Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-07-14, 11:05 AM  
momofcha

Firm Fans - talk to me about Firm Express

Ok, so I started working out at home what feels like one million years ago, to the Firm. FF to now and I have branched out in a million different directions. I'm curious about the Firm express set.... What are the likes/dislikes on this program....

thanks!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 01:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

the tag search system for the following tags are pretty comprehensive:

firm express
firm express results
firm express thin in 30
firm express yoga

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 03:53 PM  
Mandy

Kelsie's are more kickboxing and lower impact.
Shorter workouts always a plus
Alison has some kettlebell swing moves
Alison's music is great
Set is bright and cheerful
I like the outfits
I like Alison and Kelsie the best.
Firm instructors sweating...nice plus
There is modifier
Countdown clock

Dislikes:
I don't understand the interval type training. It didn't get my heartrate high enough for a rest its not Tabata. It's not like Turbo Fire fire drills or Cathe's Tabata or HiiT...so I consider the bursts more intense aerobics for me.
Too high impact...so I follow modifier
There are some parts that go down on the knees and come back up...NO!
Rebekah whoo's a lot
Emily talks nonstop
Alison says, "ah" a lot
Some of the choreography is thrown at you so repetition is needed obviously.
Only 1 size weight used so I see it as aerobic intensifiers more than for strength gain.

I like this series better than the WAVE or Zip Trainer series.
Old 11-07-14, 04:06 PM  
bubbles76

I have just started the rotation but here are my impressions so far:
  • These are no dread workouts! If I am short on time, I can do 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening and still feel like I got a decent workout
  • I can go pretty heavy with the Cycles 1, 2, and 3 Sculpt workouts. Well, heavier than they call for. I usually use 12 and 15 pound pair of dumbbells.
  • So far, I don't feel that the chest or biceps are worked hard enough, so I tack on extra pushups. But, I like working chest, back, and biased so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about However, I don't feel exhausted or wrung out either, which is a good feeling.
  • The cardio is pretty fun and it does get me sweaty.
  • Emily...bless her heart. She talks so much and so fast it's like she's getting paid by the word. On top of that, she says very unmotivating things like "don't cheat" and "don't be lazy", which to me is different than saying "don't cheat yourself" and "keep going even if you are tired". If she were the only lead, I would chuck this in the garbage. I would not subject another VFer to her.
  • I am hoping to get stronger and increase my endurance, but even if I maintain it's still a good thing.
  • The bursts aren't really "bursts". They are quite doable and can be modified. But you better modify on your own, as the modifers DO NOT modify.

I chose this series because I was starting to dread some of my long, intense workouts (Cathe and Amy Bento). I'm liking these so far.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 04:47 PM  
dnna

I really enjoy the Firm Express. When I first started - wow- it was hard. Now I have the workouts memorized and can move right along. I think there is a learning curve, and don't be afraid to modify.
I enjoy Emily's workout the most, she is an amazing non verbal cuer. Rebekkah is very screechy- makes Kathy Smith look low key. I have to be in the mood to do those. kelsi and Allison are great.
I use these a lot but not as a rotation, as an add on or very quick, I have no time today workout.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 04:54 PM  
momofcha

These are good tips - thank you.

Mandy - you have quite a list of dislikes....I don't like high impact and not sure about the "tabata bursts"....

hmm

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-14, 08:49 PM  
dnna

I do all the bursts low impact. There are a few burst moves that I like - and I grab my fitstiks or weights and do those moves -not the move being shown. as long as I am working hard for those 8 seconds- I don't think it matters what move you are doing. I like to do skaters, fast feet- squat kicks-
I modify it and still get a good burn.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 01:15 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Dislikes:
Emily talks nonstop
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I have just started the rotation but here are my impressions so far:
[*]Emily...bless her heart. She talks so much and so fast it's like she's getting paid by the word.
I would not subject another VFer to her.
I agree. I don't do Emily's workouts after one attempt. Too bad she leads a Zip trainer dvd I bought from Amazon.
I think I am at a stage where too much talking stresses me.

ETA:
My favorite workouts in FE are those lead by Kelsie. I like her the best.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 07:13 AM  
bubbles76

The thing is, I LIKE the chatty instructors. I still hope to reacquire Angie Miller's Strength and Core Fusion. We all know she chats it up in that one! But it was the combination of what Emily was saying with how fast she says it (and let's not forget how much) that really grated me. Too bad, because she is the best non-verbal cuer, has tons of energy, and is cute as a button. I just chalk it up to her having two venti Starbucks double espressos before filming.

ETA: Another thing I noticed is that this series (at least what I've tried) will REALLY work your lower body!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 07:50 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I won't do any workout with Emily in it now. My reaction was pretty bad when she said "don't be lazy". The manner in which it was said was very condescending and deflating and took the wind out of my workout sails. My thoughts at the time were "I'll have you know that I have been showing up for workouts since probably before you were born Miz Emily......!" I JoniOed it. The other workouts and instructors I found to be ok just not very FIRMish.
With Angie Miller and chatty, I had never seen the like before with chatting non stop, cueing, working out and breathing all at the same time! Love it!!

Last edited by seagreen01; 11-08-14 at 08:15 AM. Reason: on reflection to soften my harsh comments.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm express, firm express results, firm express thin in 30