Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-24-11, 08:23 PM  
RedPanda

Question TRX attached to pull-up bar?

In my endless quest to find new ways to injure - oops, I meant challenge - myself, I've started toying with the idea of buying a TRX system (or another suspension training system).

I have a small workout area and had always assumed that a TRX was out of the question because it needs to be attached to the ceiling. (I don't like the idea of attaching it to a door, because that doesn't feel secure enough.)

The idea just popped into my head that I could attach the TRX to my pull-up bar which is permanently attached to the doorframe of my workout room; it's about six feet off the ground, and there's a clear area the width of the room immediately inside the door.

Has anyone set up their TRX this way? I guess I'd also need a thingy to secure the TRX to the pull-up bar so that it doesn't slide back and forth.

Would I be able to do all, or most, of the TRX exercises with this set-up? Or would it compromise what I could do?

Input appreciated.
Old 06-24-11, 08:29 PM  
sciencelady

If your pullup bar is permanently installed (firmly anchored), I don't see any problem attaching your TRX to it. The only pullup bars that it's contraindicated for are the ones that hang and use gravity to secure them to the doorway - pulling in directions other than down would pull the pull-up bar away from its anchor point and not be safe. If its actually screwed into the wall, you should be OK.
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 08:30 PM  
neatski

Yep, I don't have a TRX, but I have a Freestyle Suspension trainer, and I've been using it on my door-mounted chinup bar for months. Love it. it works great. Mine has these S hooks on the end that secure it tightly to the pullup bar.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 08:51 PM  
RedPanda

Ooh! Thanks guys!

My pull-up bar is permanently and securely attached to the doorframe. (As I said to the salesman when I bought it, I value my ass more than a doorframe!) I think Mr RedPanda used extra-long screws or bolts when it he installed it so they go right into the wall as well as the doorframe - I'll have to check with him. If not, he can always re-attach it.

Hmm... this idea does sound intriguing!
Old 06-24-11, 08:58 PM  
neatski

Btw, my pullup bar is NOT permanently anchored to my door- it's one of those that secure to the doorframe. I use my suspension trainer heavily and I have not had problems with it.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 09:03 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Ooh! Thanks guys!

My pull-up bar is permanently and securely attached to the doorframe. (As I said to the salesman when I bought it, I value my ass more than a doorframe!) I think Mr RedPanda used extra-long screws or bolts when it he installed it so they go right into the wall as well as the doorframe - I'll have to check with him. If not, he can always re-attach it.

Hmm... this idea does sound intriguing!
You are lucky Mr. RedPanda is handy around the house, unlike my DH. I have mirrors in my workout room and my DH must have used spit instead of adhesive to attach them to the wall, because in the past 1 year, two of the mirrors fell off the wall. I think I'll have to look into attaching them myself, since I am a lot more skillful with tools and implements around the house than he is!
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 09:41 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
You are lucky Mr. RedPanda is handy around the house, unlike my DH. I have mirrors in my workout room and my DH must have used spit instead of adhesive to attach them to the wall, because in the past 1 year, two of the mirrors fell off the wall.

Oh yeah, Mr RedPanda likes fixin' stuff! Which is just as well because I am not a handyperson.

I just asked him about attaching a suspension trainer to the pull-up bar and he said, nonchalantly, "Sure, it's strong enough - go for it!"

Lovin' the new kitty pic Dana! Is that Basil Mycroft or Ziggy?
Old 06-24-11, 09:49 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post

Oh yeah, Mr RedPanda likes fixin' stuff! Which is just as well because I am not a handyperson.

I just asked him about attaching a suspension trainer to the pull-up bar and he said, nonchalantly, "Sure, it's strong enough - go for it!"

Lovin' the new kitty pic Dana! Is that Basil Mycroft or Ziggy?
It's Basil Mycroft....he is so much more dignified than my goofball Ziggy, and I think it shows. This is just a preliminary pix, I'm told and there is much more pix and better to come - naturally, with a MUCH better camera. Guess who is going shopping for one tomorrow, when the OTHER party is going to work!?!

Susan, if you don't have Peak Fitness Challenge yet - you should consider it. I just got this and have now previewed 3/10 dvds and they're GREAT!
Usia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 10:50 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
It's Basil Mycroft....he is so much more dignified than my goofball Ziggy, and I think it shows. This is just a preliminary pix, I'm told and there is much more pix and better to come - naturally, with a MUCH better camera. Guess who is going shopping for one tomorrow, when the OTHER party is going to work!?!
Oh yah, that is one dignified kitty.

You could create a Basil & Ziggy album on your "My VF" page!

Quote:
Susan, if you don't have Peak Fitness Challenge yet - you should consider it. I just got this and have now previewed 3/10 dvds and they're GREAT!
Wha? Don't tempt me - you know I'm weak and easily influenced!

I was just researching TRX and found a deal for the Propack 2 on an Australian site for $55 off.

Hmm... should I buy now and save $55, knowing that the savings may be offset by the interest on my credit card?

Will the $55 special offer be available next year?

Or should I buy the one DVD left in my challenge with the remaining funds in my TotalFitness account with no damage to my credit card?

Or should I just go and lie down?
Old 06-24-11, 10:57 PM  
DirtDiva

I keep picturing the moves I use it for. I was thinking the same thing about the pull up bar being secured first too, but since that's anchored I can't think of many positions that you'll have to limit. The only thing that would stop you are certain stretching moves but you wouldn't have to do those directly under the fulcrum. I would say as long as you have space once inside the room, this would work.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door anchor, evil enablers, jungle gym, jungle gym xt, trx, trx suspension trainer