Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-11, 06:40 PM  
jerebo

do you still use your suspension trainer?

I'm thinking of using an Amazon gift card to buy a suspension trainer (probably the g-flex gravity gym). But I don't want to end up with a device that largely gathers dust. Those of you who have suspension trainers do you find that you use them often? Have you ever traveled with them? Are they convenient?

Any reviews of the g-flex?
Old 09-20-11, 07:47 PM  
sciencelady

Yes, I still use mine (TRX) - I do a lot of different workouts, so I end up using it in my own routines maybe once every two weeks - it's far from the only toy in my toolbox. I always bring it with me for travel. It's light and convenient for me - I bring it to the gym, work out at home with it or take it outdoors when the weather's nice.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 10:34 PM  
bee1forfitness

Me to, I sometimes do a Kbell and TRX rotation, or sometime I mix it with body-weight and sometimes I use it for deep stretching, and I sometimes use it in my interval/cardio stuff, so yes I certainly do use my TRX, it's a awesome piece of equipment love it. When you 1st use it, it may seem taxing on you muscles, but you'll soon get use to it.

Sorry I can't give you any infor on the g-flex, cause I have a TRX
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 08:48 AM  
beatchica

ITA with Sciencelady & Bee1forfitness.

My suspension trainer has been a main stay in my workout regiment for a few years now. As a fitness test, I will add-in a monthly suspension trainer workout to whatever rotation I happen to be doing. I find suspension training is a good way to gauge what areas of my fitness I need to improve and what areas are solid. For example, if I fly through core moves, but tricep extensions feel hard, I know I need to add a little more upper body work to my routine. I find that an occasional suspension trainer workout is a good way to challenge different muscles and it also keeps my body guessing what's next.
beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 01:08 PM  
jerebo

Thanks for the replies! The idea of a suspension trainer sounds great, especially since I will be abroad for the summer and would like to keep up my workouts (I don't plan to travel to Europe with a kettlebell).
Old 09-21-11, 01:31 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I use my suspension trainer too. I have the Jungle Gym with foot straps. Lately, I've been doing the Rip:60 workouts which I bought from a Ya-Ya. I have to modify some of the rotating moves but it still works for most of the exercises.
Old 09-21-11, 01:49 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Thought you might want to hear from someone who does not make good use of one! I bought a Rip:60, and I never mounted any ceiling hook or anything. I used it on my door a couple of times, but it is a little cramped in that area and I get nervous about the use of a door. I took it outside once, but it was kind of a pain to get it hung out there. I had grand plans to make an easier way outside and use it over the summer, but somehow I just never got around to it. So, there you go.....
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 01:56 PM  
jerebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Thought you might want to hear from someone who does not make good use of one! I bought a Rip:60, and I never mounted any ceiling hook or anything. I used it on my door a couple of times, but it is a little cramped in that area and I get nervous about the use of a door. I took it outside once, but it was kind of a pain to get it hung out there. I had grand plans to make an easier way outside and use it over the summer, but somehow I just never got around to it. So, there you go.....
Bee, you're right. It's good to get multiple perspectives!
Old 09-21-11, 02:39 PM  
Kyra

I still use mine. As others have said, it's not the only tool in the box so I can't say I use it every workout or even every week, but I do use it regularly, and in fact plan a mostly TRX workout for Friday. Sometimes I use it at home, sometimes I take it to the gym; either way it offers some unique exercises and/or nice variations on the traditional. I suspect I'll be using it regularly for a looong time.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-11, 03:13 PM  
KathAL79

Thanks for starting this thread! Dh and I have the chance to install our own home gym, and I was debating whether or not to throw a TRX or something similar into the wish list. I think I'll keep it on the wish list for now until we really get into the space and see what we have to work with - and how much money is left over once we get our higher priority items like the squat rack in.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rip:60, suspension trainer, trx, workout space