Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-14, 12:41 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Behind the scenes of the Firm Express infomercial

Interesting...it's what many of us suspected:
http://www.cracked.com/article_21211...-products.html

Quote:
none of us were allowed to follow the actual DVDs we were selling. The very first time I watched any of the exercise DVDs was six hours before the final "after" interview with our producer.

The real plan was for us to work out three to six hours per day for a month. They also put us on a strict diet (the DVD emphasized that you didn't have to diet at all, but this is the real world), locking us down to 1,000 calories a day

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 01:01 PM  
Messe

I may be missing something, but where does it say that she was in the Firm Express infomercial?

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 01:04 PM  
Susan

I don't believe this story, particularly if it's about the Firm infomercials.

At least a few VFers have appeared in their infomercials in the past, and they never mentioned having that kind of horrible experience. If fact, they seemed very positive about it.

I'm not buying the story.
Old 05-13-14, 01:07 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
I may be missing something, but where does it say that she was in the Firm Express infomercial?
It doesn't. The thread title should be changed.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 02:09 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messe View Post
Page 2.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 02:17 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Page 2.
Skimmed page 2, then did a word search on firm - didn't find it. Maybe it's in the 900+ comments. Don't plan to wade through those. And I'm not sure what the point of stirring sh!t about such an old (relatively speaking) product is anyway.

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 02:18 PM  
LoveVA

I must be missing it, also, as I still don't see it mentioned.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 03:08 PM  
raeven

I don't that this person specifically mentioned being in a firm infomercial either. Only talking about them in general, and using random pictures. Perhaps I'm missing something.
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 03:31 PM  
Jane1721

I also don't see where she said she was in a Firm infomercial, they just used a Firm Express graphic, right under a Sensa graphic...so are we supposed to conclude she was in an infomercial for both products? Or are those just examples of products with weight loss claims?

Regardless, I totally buy that infomercial participants are encouraged to look as bad as possible in the before pictures and that they may have followed a company's prior exercise system (as opposed to the one they're advertising). But the crazy Biggest Loser type stuff? I'm not convinced.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 04:18 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I remember seeing a demonstration online or on TV once - showing 'before' and 'after' pictures taken moments apart. The person looked a lot different. The point was that clothing, posture, etc. can make a big difference and that various techniques like that are used to promote all kinds of products.

I'm not saying that has anything to do with this thread, but I'm just sayin'. I haven't even read the article or looked at pictures yet. Off to do that now.

ETA now that I've read the article: I know a few people who have been in Firm (including Firm Express) and other infomercials, and they have no horror stories. Isn't there something in The Firm scripts that say that the participants haven't used the infomercial product?

I think the Firm Express was just an example of infomercials making claims. And did the writer actually mean that Emily looks the same as the woman in the Sensa graphic? Seriously? I've seen Emily in the flesh and she actually looks like that - as anyone who has done her workouts knows.

I guess I can believe that this all happened, but I sincerely doubt it was for a Firm infomercial.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm, firm express