Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-21, 12:41 PM  
bubbles76

Thoughts on Cardio Karate

With my one knee getting worse, I'm anticipating surgery in my future. I haven't been to the doctor for it, but it's been hurting since at least June of last year and has gotten worse, not better. I think I've done some real damage to it. It has gotten to the point where even simple step (Katina Hunter's Vertical Step Party 2) on no risers and no impact causes knee pain. I can still do squats if very careful, but lunges can be problematic.

Given that, I'm looking for high intensity, low impact exercises until I can get in for surgery and after when I recover. I have some kickboxing (llaria, KCM, Amy Bento, Cathe, Everybody Fitness, Susan Chung, 10 Minute Solution, Piloxing, Tracey Staehle, Lynn Hahn), but they don't leave me a sweaty mess. Okay, well Amy does haha! I'm looking for sweat! I was thinking of Cardio Karate. Are these workouts intense enough and different enough to justify the purchase? Or should I just use what I have and get a weighted vest?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 01:08 PM  
sherry7899

I am sorry about your knee pain! I hope you do not need surgery.

Please don't buy Cardio Karate-I would be glad to pass along mine. I don't think I even used it.....just send me your address and when we're dug out of the currently falling snow I'll send it to you .

Well, maybe wait for opinions from people who have done it if they think it's safe for you, but if you end up wanting it, just let me know.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 02:13 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Oh my gosh - I've been doing some de-cluttering in my storage area and found that I have this!! I have not opened it. But it sounds good, so I hope to start using it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 02:31 PM  
Pam

I have same problems: a knee that doesn’t like high impact and I can’t find low impact cardio that gets my heart rate as high as I want. I have seen recommendations to wear weight vests (which I have), or hold hand weights, but I don’t think my knee would like these. I am going to try Amy’s DVDs.

Can you use a rebounder? I do Insanity on it. I can also run slowly on dirt roads. Dirt is a softer surface than pavement and every step is a little different and so less wearing. Both of these get my heart rate.
Old 02-07-21, 03:25 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

bubbles, I'm not sure if it would work for you. I've done (well, watched mostly) the one with Gay Gasper and there are some up and down floor moves that might not be something you want to do. Of course you can modify, but do you want to do so?

I'm with Sherry too--this set isn't my cup of tea so far based on the two that I've actually watched or done, so I would send you mine if you think it would work for you.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-21, 09:08 PM  
jetlitis

I think I found one of the Cardio Karate workouts with Amy Bento on Youtube called "Cardio Intense with Amy Bento." The person who uploaded the workout also uploaded several other workouts from the Cardio Karate DVD set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZxp...yBxqUi5LIapb65

I was actually looking for a Cardio Karate preview but ran into the above Amy Bento workout. I love kickboxing, and may try this workout at a later date.

Also, I found a different (?) 28 minute Cardio Karate Infomercial with host Gay Gaspar. This set included 12 DVDs. I think the original Cardio Karate contained 14 DVDs -- feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since I don't own either sets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAW4pjwsZr0&t=687s
jetlitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 01:50 PM  
bubbles76

Sherry and Cataddict, you are both so sweet! I will gladly accept the offer from either of you.

Cataddict, I don't mind going up and down. Makes the time go by quicker. I don't get dizzy if it's not too much of it, and Gay Gasper can pretty much convince me that anything is a good idea

Pam, I can use a rebounder and have one. I have had to be careful lately, because one false hop and I am in pain. It's the back and side of my knee, if that makes any sense. I so wish I could run again! Hip pain keeps me from running.

Jetlitis that second link looks like -- a very pretty Cardio Karate! Like they took Cardio Karate and put it on the Blood Type workout set. I like the prettiness of it. I've never seen this set though. I've always seen the one that looked grittier, like an actual gym.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 02:17 PM  
Nelly G

Hi Keiahna,

I am sorry to hear about your knee. I hope your knee gets soon better.

I have a rebounder and I do not advise to jump with your knee because one wrong movement and it could get worse. You better be safe.

Just know on Fit On there is also kickboxing for free.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 02:54 PM  
Rhonda

Hi Sherry and Cataddict,

Depending on who Bubbles decides, I wouldn't mind taking a set.

if either of you are interested in trading, I have a ton of DVDs, just let me know what your looking for.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 06:02 PM  
horusosiris

Bubbles - I am sorry about your knee. I hope that it will improve either with or without surgery. Here are some reviews of the Cardio Karate workouts.

https://crm549.blogspot.com/search?q=cardio+karate

I have all of the workouts in the set but there are a few that I particularly enjoy.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio karate