Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-10, 10:34 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Peak 10 Cardio Strength

I tried out Peak 10 Cardio Strength this morning and here are my thoughts. *I used a set of 5 lb. and 10 lb. dumbbells.

Pros:
Some fun "easy to follow" choreography
Nice "fresh" innovative functional core moves
Huge sweat factor/calorie burn
GREAT cooldown/stretch (I will probably use this after other workouts)

Cons:
No "real" warmup - you move right into weight work (even though they're light weights)
First weight interval with the warmup felt a little "off" and didn't flow well
Plank work in some of the intervals wasn't cued well....hard to look at TV and follow along

Overall review: two thumbs up! I liked the workout once I got past the warmup. It moved really fast (sometimes too fast) and you really didn't have a chance to catch your breath and sip some water after each "Peak" but I got used to it. Kelly Coffey-Meyers Circuit Burn has a much less frantic pace and I like that better.

My Polar F11 heartrate monitor stats:
Calories burned: 689
Percentage fat: 35%
Max heartrate: 183 bpm
Avg heartrate: 149 bpm
Time in Hard Zone: 45 minutes

I'll try to post a breakdown later (listing the moves in each interval). It's actually much higher impact than I thought it would be but the impact is "fun" and the peak is only 30 seconds of all out high impact. HTH.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 11:22 AM  
Susanq

Great thanks for the thorough review Kathy. Hope Mary has these dvds in stock soon, can't wait to try them.
Susanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 11:30 AM  
YogaGal

Mary's Facebook comment this morning:
"The Peak10 DVDs show that they are out for delivery today so I'll get them shipped today or tomorrow depending on what time they arrive."

Don't know why I'm excited (but I am). I'm trying to wait for the Thanksgiving sale. But I do like hearing how people like (or don't like) them.
Old 09-14-10, 12:45 PM  
ChrisS

Love this workout!

I did this one this morning and agree with Kathy's review. I really enjoyed this workout!
ChrisS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 02:16 PM  
gigi

I plan on giving this a go tomorrow!
Old 09-14-10, 03:46 PM  
BarbK
VF Supporter

I did Peak 10 Cardio Strength today also - WOW!!! that was tough.

I almost stopped after the 30 minute point (3 of 5 cycles) but Michelle says something re: they've been doing it for 8 weeks now...I'm glad I continued - the last cardio section wasn't nearly as hard.

I got confused on the 3 sets of mountain climbers then the jump to the side (hands)...I kept doing those jumps .... she says another set...(I didn't realize that the jump set was just 4 - and I'm doing 12 by now - and dying.... it's tough when the mountain climbers are recovery...lol

I thought the wt section was pretty much Michelle's trademark...although I used lighter wts here than her other DVDS.

I found the workout much tougher than Kelly's Circuit Burn.

Kathy, How many calories do you burn doing the full premix on Kelly's Circuit Burn?

Is anyone going to try an at home Peak 10 rotation? That was my plan, but I don't know if I'm ready... I still have to try the cardio one.
BarbK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 04:04 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Funny you should ask Barb, I actually listed my Polar F11 stats for the Circuit Burn full premix and Cathe's Cardio Blast on another thread:

KCM Circuit Burn - Combined workouts (59 min) premix
(used 10 lb. and 7 lb. dumbbells - followed KCM, no modifications)

Time: 58:32
Calories burned: 616
% burned from fat: 40%
Maximum heartrate: 169 bpm
Average heartrate: 143 bpm
Time in Hard zone: 41:02
Time in Moderate zone: 11:40
Time in Light zone: 4:59
(Calorie burn per minute - 10.53...my own calculation)

Cathe Circuit Blast
(used step w/4 risers on each side - 15 lb. and 10 lb. dumbbells - 6 lb. med ball - green dynaband)

Time: 45:01
Calories burned: 471
% burned from fat: 40%
Maximum heartrate: 172 bpm
Average heartrate: 143 bpm
Time in Hard zone: 29:28
Time in Moderate zone: 9:34
Time in Light zone: 5:25
(Calorie burn per minute - 10.47...my own calculation)

And here's the Peak 10 Cardio Strength again:
My Polar F11 heartrate monitor stats:
Calories burned: 689
Percentage fat: 35%
Max heartrate: 183 bpm
Avg heartrate: 149 bpm
Time in Hard Zone: 45 minutes

Peak 10 Cardio Strength is definitely the toughest but I think that's mainly because it's non-stop (and Cardio Blast is shorter). My maximum heartrate was definitely higher with this one too...I think it's because I knew I only had 30 seconds to reallly push it!

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 05:02 PM  
Denise R
Exchange Moderator

Dang, I only burned half the amount of calories you did for Cardio Strength.....Wonder what is up with that?!

I did get a good reading for the cardio workout but still not as high as you did on this one, wow! You are amazing! (and I was a sweaty mess from head to toe!)

Denise

"By far the most important application is those 18 inches between the table and your mouth. Your diet. Eat clean to get rid of fat." Robert Kennedy, Oxygen Magazine

"Having the body you want starts with loving the body you have." Mandy Ingber, Shape Magazine
Denise R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 05:37 PM  
magmolmacmom

I just finished this one. It was awesome. I burned 752 calories (I weigh more then most people that's probably why it seems high). I hope she makes more of these workouts!
Old 09-14-10, 06:31 PM  
Jade

I did both Cardio Interval Burn and Cardio strength and loved both of them. So glad that I pre-ordered the Peak 10 series-- I can easily say that it's one of the best pruchases I made this year!

The Cardio Strength is certainly more intense than KCM Circuit, and the Cardio one is probably comparable to Cathe's CCC. Also, as I am currently doing an Insanity rotation, I cannot help but to compare this set to Insanity. It's is not as tough as Insanity, but more doable and has a more friendly vibe. And as much as I enjoy the"high" feeling after completing an Insanity workout, I wouldn't say that I really look forward to seeing Shaun T every morning. However, after doing Michelle's Peak 10, I am so much looking forward to working out with her again!
Jade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
michelle dozois, peak 10, peak 10 cardio strength