Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-09-17, 08:25 AM  
TinaT

Callanetics

I've never ever done this form of exercise. Tho, watching clips, it appears to be very close to barre. Yes?

I hit a wall yesterday with working out and felt exhausted the majority of the day. I think I need to change things up and give my Firms a rest for a bit. (and right when I acquired a TransFIRMer).

I was over at Total Fitness looking through clips and these 3 looks good to me. What do you think? Callanetics Express, Count Down 30 Days, Wake Up and Wind Down.

Suggestions? Thanks.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 08:31 AM  
Demeris

I can't recommend any of those you've listed as I don't own them.

I would suggest Callan's old AM/PM or her 10 in 10. I would also recommend any of Sandra Hannah's downloads.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 08:46 AM  
TinaT

Demeris ~ I viewed a clip over at Collage Video of the AM/PM you suggested. What I viewed seems to be a lot of what I viewed by Lacie Kondi, only current. I'm assuming there are core exercises used in every program? I guess I'm looking for something between barre and Classical Stretch. Callanetics seems to maybe fit that bill.

ETA: I like the preview clip of her Extreme dvd, but there's no chapters. It says you can hit the skip/next button ... is this an easy program to break into 2 workouts?
Old 09-09-17, 09:25 AM  
IceQueen07

I started doing Callanetics about 30 days and I honestly love it. I did the Countdown. I have also been doing SB Barre streaming at the same time. I can definitely see changes since starting and it is so easy on the joints and my flexibility has increased. I have signed up for a month of the streaming to try the other instructors. I never thought that the small movements would make a difference, but it does.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 11:15 AM  
Jewels5

Callanetics definitely has a place in my collection but for some reason I prefer the original over the newer workouts. My most used is Callan's AM PM Callanetics. I like that you can get a quick and efficient workout in, or string them both together. The PM one totally relaxes me before bedtime.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 11:19 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

I would strongly recommend trying Callanetics. Although I started with the Original 10/10, and have never done any of the ones you listed, I would recommend one of those to learn the newer technique and form instruction. I took classes for a couple years with a certified instructor and found out there are many changes an adaptations to the original technique for safety and effectiveness. In addition, I understand it has been further updated by Sandra Hanna in those DVDs you listed.

I looks like a lot of people start with Countdown in 30 Days. When I get back to Callanetics, that is probably what I would try.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 11:34 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
Demeris ~ I viewed a clip over at Collage Video of the AM/PM you suggested. What I viewed seems to be a lot of what I viewed by Lacie Kondi, only current. I'm assuming there are core exercises used in every program? I guess I'm looking for something between barre and Classical Stretch. Callanetics seems to maybe fit that bill.

ETA: I like the preview clip of her Extreme dvd, but there's no chapters. It says you can hit the skip/next button ... is this an easy program to break into 2 workouts?
Yes, there are core exercises used in every program.

Callan gives good cues, but Sandra Hanna's cuing is the best cuing, of any instructor of any form of exercise, that I've ever encountered.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 11:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
I've never ever done this form of exercise. Tho, watching clips, it appears to be very close to barre. Yes?

I hit a wall yesterday with working out and felt exhausted the majority of the day. I think I need to change things up and give my Firms a rest for a bit. (and right when I acquired a TransFIRMer).

I was over at Total Fitness looking through clips and these 3 looks good to me. What do you think? Callanetics Express, Count Down 30 Days, Wake Up and Wind Down.

Suggestions? Thanks.
it is probably one of the first barre workouts ever to be on video and offered to the public. the Callanetics 10/10 workout came out in 1986 on betamax - one of my first videos that i ever owned! i then changed to VHS, and then to DVD.

i have all of Callan's workouts on DVD except for Beginning Callanetics, and I have all of Lacey's except Wake Up/Wind Down.

i really like the Callanetics Express because you have several short workouts that you can choose from the main menu. it's not programmable.

back to a time when my collection was more "concise", The Firm, Karen Voight, Kathy Smith, and Callanetics made up the core of my collection!

i still prefer Callan - especially the 10/10 workout (DVD link), and purchased Lacey for more variety. if you have access to a public library, see whether they have Callan's book (link) that you could borrow. it's very inspiring.

someone posted a thread akin to "Everything Barre" which would list these types of workouts. nowadays, there's so many to choose from. Callan Pinckney was a student of Lotte Berk however, Callan developed her own style and was the first to publish books and videos on her method.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-17, 01:34 PM  
TinaT

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cal...ondi-p/734.htm

I find it interesting that on the back of the Extreme workout, Callan is pictured. It reads as if Callan created this workout for Lacey to film.
Old 09-09-17, 02:17 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Cal...ondi-p/734.htm

I find it interesting that on the back of the Extreme workout, Callan is pictured. It reads as if Callan created this workout for Lacey to film.
My take on the copy is they are trying to communicate that it is an updated version of Super Callanetics (Callan's actual most advance workout.) But I'm not sure if that is actually true, as I've never done nor even have either workout.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callan pinckney, callanetics, callanetics evolution, pure sculpt