Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-11, 05:08 PM  
RASCalif

Rip:60 Installation Tips

First time on this forum. Because Rip:60 is so new this is the only place where one can find actual real-use reviews. Based on the feedback here I ordered mine on Mon. and got it on Fri. (not sure why others were being told it was backordered). I agree with Buzzer's comments: overall a good program but some minor negatives. Since a lot has already been discussed about the program itself, I thought I'd cover the installation lessons learned.

One thing I found is that if you hang it from the door you really are limited in what you can do. In geometry terms, you're forming a right triangle (with the straps as the hypotenuse) and you'll just keep banging against the door. If you hang it from the ceiling you get an equilateral triangle (sort of) and hence much more freedom of movement. Rather than buying the $35 ceiling bracket they offer, I ended up buying an 89 cent heavy-duty hook lag bolt and $3 carabiner from Lowe's to attach it from a stud in the ceiling:

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	4527
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	2952

Because my home gym is fairly small (14 x 12) and already has a lot of equipment, I'm limited to about an 8 x 4 area of free movement:

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	2088
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2951

It's enough to do the workouts, but hanging the straps from the full length of the black strap increases the need for more workout space (longer hypotenuse) and causes me to bump up against the equipment. Also found that using the entire length of the black strap gives me less flexibility with adjusting the height of the handles, since even at it's shortest adjustment the handles still hang fairly low:

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	2334
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	2950

So I'm going to have to shorten the length of the straps by tying a knot and hooking it to the carabiner. One other thing, in the exercises sometimes Strom says "face the anchor" and other times "face away from the anchor." The problem is that if I'm facing away from the anchors, my back is turned to my TV and therefore I can't see the video while doing the exercise. Definitely irritating when, as others have said, you hear Strom say "Good job!" but that doesn't mean the exercise is over.

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	2274
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2949

All that said, I'm through week 1 and I agree that so far I like the program. I've been working out with weights most of my life, and my goal is to get rid of the remaining 1" around my midsection. This is the first time I've used a "follow along" video, but I am enjoying it and would recommend the program.

Great forum and nice people! I'm glad to have found this site.
RASCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 06:09 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Welcome! Thanks for sharing your tips -- I know what you mean about the limited motion on the door, but... that's how I've done mine so far. And I can't really see my tv much at all so I just err on going over so as not to quit too early. I take a look at what they're doing and then run back to the door and get to it.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 06:29 PM  
Buzzer

Wow! It was a story with pictures! I love it!

I used my Rip:60 trainer looped over a piece of exercise equipment on Monday, and had the same problem of the black part being too long then. I considered buying a ceiling hook, but since I have a sloped ceiling it would involve me standing on a chair every time I wanted to hook it up. So, so far it's the door for me (but gives me a place to rest my feet when I get tired )

I'm glad you joined the forum! It's great to see you, and to have another Rip:60 convert!! It is a great program. My core is getting so much stronger, and the planks and swimmers etc on the trainer doesn't make me cringe anymore
I still haven't gotten past week 6, but they keep getting better and better, so I'm excited to!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 06:39 PM  
sammycakes

I am previewing the discs, and they never turn around - is that because you used a different kind of ceiling hook than they sell? Or are the anchors part of the straps?
sammycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 08:22 PM  
RASCalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycakes View Post
I am previewing the discs, and they never turn around - is that because you used a different kind of ceiling hook than they sell? Or are the anchors part of the straps?
I'm only on disc 1, and a few times Strom references your position relative to the anchor, which I'm assuming means the door. Generally speaking, exercises that involve pushing have you facing away from the anchor, while those involving pulling have you facing it. On the video they never turn around because the anchor appears to be directly above them, so it's a moot point.
Old 03-27-11, 10:00 PM  
pattyd0319

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASCalif View Post
Welcome, great pics and feedback. I do find the straps kind of long too. If they were shorter, I could loop them over the clothing rod in my closet. I don't quite trust the door and am thinking of the possibilities.

You are all set for lots of stuff with all those weights and kettlebells. You will fit in well here. Be careful, before you know it, you will posting about P90x, Supreme 90 and some of the more popular kettlebell dvds.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 10:10 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASCalif View Post

Welcome to VF!! Great post about the installation tips! BTW....your pictures are awesome! What a great gym
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 10:59 PM  
RASCalif

Thanks everyone. I just spent most of today reading through all the great threads about the various fitness programs available. I got so motivated that I went and did an extra session of kettlebell core workout.

I think I'm going to like it here.
Old 03-27-11, 11:10 PM  
Buzzer

RASCalif: don't look into Rushfit. Just don't do it.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 11:12 PM  
bee1forfitness

Welcome Ray, do you use Kbell workout videos or written workouts??, if you're using video's which ones are you using, if written where are you getting them from, thanks in advance
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door anchor, rip:60, suspension trainer