Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-21, 08:03 PM  
Erica H.

Anyone have recommendations for a new anti-burst stability ball? Maybe we can get a group discount!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 08:58 PM  
Karla25

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
I can't believe it happened to me but it did! my ball burst when I was doing chest flies and my arm (near my wrist) is broken Having surgery on Friday to fix it.
I am grateful that my injury isn't worse! My ball was probably over 7 years old and probably should have been replaced sooner.

I feel like i have to warn people that this can and does happen. I was using 20lb weights on a 65cm ball. I found the ball convenient compared to a bench because it took up so little space.

I will use a bench from now on! Be careful if you use a ball. Keep it well inflated and check it for wear and tear. Mine was "anti-burst" but it split along a seam and I went down fast even though technically it didnt "burst".

Sorry for typos, I am trying to type with one (non-dominant as luck would have it!) hand.

Really wanted to get the message out.
I did Cathe’s Lite Pyramid Pump today and I thought of you. Today was the first time I was paranoid about using a ball :-) I guess it’s a good thing though. I checked my ball over before using it and used caution during the exercises.
Old 01-31-21, 11:52 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Oh that stinks! I hope your surgery went well and that you recover quickly.
I was using my stability ball last week for the first time in quite some time. I was thinking that I could probably use one that is slightly smaller. Now I realize that mine should be replaced because I couldn't tell you how old it is. At least 10 years old but probably much older. Yikes!
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 08:40 AM  
sciencelady

Ack! I'm so sorry your ball collapsed and caused you some damage needing surgery. Mine's about 10+ years old and I'm thinking of getting it tossed...
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 09:54 AM  
gladgirl

How frightening! Wishing you a speedy recovery/healing.
Thank you for sharing.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-21, 01:36 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
. One site also recommended writing the date of purchase on your ball as a reminder of when to replace it.
Great idea, I write the dates on the side soles of my workout shoes but never thought to do this with my balls. Mine are at least five years old, time for replacements.

Hope you recover soon, Frostyjan. Scary accident!
Old 02-03-21, 07:42 AM  
Rhonda

wishing you a speedy recovery.

I actually never liked using the ball for weight training. I just felt too unstable. I have my bench out and use that for any weight training.

I actually don't use my ball very much anymore. I probably could get rid of it and not miss it.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 12:49 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I've had the same ball for close to 20 years! It seems fine. I do check it over now and then. I remember specifically buying an "anti-burst" ball at the time. Most of the balls I've seen (at the gym, etc.) are sort of a smooth plastic. This one is different, seem more of a squishy-looking material, if that makes sense.

It's a TherapyZone ball. The company doesn't seem to be around anymore and a quick Google search didn't turn up anything similar.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 01:36 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
wishing you a speedy recovery.

I actually never liked using the ball for weight training. I just felt too unstable. I have my bench out and use that for any weight training.

I actually don't use my ball very much anymore. I probably could get rid of it and not miss it.
Yeah, I don't use the ball as a with weights. I have a bench for that. I do back and hip extensions on them and with some mat workouts. I also used to do hamstring curls on them (feet on ball, bridge up and drag ball into glutes) and should go back to doing them again.
I actually hardly use it but I think it's handy to have.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 09:23 AM  
Daphne M

Oh no! Yes, this did happen to a spin instructor at my gym many many years ago. He actually broke both arms. I've been a scaredy cat about how I use my stability ball ever since.

frostyjan - You must be going stir crazy waiting for that surgery. You're one of the fittest and most active people I know. Are you okay with walking? Anything that gets you outside for 20 minutes every day will help.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, anti-burst ball, injury, injury prevention, safety, stability ball