Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-11, 11:28 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
I keep picturing the moves I use it for. I was thinking the same thing about the pull up bar being secured first too, but since that's anchored I can't think of many positions that you'll have to limit. The only thing that would stop you are certain stretching moves but you wouldn't have to do those directly under the fulcrum. I would say as long as you have space once inside the room, this would work.

I probably wouldn't use it for stretching anyway, but I'll bear that in mind. I notice there is a TRX Flexibility DVD.

So after I checked our Paypal balance I've decided to do the fiscally responsible thing and hold off on buying TRX until next year.

I wasn't planning on buying it right away, just doing some research and checking out my options, ya know?
Old 06-25-11, 06:16 AM  
sciencelady

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post

I probably wouldn't use it for stretching anyway, but I'll bear that in mind. I notice there is a TRX Flexibility DVD.
The flexibility DVD is probably my most used DVD out of all the ones I have for the TRX - great stretches, good pacing, gets to areas that normally don't get worked out - I love it . (man I'm being quite the enabler this morning )
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 06:38 AM  
Steve4404

Trx on pullup bar

Red Panda:

I use the TRX on a pullup bar and it doesn't slide back and forth. I will try to explain how I do it. First you lay the strap over the top of the pullup bar and pull it so the anchor point (buckle) is even with the pullup bar. then you wrap the strap around the bar alternating to the left and to the right of the anchor point. The wrapping left and right will help keep it from sliding around. When the strap has been wound all the way around the pullup bar like this, attach the buckle to the buckle on the anchor point. It works great for me and I weigh 180 lbs. Hope this helps!
Steve4404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 07:07 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Oh yah, that is one dignified kitty.

You could create a Basil & Ziggy album on your "My VF" page!

Wha? Don't tempt me - you know I'm weak and easily influenced!

I was just researching TRX and found a deal for the Propack 2 on an Australian site for $55 off.

Hmm... should I buy now and save $55, knowing that the savings may be offset by the interest on my credit card?

Will the $55 special offer be available next year?

Or should I buy the one DVD left in my challenge with the remaining funds in my TotalFitness account with no damage to my credit card?

Or should I just go and lie down?
RP - I saw down-thread that you decided not to buy the TRX. If you do, at some point, cave, then a secured pull up bar is fine. I was using mine on my pull up bar that just hooks on the door frame, DH came in and told me it looked like an accident waiting to happen.

Now on to Peak Fit! I totally agree with Usia. I haven't felt this stoked about a DVD set in a long time.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 07:42 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
RP I was using mine on my pull up bar that just hooks on the door frame, DH came in and told me it looked like an accident waiting to happen.
That's how I've been using mine for over 6 months and it hasn't once budged. I always test it out before doing a new move. But mine's a Freestyle trainer, not a TRX, so each strap is secured separately and maybe makes it less prone to slipping.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 01:55 PM  
RedPanda

Thanks for the advice guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Now on to Peak Fit! I totally agree with Usia. I haven't felt this stoked about a DVD set in a long time.
Gah! You're all a bunch of enablers!

Although I did check out the clips yesterday and it did look pretty good.
Old 06-25-11, 03:03 PM  
Castella

I have the new Jungle Gym XT (http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx?ID=5607 attached to my pullup bar (Perfect Pullup). I like my setup.

The Jungle Gym has two separate straps which can be linked so that they form one strap. Right now I have them as two straps, each hanging from the pullup bar. Adjusting the length of the strap is quick and easy. I check two things before I use it: that the pullup bar is securely seated in the holding brackets (it can be lifted out of the brackets); and that the straps are securely attached. That takes about 5 seconds and I'm good to go. The straps don't slip or move on the bar. I like having the 2 straps because you can put them right next to each other or space them out, have one a different length than the other, etc.

Limitations for me are the location where I have it set up, there is a wall on one side perpendicular to the doorframe, so if I'm leaning through, I can't open my arms fully without bonking into the wall. On the other hand, the wall kind of comes in handy when I'm doing something stupid, it makes for a nice prop to catch my balance. Also, with the Perfect Pullup bracket, I will only lean out in the direction where the bar is fully locked in the brackets (opposite the side where you can lift the bar up).

I use it mostly for core and upper body strength.

I'm pretty sure you need a suspension trainer. I put off the purchase for the longest time, just like it took me about 2? 3? years to buy a pullup bar. Between the 2 of them, I can really work my back and core like never before. You want it. You need it.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-11, 03:09 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castella View Post
I'm pretty sure you need a suspension trainer. I put off the purchase for the longest time, just like it took me about 2? 3? years to buy a pullup bar. Between the 2 of them, I can really work my back and core like never before. You want it. You need it.
Check out the new tag on this thread!

Seriously, thanks for the recommendation. Now that I've decided to defer my purchase, I have plenty of time to carry out research.

Tags
door anchor, evil enablers, jungle gym, jungle gym xt, trx, trx suspension trainer