Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-20, 09:38 AM  
laurajhawk

I recently treated myself to Jessica's Walk Strong 2 set (except the yoga, which I already had). I'm liking them a lot. Today I broke the shrinkwrap on Build Balance + Inner Strength and did the Core Control workout; it's a lovely feel-good fusion but still felt like a workout. I have to admit I enjoy Beth *not* being in these - it's just Jessica and her mom - Beth annoys me a bit.

(I had Walk Strong and WS3 and lots of other Jessicas, but skipped the WS2 workouts until now just because I felt I had enough. But lately I've been impatient for her new set, so I decided to go ahead and get these in the meantime, and I'm glad I did!)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-20, 06:30 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Another Linda Woolridge download from the Tighten It series: Glutes and Thighs. I was avoiding this one because it had curtsey lunges and I thought it would put too much pressure on the ball and toes of my surgery foot. However in these moves most of the weight was on the front leg as you were really working your glutes so it did not bother my rear foot at all.

This was a really good workout. It really worked my glutes and thighs and got my heart rate up a bit. I needed to fiddle around with a few different bands to tailor the resistance for different exercises but it wasn't too much of a pain.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-20, 05:00 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Today I did yet another Linda Woolridge download from her Slide and Burn Series- the weights workout. This is the only one of the three I have that I hadn't tried and it was quite good. Sometimes the "sock" on my Valslide type glider slips off which is frustrating but I otherwise enjoyed this workout. It is a good glute burner and it got my heart rate up a bit. As is often the case with Linda, she sometimes moves a bit too fast to get the best form so I just go at my own pace.
There were some moves at the end that put a bit too much pressure on the ball of my foot but I did a few of the reps until I started to feel uncomfortable.

Sometime soon I am going to start a still to be determined paper strength training program- probably from Nia Shanks. Until then and even after I start, I am going to try to incorporate workout videos I have never or rarely done. This hopefully will encourage me to purge unused workouts from my collection in my never ending effort to de clutter my house.
Old 12-08-20, 07:10 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I did Mark Lauren's Mobility Rx workout 1 on Sunday and Workout 2 today. I did workout one years ago and don't think I ever did the second one. They were good for what I am looking for right now.

I am having some foot soreness after walking which is improving after changing my shoes. I used to prefer minimalist shoes but post surgery I can't fit my feet into it yet. My post surgery shoes don't have much padding though and my feet hurt during and after my walk. I added inserts and tried several pairs of different shoes but they still hurt after my walk. I just got new Altra running shoes which my sister recommended because of the good cushioning and the soreness after walking has improved.

Aside from the shoe issue it occurred to me that I might need to improve my mobility so I revisited the Mobility workouts. They are a bit longer than I would like but I can just do 1 or 2 of the 3 rounds for each workouts if I am short on time.
Old 12-08-20, 07:15 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I recently treated myself to Jessica's Walk Strong 2 set (except the yoga, which I already had). I'm liking them a lot. Today I broke the shrinkwrap on Build Balance + Inner Strength and did the Core Control workout; it's a lovely feel-good fusion but still felt like a workout. I have to admit I enjoy Beth *not* being in these - it's just Jessica and her mom - Beth annoys me a bit.

(I had Walk Strong and WS3 and lots of other Jessicas, but skipped the WS2 workouts until now just because I felt I had enough. But lately I've been impatient for her new set, so I decided to go ahead and get these in the meantime, and I'm glad I did!)
The Jessica Smith's Walk Strong programs were mentioned in another thread so I checked them out online. How are the strength workouts in terms of difficulty? Are they done at a pretty slow pace or is it geared toward getting your heart rate up? I generally don't care for walking workouts though. Maybe I will try some of her YouTube workouts.
Old 12-08-20, 10:00 PM  
Vantreesta

I keep forgetting to post here. I've been working my way through Lee Holden's 30 Day Qi Gong challenge and Cathe's XTrain and Perfect 30.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-20, 11:15 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
The Jessica Smith's Walk Strong programs were mentioned in another thread so I checked them out online. How are the strength workouts in terms of difficulty? Are they done at a pretty slow pace or is it geared toward getting your heart rate up? I generally don't care for walking workouts though. Maybe I will try some of her YouTube workouts.
Walk Strong 1 is slower, geared more for beginners. Walk Strong 2 is faster, with lighter weights. Walk Strong 3 is heavier weights. It's more difficult and uses a step in some workouts. However, I find I can modify it pretty well.

Walk Strong sets are not walking workouts, it's mostly toning and strength. There is some cardio, but not a regular walk workout. Here is the playlist with clips from her workouts.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oZjU2skEKEap93
Old 12-09-20, 06:03 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Walk Strong 1 is slower, geared more for beginners. Walk Strong 2 is faster, with lighter weights. Walk Strong 3 is heavier weights. It's more difficult and uses a step in some workouts. However, I find I can modify it pretty well.

Walk Strong sets are not walking workouts, it's mostly toning and strength. There is some cardio, but not a regular walk workout. Here is the playlist with clips from her workouts.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oZjU2skEKEap93
Thank you Sherry for the information.
Old 12-24-20, 04:49 PM  
fanofladyvols

I have done all four phases of the Feeling Pretty remarkable Knee program.

The major difference between the phases has to do with the 'Load' or strengthening program. Each phase increases the balance, core or strength challenge. Equipment needed are a yoga strap, mat, dvd case, and sturdy chair. No weights are used.
Each phase has a learn the phase and do the phase. 'Learn the phase' is chaptered and breaks the exercises into bracing, limber, load and lengthen for Phase 1 and 2. No bracing chapter in Phase 3/4. There's a screen introduction to each exercise, even the workout. Each exercise has a time bar on the screen.
The first two phases spend time on what he calls bracing which is about engaging the core. Phase 3 and 4 don't mention the bracing separately just brief reminders and move along at a quicker pace.
The 'Do the phase' are all roughly 20ish minutes.

I'd say if you're not currently rehabbing the first two phases aren't necessary purchases. Phase 3 and 4 can be wrist intensive if that's a concern.

I like these DVDs but they're not party in a box. This instruction is no nonsense and to the point. To modify would mean to do the lower number phase.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-21, 10:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I recently finished a 4 week Nia Shanks strength training program along with walking. I was going to continue with another phase of this Nia Shanks program or another written program but I have been kind of bored by them. So I started doing Linda's videos again.
This week I did the following new to me downloads:
From the Upper Body Light and Heavy Series I did the pyramid and reverse pyramid workouts. They were pretty hard for me because of the number of reps. I had to use lighter weights than she was using and it was still hard.
I purchased this series on sale - she doesn't put out a lot of upper body workouts or at least I don't have many in my collection.
I also did the Outer thighs and Abs workout from the Ankle Weight series which I recently purchased. I really liked this although I took the weights off for the abs section. Her abs work is plenty challenging for me without the weights.
I am not sure if I will continue with Linda's workouts or something else until I get my mojo back to do paper strength workouts. I generally like following a program so I don't have to make decisions before working out. I have been taking about 3 long walks (5+miles) per week plus shorter dog walks.

Tags
shrinkwrap, tsha jacobson, virgin workouts, virgins