Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-16, 06:41 PM  
hotncmom

Menopause fat loss - what to prioritize

I'm going through menopause (well, I almost made it a whole year, anyway), or very close to it. Out of nowhere this spring I gained 10 lbs. of pure FAT!

It's especially on my thighs! I've always had very lean legs (apple shape), but the fat has deposited itself on my thighs (back, front, and center) and my arms and back. NOTHING fits me anymore! I don't have a single pair of pants or jeans that fit. I'm wearing yoga pants, leggings, or dresses every day.

I've upped my exercise but nothing seems to be happening. Every time I step on the scale it seems higher than the last time. I'm approaching 15 extra pounds of weight gain since the spring.

Obviously I need to change up my diet - I know that. I eat pretty healthy in general but I'm trying to cut down on sugar and bread even more, and eat smaller portions. This sucks!

I am already on thyroid medication and have been tested recently.

So in terms of exercise, I'm walking, doing a Ballet Body DVD 3 times a week and on opposite days I'm doing lower body floorwork, yoga, and stretching. My walking goal is at least 3 miles/day. Some days I go over (I'm almost to 4 today), and some under, but my weekly goal is at least 21 miles/week.

I have a job so it's not like I can spend much more time than I already am right now exercising. I would love to add Kundalini yoga but fitting it in with everything else is probably too much (even doing the warm up, one segment and the closing prayer of a Raviana DVD takes about 20 minutes).

I'd love to increase my walking time but it might be hard to do everything else as well.

I currently exercise when I get off work. I stop by a trail and walk on the way home, and then I do a workout DVD before dinner. I'd love to add a morning session but I'm already getting up at 6:00 AM to get my kids off to school and can't eat breakfast until about 7:15 (when my DD leaves for the bus) because of my thyroid meds. I eat breakfast, shower, and go to work.

Any suggestions? I've never had anything like this happen! I have successfully lost 20 lbs. before but this weight doesn't seem to want to budge.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-16, 06:49 PM  
cherimac

I am so sorry. I'm in the middle of perimenopause at 51 and it's tough. My weight now sits on my thighs and low abs if I gain.

I have no idea what to tell you. For me, taking things down a notch is what helped for sure. I walk 2ish miles in the morning and about 3/4 a mile at night(stroll with DH and the dog). I do Pilates by Lisa workouts daily-and it's not easy breezy stuff. I have had some luck adding in Intervals 3 days a week with SBF. But my diet has to be tight. If I let go a bit(I did that this summer and fall because we moved and my two oldest children moved out and/or started college-in a two month span), I will gain weight. I'm having to get an extra few pounds off now from all of that.

I wish I knew what would work for you. It's a hard period of life. I'm looking forward to being on the other side of it.
Old 10-27-16, 06:51 PM  
cherimac

I will send you a p.m. too.
Old 10-27-16, 07:09 PM  
Fitstick

I'm having the same problem and I have never had problems with my weight until now. I saw my doctor yesterday and even though I workout and generally eat healthy, she said it's all about diet. She encouraged me to lose the weight now and eat clean Monday thru Friday. Otherwise every year that goes by could get worse. The diet needs to be clean as well as portion control. Typically my exercise was the ticket but now it's all about the diet. Sorry for the bad news... I just turned 48 and last year was when I really noticed my pants no longer fit and same problem with the thighs... it's very frustrating.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-16, 07:17 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I'm having the same problem and I have never had problems with my weight until now. I saw my doctor yesterday and even though I workout and generally eat healthy, she said it's all about diet. She encouraged me to lose the weight now and eat clean Monday thru Friday. Otherwise every year that goes by could get worse. The diet needs to be clean as well as portion control. Typically my exercise was the ticket but now it's all about the diet. Sorry for the bad news... I just turned 48 and last year was when I really noticed my pants no longer fit and same problem with the thighs... it's very frustrating.
Exactly the same. Food is 90% of the equation for me. The good news is I no longer feel the need for super hard workouts. They don't work better than intermediate/moderate stuff and are actually counterproductive.
Old 10-27-16, 07:56 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

I am 65 and well past menopause. But when I was in your situation my doctor (who was a female) gave me some good advice. She told me not to even try to diet. When I lamented I was gaining weight and my clothes didn't fit she told me to buy a bigger size. She said don't try to lose now, just eat healthy and keep up regular exercise. You won't lose weight while your hormones are changing and you'll just get discouraged and you'll give up trying. She told me to wait until she told me I could diet. I went up two sizes and didn't like the way I looked but I did as she suggested. When she said, "now you can diet" after I was through menopause the weight came off easily. I'm grateful for her sage advice.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-16, 08:26 PM  
Orlita

Ugh -- this is me, too. Menopause started knocking, and my belly answered. I'm 52 now, so I hope soon I will be stabilized. It's all stretchy clothes for now. But I have been working too hard (sitting in office), and spending too much time sitting around on Facebook, etc., so I need to step it up with more walking, yoga, barre & meditation. I think those things + better sleep will take me past this irritating phase.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-16, 09:26 PM  
pricek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
I am 65 and well past menopause. But when I was in your situation my doctor (who was a female) gave me some good advice. She told me not to even try to diet. When I lamented I was gaining weight and my clothes didn't fit she told me to buy a bigger size. She said don't try to lose now, just eat healthy and keep up regular exercise. You won't lose weight while your hormones are changing and you'll just get discouraged and you'll give up trying. She told me to wait until she told me I could diet. I went up two sizes and didn't like the way I looked but I did as she suggested. When she said, "now you can diet" after I was through menopause the weight came off easily. I'm grateful for her sage advice.
This is great advice! I'm 50, peri-menopausal and have decided to do exactly that. I am watching my portions and just doing what feels good to my body. This to shall pass.
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-16, 09:50 PM  
momofcha

Love the advice. I'm in the same boat as the original poster

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-16, 10:49 PM  
videofit

Since we are starting the holiday temptation season maybe just try to maintain and not gain until Jan. 1.

Most people eat more than they think. Weigh and measure food and log calories. I've used FitDay for years but there are a lot of free online calorie sites.

Spend a week eating what you normally do to get a sense of your average daily calories. Then your new diet should deduct 500 per day. 500 per day x 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 lb fat.

Eat whatever you like but be aware sugar and salt cause bloating. Alcohol has calories! Also you want to get the most nutrition with fewer calories so that means less junk.

That's how I've always lost weight before and after menopause and thyroid meds. I've generally done the same exercise -- walking most days for half an hour and weights three times per week, every other day.

Good luck.

Tags
menopause