to workout DVDs also but want to challenge myself to workout exclusively with the suspension trainers as my main workout for 30 days. I know TRX and The Human Trainer has DVDs. I am getting some with my suspension system I just ordered but do not know how cheesy they will be. I like to learn from the internet but prefer to workout to DVDs. Any thoughts? Sorry about my rambling, that's the way I am.
Arizonamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 12:16 PM  
zippity

Rip 60 I believe is about suspension training...http://www.amazon.com/Rip-Fitness-DV...9930723&sr=8-1

I have the GoFit Gravity Bar and really like it; don't use it nearly as much as I'd like to because I'm currently doing STS, but I highly recommend suspension training. It's great because that's all the equipment you need (except maybe a pullup bar)!
zippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 01:36 PM  
Arizonamom

Thanks, I just ordered I.M. Rings for $78

I think these are new.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/g1gd-im...stem-cleveland
I was going to order the Freestyle Trainer for $50 http://www.ringtraining.com/shop/freestyle-trainer.html because I wasn't going to pay $150 for the Human Trainer which was what I really wanted. I didn't know about the gravity bar but I have a pull up bar to use until my gym is completed. You want to be able to put the straps as wide as your arms stretched out for some exercises. But I even have gotten a great workout with my GFlex in my door! I hope suspension trainers keep getting more popular so we have more choices and people will make workout DVDs just for the suspension trainers. There is also the war machine http://www.crosscore-usa.com/ which looks totally cool, but for $20, the GFlex suits me just fine and there is Hang Tuff http://www.agelesstrength.com/hang-tuff-trainer.html I think I can do that with the GFlex cardio belt and my I.M. Rings. There are just so many neat and creative ideas out there!
Old 02-22-12, 05:25 PM  
suegy3

I would like a suspension trainer but I don't have anywhere to hook it. I thought about getting the ceiling mount that TRX sells but I'm not sure if I'd really do the workouts. There are lots of new suspension systems these days. I heard that it's a really good workout..
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 08:36 PM  
Arizonamom

What is your setup?

Everyone can use a doorway. Now, where exactly are you going to set up your Suspension straps? Hallway, Doorway, Ceiling? You catch my drift. I will try to help you. Your right about the DVDs. There are tons of workouts on youtube, where I like to learn from, but I prefer DVDs.
Old 02-22-12, 08:41 PM  
suegy3

Yes, everyone has a doorway but many people don't have room around the doorway to workout. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people. The ceiling contraption would be my only option.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 09:03 PM  
Arizonamom

Ceiling Mounts

If you buy the ceiling mounts from one of the suspension companies it would probably cost you around $35. I saw this on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Gear-Anch...9961560&sr=8-5 It is for only one mount I think.
I would go to your local home improvement store and ask about suspending your suspension straps form the ceiling. Can you just put them anywhere in the ceiling? When we hang pictures on the wall, we have to find studs. And pictures weigh nothing. So I do not know about that. In my new gym, my husband is going to hang a chain that is going to go through a long bar and back up at the ceiling again. So it will swing a little. Oh well. I know that if you look for Human Trainer videos on youtube you will see the guy using a ceiling mount system that has two mounts. I know that people will have hooks in their rafters that are in the ceiling of their basement and they move the suspension straps around. Rosstraining.com explains a lot about the one strap system and two strap system. Or you could just get a great workout with one ceiling mount and buy the TRX or War Machine. I hope I help you.
Old 02-23-12, 08:40 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
Yes, everyone has a doorway but many people don't have room around the doorway to workout. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people. The ceiling contraption would be my only option.
I have mine mounted on my pullup bar in my doorway, so that gives me a lot more room.

I've been using mine for over a year now and love it.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 01:31 PM  
enduranceron

I use my heavy bag stand to hang my Rip60 from. I also bought a pair of Gymnastic Rings to use instead of the Rip60 handles.

I've had it for a year as well and enjoy using it.

I am just about to start a month rotation using Rip60 as my strength workouts...

"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom." - Thomas Carlyle

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." - Mahatma Ghandi
enduranceron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 02:32 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I also like the Rip:60 workouts. I bought them from a Ya-Ya. I can do the rotating moves since I have a Jungle Gym. But I can easily do something else and there are usually only two of those type of exercises per workout.

Tags
gymnastic rings, rip:60, suspension trainer, trx