Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-11, 09:03 PM  
Steve4404

Trx

Hi Irisg1:

I have a TRX suspension trainer for over a year and love it. Being in a suspension trainer is an entirely new feeling and takes a lot of getting used to. Give it a chance, it is a great training tool. I am amazed how little respect the TRX gets on this forum. A friend of mine recently took me to her gym and I took a TRX class there. I saw that the class was only 30 minutes so I figured I would work out after the class was over. That 30 min class destroyed me! While I agree with many of the reviewers that the DVds made by the TRX people fall short, there is one DVD that is a good workout "Train like the Pros" It is around 50 min and has a killer core workout towards the end. I burn over 700 calories (heart rate monitor) from that workout. Also if any of you VF readers think you can't get a good workout from the TRX , do a search on "Trainer Chris Executioner TRX workout". I am pasting the youtube link. I tried it and it really is an Executioner!

http://www.trxtraining.com/connect/b...d-trx-workout/
Steve4404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 09:50 AM  
Irisg1

I agree with you Steve. I am somewhat surprised myself that suspension training isn't very popular. I know it's kind of a new concept, at least at the gyms. I am lucky enough that my new gym offers several TRX classes during the week, so I don't have to buy one to use at home. I strength train mostly using dumbells & barbells. Now and then I use tubing. I have to say, I could not believe how sore I felt from TRX. My biceps, triceps and lats felt totally worked. The first time I tried TRX was at a 30 minute introductory class, and that time, my glutes and legs were soo sore, I could barely sit for days, lol. It's amazing how much lower you can squat using suspension. The core work is unbelievable.

I'm actually looking forward to taking another TRX class tomorrow evening. This one is taught by a different instructor who seems a bit hard core, but I hope to find the class more enjoyable than Saturday's.

Thanks for your imput and link. I will check it out from my home computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve4404 View Post
Hi Irisg1:

I have a TRX suspension trainer for over a year and love it. Being in a suspension trainer is an entirely new feeling and takes a lot of getting used to. Give it a chance, it is a great training tool. I am amazed how little respect the TRX gets on this forum. A friend of mine recently took me to her gym and I took a TRX class there. I saw that the class was only 30 minutes so I figured I would work out after the class was over. That 30 min class destroyed me! While I agree with many of the reviewers that the DVds made by the TRX people fall short, there is one DVD that is a good workout "Train like the Pros" It is around 50 min and has a killer core workout towards the end. I burn over 700 calories (heart rate monitor) from that workout. Also if any of you VF readers think you can't get a good workout from the TRX , do a search on "Trainer Chris Executioner TRX workout". I am pasting the youtube link. I tried it and it really is an Executioner!

Old 06-15-11, 11:08 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Hi Irisg1:
While I agree with many of the reviewers that the DVds made by the TRX people fall short, there is one DVD that is a good workout "Train like the Pros"
Where did you buy this? I'm intrigued.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 11:23 AM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Where did you buy this? I'm intrigued.
http://www.trxtraining.com/page/000-94127/PROD/TLPDVD

I think you can only get it off their site. I have it too, very tough.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 06:53 PM  
neatski

Quote:
Hi Irisg1:
Also if any of you VF readers think you can't get a good workout from the TRX , do a search on "Trainer Chris Executioner TRX workout". I am pasting the youtube link. I tried it and it really is an Executioner!

Ok this looks AMAZING, as does its predecessor, The Predator. I'm going to try the Predator this week. I already tried some of those exercises, and they're SO creative and tough!

Thank you so much for posting this!

And thanks, Diva, once I've tried these written workouts I might purchase the TRX one. Does it keep your heart rate up throughout? I don't know if the video clip is representative.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 07:15 PM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Ok this looks AMAZING, as does its predecessor, The Predator. I'm going to try the Predator this week. I already tried some of those exercises, and they're SO creative and tough!

Thank you so much for posting this!

And thanks, Diva, once I've tried these written workouts I might purchase the TRX one. Does it keep your heart rate up throughout? I don't know if the video clip is representative.
Not for me, not throughout, but that is me. Even doing Insanity, I have a hard time getting my heart rate over 140 bpm. The only thing that does it for me is mountainbiking.
Old 06-15-11, 07:59 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Hi Irisg1:

I think that is because the TRX DVDs leave something to be desired. It's also tough if you don't have a ceiling mount to be able to anchor your TRX on a door that allows you to see the TV. I take my TRX on vacations. The TRX circuits that I come up with absolutely kill me. I can only do 3 rounds (about 25 minutes) and I'm toast. DH uses it regularly (with circuits that I make for him) because he really doesn't enjoy traditional weight training.

Several years ago there was a VFer who reported using a weighted vest while doing TRX moves. Now that would be killer!

Dirt Diva - do you have the first Ropes and Straps? That one is pretty tough. I'm disappointed that they shorted the work time in Ropes and Straps 2.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 08:51 PM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaL View Post
I think that is because the TRX DVDs leave something to be desired. It's also tough if you don't have a ceiling mount to be able to anchor your TRX on a door that allows you to see the TV. I take my TRX on vacations. The TRX circuits that I come up with absolutely kill me. I can only do 3 rounds (about 25 minutes) and I'm toast. DH uses it regularly (with circuits that I make for him) because he really doesn't enjoy traditional weight training.

Several years ago there was a VFer who reported using a weighted vest while doing TRX moves. Now that would be killer!

Dirt Diva - do you have the first Ropes and Straps? That one is pretty tough. I'm disappointed that they shorted the work time in Ropes and Straps 2.
Yes, I have both Ropes & Straps, and I agree! They are tough workouts, and I love what they do for the finer muscle groups. Sometimes I call the TRX my putty knife.
Old 06-15-11, 10:22 PM  
Steve4404

trx

LindaL:

You make a good point about anchoring the TRX to a door. If you anchor it to a door , it makes it difficult to make it really cahllenging because you get get underneath the anchor point. I use the TRX from a doorway pullup bar and I wrap it all the way around the bar so that the anchor point is a few inches taller than I am (I am 5'11" so the anchor point is around 6'3").

DirtDiva- I am amazed that Train Like the Pros does not get your rate zooming. My heart rate goes above 160 and I am a runner and also do kettlebell workouts. But my pulse also went over 170 during my brief foray into Insanity.

I'm glad that you all like the Executioner!
Steve4404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 11:41 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
I am somewhat surprised myself that suspension training isn't very popular.
I think it probably has a lot to do with the pricing. I would never pay $189 + tax + shipping for something I'm not sure I would love, so I'm not likely to buy one. We have classes at my gym too, but you have to buy them separately, and they're $100/6 sessions, so that's an impediment as well. It looks really neat but I'm not ready to spend the $$ to try it out.

If the set was $100 or less, I might spring for it just to see.

Of course, I could always try Craigslist, I guess.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension trainer, trx, trx suspension trainer