Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-11, 11:43 PM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve4404 View Post
LindaL:

You make a good point about anchoring the TRX to a door. If you anchor it to a door , it makes it difficult to make it really cahllenging because you get get underneath the anchor point. I use the TRX from a doorway pullup bar and I wrap it all the way around the bar so that the anchor point is a few inches taller than I am (I am 5'11" so the anchor point is around 6'3").

DirtDiva- I am amazed that Train Like the Pros does not get your rate zooming. My heart rate goes above 160 and I am a runner and also do kettlebell workouts. But my pulse also went over 170 during my brief foray into Insanity.

I'm glad that you all like the Executioner!
I have had this very discussion with a few close friends of mine. Even in the heat of Insanity where you drop to the floor, do a burpee, stand up....etc., you all know what I am talking about if you do Insanity, I am not feeling distress. I keep pushing and pushing but my heart rate even drops a bit when I'm doing a round of push-ups and burpees. My doctor said I'm fine and told me he loves to listen to my heart, I suppose that is good.

I agree with the anchor point too, it works so much better anchored to the ceiling so you can hover right underneath. That is a really good idea using a chin-up bar for an anchor. I need to tell a friend about that one!
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 06:59 AM  
Kyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve4404 View Post
LindaL:

You make a good point about anchoring the TRX to a door. If you anchor it to a door , it makes it difficult to make it really cahllenging because you get get underneath the anchor point. I use the TRX from a doorway pullup bar and I wrap it all the way around the bar so that the anchor point is a few inches taller than I am (I am 5'11" so the anchor point is around 6'3").
That's a very good point. I was using the TRX at home and while I liked it, I wasn't over the moon about it. Then I took it to the gym, and used the pull up bar on a double pulley station to anchor it. Holy smokes! It would also be easy to take one to a local park or school with a jungle gym, or use a tree if you have access to one with a good solid low branch. Makes a big difference!

Thanks for the links, too!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 07:07 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

I have used it on my pull up bar, but mine isn't screwed into the door frame, it's just on that hook that slips into the top of the frame. DH saw me using it like that and said it looked like an accident waiting to happen. He takes his outside and anchors it on the entry frame to a tall fence.

Dirt Diva - regarding heartrate, DH is the same. Nothing gets his heartrate up. He can workout like a beast and he's barely sweaty. Granted he doesn't do Insanity or Asylum, but I got him to do rope undulations (which KILL me) and his reaction was, "I don't get it. I don't feel anything."

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 07:18 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
Several years ago there was a VFer who reported using a weighted vest while doing TRX moves. Now that would be killer!
That was me! For squats and rows I still use the vest occasionally. That Predator looks so very good, but I can't find the audio he mentions and the beginning of the video.
The Train Like a Pro is also my favorite TRX DVD together with the Force.
His IYT muscle up move is actually what I do as a warm up all the time for upper body.
Nowadays I use the TRX almost always just to warm up and stretch, but video clips like that makes me want to do more. Maybe I just do it today ha ha.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 08:41 AM  
Vee

I love TRX training at the gym. I marvel at how the same exercise can be made to range from easier to ultra challenging just with body weight resistance. I would not get one for the home. I can't tell why, but I know I will not use it consistently outside a group gym class environment.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-11, 10:07 AM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
That was me! For squats and rows I still use the vest occasionally. That Predator looks so very good, but I can't find the audio he mentions and the beginning of the video.
The Train Like a Pro is also my favorite TRX DVD together with the Force.
His IYT muscle up move is actually what I do as a warm up all the time for upper body.
Nowadays I use the TRX almost always just to warm up and stretch, but video clips like that makes me want to do more. Maybe I just do it today ha ha.
I always think of you when I use mine..."Now what about a plank or suspended burpee with my vest?" But it's tough enough for me without!

I still really like the warm up and leg section from the TRX Express workout. That really cooks your legs! The warm up from Team Sports is also nice, if you have the room to do it.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 04:39 PM  
Steve4404

train like the pros

I did the "train like the pros" workout again today and paid close attention to my heart rate. It is not until the leg part (at about 25 min) that my pulse gets above 140. I also make the leg workout much harder by subbing alternating one -legged squats (with a hop to give it a plyo component) with crossing plyo lunges (also with a hop). It is during nthese 2 rounds of legs and for the 15 minutes of intense core exercises that follow that my heart rate gets above 160. I do find some of Todd Durkin's instructions vague (ie, "Go about 8-12 inches down on that"). Down on what? Lower the straps 8-12" is different from what he means (the straps should be 8-12" from the floor). There are some other annoying quotes such as "we don't get enough Rowin' " and "Janet I know you're the mom of 4 kids so you need to do your split arm reverse flys if you want to take care of all those kids". But my favorite Todd Durkin quote on this DVD: "Doug, great job puttin' that in!"
Steve4404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension trainer, trx, trx suspension trainer