Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-14, 07:02 AM  
Browneyedgirll78

Walking form

Good morning y'all!

I've been incorporating walking into my fitness routine and I wanted to hear from y'all about your walking form. I have found that when I really focus on holding the core in tight and tightening each glute muscle with each step I get a higher heart rate. Was wondering if y'all had any tips! Thanks!
Browneyedgirll78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 02:14 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I went to a ChiRunning mini-workshop with Danny Dreyer a few months ago. Eastern connections aside, it's a very core-focused method of working on form. We did a few little drills where we practiced walking with good posture and leading with our centers rather than heads or feet. Walking and running this way become more like controlled falling.

It's pretty complex, and there are day-long ChiRunning/walking workshops you can attend. In a nutshell though, my main takeaways from it were:

1. Focus on posture
2. Lead with your center
3. Be mindful and make adjustments as you go. For example, if your glute starts tightening up, think about your posture again and see if you can make a little adjustment in your stride, etc. to ease that tightness.

When I do this, I find I can walk and run quite a bit faster without it feeling like a lot of work.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 04:16 PM  
marya

Teresa Tapp of T-Tapp has some good form tips for walking, including: ribs up (which will bring the traps and lats into alignment and shoulders away from the ears); palms facing forward (preferably; or at least facing the sides of the body) to keep shoulders from pronating; no duck feet (pronated)--keeping weight on the last two toes will help to keep feet aligned with ankles/knees and "unducked".

Regular walking is heel to toe, but in indoor walking workouts it's more often toe-to-heel, which seems to be better for thigh-toning. I do a toe-to-heel stride when walking up hills, and my thighs have significantly thinned as a result.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 05:25 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
Teresa Tapp of T-Tapp has some good form tips for walking, including: ribs up (which will bring the traps and lats into alignment and shoulders away from the ears); palms facing forward (preferably; or at least facing the sides of the body) to keep shoulders from pronating; no duck feet (pronated)--keeping weight on the last two toes will help to keep feet aligned with ankles/knees and "unducked".
I opened up this thread to post this very thing, but marya beat me to it. Teresa Tapp transformed how I walk (and how I hold myself, and how I get out of a chair).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 06:56 PM  
flamingoo

What about your stride? Does it matter if it's longer or shorter? I feel I can go quicker with a shorter stride
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 07:32 PM  
MARIKA

Shorter stride is better. Shorter and quicker for optimum output!
Old 09-30-14, 08:39 PM  
Browneyedgirll78

Wow great insights ladies! Thanks! I am going to try the toe-to-heel tomorrow!
Browneyedgirll78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 09:29 PM  
horsemom2

My main focus is not to heel strike but land on the arch.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
walking