Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-11, 08:24 PM  
Irisg1

TRX? - Your Opinions?

I recently joined a new gym that offers "TRX" classes. So far I've taken two classes. Still unsure how I feel about this method of training. I am sore the next day, so I imagine TRX is effective, but not particularly enjoyable for me. I took a class yesterday where the instructor did circuits of 3 different exercises and repeated them for 3 rounds. It was a tough workout, and I found myself glancing at the clock to see how much time was left on the hour. This doesn't happen to me when I'm doing something I enjoy, like kickboxing or the Boxing workouts at this gym where we utilize the heavy-bags. During another class this week, "Total Body Blast", the instructor at that class brought up TRX with us. He shared with us, that in his opinion, he can't see how effective TRX can be. He said he's soo used to working out with weights, that he just doesn't see how using your own body weight can be effective. I think he should take a TRX class himself so he can better judge if it's effective or not.

Anyway, it made me think. I don't recall reading much on VFF about TRX, so I was wondering how many of you actually enjoy TRX and what results you have achieved? It would help inspire and motivate me to enjoy these classes more if I knew others have had good results with TRX training.

Your opinions and feedback are greatly appreciated
Old 06-12-11, 10:41 PM  
neatski

Just wanted to point out that it sounds to me like you just don't enjoy this particular style of working out very much. There are many effective ways to train, but as a lot of people on here say, the most effective thing is consistency, and it's hard to be consistent with something you don't enjoy!

That said, I'm one of those fans of bodyweight exercises and I completely disagree with that instructor re: effectiveness of bodyweight exercises vs. heavy weights. I am by far the most muscular and lean that I've ever been in my life, and I do pretty much exclusively bodyweight exercises. I have a suspension trainer (not a TRX but the same idea) and I LOVE it. Adding it into my routine has offered me a lot more variety in my bodyweight circuits. Doing incline or decline pushups, for example, on the suspension trainer is MUCH harder than doing them on the floor because you have to stabilize yourself. I like that it adds more core work to the lower body work as well- for example, in deep suspended lunges. I was already at my physical fitness level before I started using the suspension trainer, though, so I can't really speak to its effectiveness, only to the fact that I really enjoy the variety that it brings to me and I've easily maintained m fitness level while using it.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 11:00 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Just wanted to point out that it sounds to me like you just don't enjoy this particular style of working out very much. There are many effective ways to train, but as a lot of people on here say, the most effective thing is consistency, and it's hard to be consistent with something you don't enjoy!

That said, I'm one of those fans of bodyweight exercises and I completely disagree with that instructor re: effectiveness of bodyweight exercises vs. heavy weights. I am by far the most muscular and lean that I've ever been in my life, and I do pretty much exclusively bodyweight exercises. I have a suspension trainer (not a TRX but the same idea) and I LOVE it. Adding it into my routine has offered me a lot more variety in my bodyweight circuits. Doing incline or decline pushups, for example, on the suspension trainer is MUCH harder than doing them on the floor because you have to stabilize yourself. I like that it adds more core work to the lower body work as well- for example, in deep suspended lunges. I was already at my physical fitness level before I started using the suspension trainer, though, so I can't really speak to its effectiveness, only to the fact that I really enjoy the variety that it brings to me and I've easily maintained m fitness level while using it.
Ditto. And many times you are actually lifting more weight via body weight exercises than you typically do when pumping iron. IMHO, your instructor is probably just more comfortable with his own routine. Suspension training will give you awesome core strength if you stick with it. HTH.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 11:07 PM  
DirtDiva

I have a TRX and use it mainly for rest periods while kettlebelling. For example, if I feel pretty winded, I will hang on it and stretch out before my next set. I love doing body weight squats and lunges on it too. Plus it is unparalleled for body weight exercises. I have nearly all of their dvd's, which are instructional in nature and not much fun, plus they are fairly expensive. I really wish they could come up with workouts combined with music...and get rid of all the talking. But...the TRX is amazing for fine-tuning, I love how it feels, especially when you are close to the floor. It gets pretty tough and I am happy I have it.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 06:55 AM  
spufflez

I had a personal trainer who said the opposite, that the TRX works you better than using handweights or kettlebells. It's probably just doing what you enjoy the most that will get you the results, if you do it consistently.
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 07:07 AM  
sciencelady

I have a TRX and love using it. It's a great option for me to use at home (or outside ). I think suspension training in general is a nice change of pace from normal weight exercises and works the core and shoulder stability more than conventional exercises. I also like the freedom of movement in doing rotational exercises and stretches in planes of movement that don't normally get used much in conventional weight lifting. I like the ability to increase or decrease difficulty by adjusting your body angle in the exercise (vs needing a different set of weights or a different size KB). It's been a great tool for rehabbing my knee post-surgery.

I have a TRX and am very pleased with the equipment quality, company support and availability of exercise videos. There are other suspension trainers on the market these days too - haven't looked into them much as I've had no reason to...

I think suspension training in general is great to add on as a new tool in the repertoire of your workouts, but I don't use it exclusively. I still like my conventional weights, kettlebells, and body weight exercises all in a happy mix .
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 07:13 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
I have a TRX and use it mainly for rest periods while kettlebelling. For example, if I feel pretty winded, I will hang on it and stretch out before my next set. I love doing body weight squats and lunges on it too. Plus it is unparalleled for body weight exercises. I have nearly all of their dvd's, which are instructional in nature and not much fun, plus they are fairly expensive. I really wish they could come up with workouts combined with music...and get rid of all the talking. But...the TRX is amazing for fine-tuning, I love how it feels, especially when you are close to the floor. It gets pretty tough and I am happy I have it.
This is exactly how I use it for many years. If you are in a good shape already, most of the standing moves are not very challenging, except maybe the one legged squats. But they feel very good and the stretch is awesome. Now the suspended core stuff is totally different, they can be extremely difficult. I think it is easy to hit that plateau where you are not getting much stronger on the TRX anymore, but it is an awesome toy, I use it almost all the time for warm ups and cool downs.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 09:15 AM  
Kyra

I have a TRX and I like to use it as an alternative way to do traditional BW exercises. It's fun, it's challenging, it provides wonderful ROM, and I get incredible stretches on it. And I'd walk politely away from any "trainer" who didn't understand how bodyweight/suspension exercises could be effective. Really?

I don't think TRX is the be-all, end-all, but it's a great tool to have in your toybox.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 10:25 AM  
Irisg1

Thanks everyone for your imput. I plan to try it again at Thursday's class, with a different instructor. I think the reason I didn't enjoy it all that much is the fact I had done weight-lifting the day before, so my upper body was already worked pretty well. The suspended push-ups were really challenging for me. I definitely felt my muscles working all over. Ab work is definitely no joke either. Also, my heart-rate was up in the burning zone pretty much through-out the workout, which "I think" is a good thing for me
Old 06-13-11, 12:48 PM  
Castella

I like my suspension system (it's not TRX) but I would not enjoy working ONLY on it. It's great for some things. I'd get irritated if I had to do everything on it for 30 minutes or an hour though.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension trainer, trx, trx suspension trainer