Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-15, 11:23 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
How did you rectify the thyroid fatigue? All tips welcome.

Thanks
I take thyroid meds and have my level checked at least twice a year. I felt better, more energetic, and lost some weight as soon as I got my TSH level under control.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 11:27 AM  
Orlita

I'm in peri and I do feel more fatigue -- though it may be more related to working too hard at my job lately. I also got terrible frozen shoulder, which is very common with menopause and is super important to recognize and address early (I didn't). My sleep is OK now but has had rough patches. I'm not taking any medications.

I teach barre and therapy ball massage, and I practice pilates, but my cardio has gone down the drain -- even walking -- and my belly is showing it. I'm very mindful with my nutrition, so this is frustrating.

But it's my intention to do more walking now that the brutal heat outside has lifted, and to increase my barre/pilates regimen, as well as yoga.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 11:35 AM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Walking, barre, Pilates. High intensity makes me gain weight and feel achy. If I don't do something, I feel more tired and don't sleep as well.

Honestly, food choices are more important than anything else right now. Things I have always been able to tolerate I can't deal with now, like iced coffee and chocolate.
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this experience, but I can no longer tolerate red wine. It gives me horrible night sweats and affects my sleep. I've been fine tuning my diet (I need to lose some weight, never had that problem until now) and no longer look forward to hi impact workouts like I used to, have switched to lower impact. I also try to get more walking in as well since that is always enjoyable for me. I've also heard that soy is beneficial at this time in life..
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 12:09 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I can be sensitive to wine too, it triggers migraines. I have heard mixed messages about soy, mainly because most soy products like soy milk and tofu are highly processed. I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, that tempeh and miso are good.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 01:01 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
I can be sensitive to wine too, it triggers migraines. I have heard mixed messages about soy, mainly because most soy products like soy milk and tofu are highly processed. I understand, and correct me if I am wrong, that tempeh and miso are good.
I am not a wine drinker but know others who are bothered by it. And yes, I have heard processing soy is a problem. So much conflicting information-calcium supplements are another one that now getting more of a bad rap. Makes it hard to know what to do.
Old 08-30-15, 01:01 PM  
Castella

I was going to post about this...when I had the energy

I've been in perimenopause for 8 years (maybe more)? Until a year ago, I still had energy and put a lot into my workouts. Something has really changed in the last year. I've lost strength, I don't have energy, and frankly I FEEL old. And yes, I weigh more than I've ever weighed before (but my clothes fit and I just don't care).

I'm still doing kettlebells, but now I'm really using the rests built into the workouts. I can't do as many pushups and it feels like death when I do them. I've put traditional weight workouts on hold, due to what I think is tennis elbow although it may start from the shoulder. I got a band at Walgreens for the tennis elbow, but it smells toxic and airing it doesn't help. Side question--does anyone know of brands of elbow/knee bands that don't smell like poison?

I still walk a lot and still do my workouts, but with less enthusiasm since it feels more like going through the motions than working towards something (and the returns are diminished). Maybe I'm moving closer to menopause although everything is still regular.

Work and life and family are all stress producing, but I find moments of enjoyment and take care of myself. I've been trying new DVDs with the idea of changing things up. My elbow thing is a minor complaint, but it's enough to make things that were easy before difficult now.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 01:19 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Stress is a big issue too...I'm still coming to terms with my mother's death earlier this year, as well as my sister and brother-in-law's divorce and my nephew's (their son's) struggles with addiction.

Peri/menopause + hypothyroidism + stress = what a winning combination

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 01:42 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Stress is a big issue too...I'm still coming to terms with my mother's death earlier this year, as well as my sister and brother-in-law's divorce and my nephew's (their son's) struggles with addiction.

Peri/menopause + hypothyroidism + stress = what a winning combination
Been there, done that, and continuing to do that. I am also hypothyroid.

I have struggled with the loss of my parents. Once I start feeling somewhat better, something else major happens, a friend passes away, another friend is diagnosed with cancer, another one has a stroke, etc. It's like all the stress is triggered all over again, to the point that I have felt like I had PTSD.

I have found the guided meditations from Belleruth Naparstek to help with this stress and I truly feel that I have made some progress.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 02:02 PM  
cpcathy

I agree about stress. I dealt with my DH's yearlong unemployment (that recently ended), frankly, sleep was the only way to really shut out the pain.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-15, 02:47 PM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

I'm 59 so I am deep into menopause and insomnia. I love the ART Method, Jessica Smith, KCM and light Kettlebells. Kickboxing is a blast but I find that anymore than 45 minutes of intense exercise my body just shuts down for 2 or 3 days afterward. I have more issues than that but meno has really kicked my behind. I'm managing the weight but it's REALLY HARD. There are days when I actually picture pizza and cheeseburgers in my mind all day long and I just give in to stop the cravings. I haven't had the cravings that bad since my pregnancies. And there is no way I will give up my sweets, I'm just picky as to what I eat but I refuse to give them up.
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause