Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-14, 04:12 PM  
Negin

I used to be an esthetician and we were always told to avoid facial exercises. Regular massage, the right products, and a healthy diet - those are what matter the most. I can go on and on, but I don't want to bore others.
I'm 46 and now have a double chin . I'm on the fence about whether or not I should ignore the advice and start facial exercises. Paula Begoun (whose advice and products I love) is against them. I even emailed her once and they said that they're best avoided. Others say to avoid them.

http://www.paulaschoice-eu.com/learn/facial-exercises/

http://askanesthetician.wordpress.co...ssage-instead/

http://beautifulwithbrains.com/2012/...-bad-for-skin/
Old 09-30-14, 07:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittyPat View Post
There are many programs out there, and I've used a lot of them. They range from face yoga to heavy-duty resistance training to easy-breezy and lots in between (Carol Maggio's Facercise is very popular, for example). I still use a couple of moves I learned from Flex Effect (the heavy duty option which served me well for a few years) and Carolyn's Facial Fitness, which gave my lower face a more feminine look than FE. Oh, and the forehead one from Tom's free Shape Your Face program makes a huge improvement to opening up my face. I was surprised and delighted to find, though, that my best and easiest to attain results came from a lesser-known program developed by a kinesiologist called Face Works. Even after years of facial exercise, this one really lifted my cheeks and filled in under my eyes where there is so much less fat than when I was younger. It has really improved my jawline, lifted my mouth corners and diminished the "mean" wrinkle between my eyebrows. I wish I'd found this one a lot sooner, as it pulled everything together. Do I look 40 again at 58? Nah. But I don't feel at all bad about my neck, jawline, or nasolabial area. I have a pleasant expression when my face is at rest with no jowling or sad look. It's kind of like Classical Stretch for the face and neck. It seems too easy to work as well as it does, but it does.
Cathy, i really appreciated your post. Can you provide a ranking of the ones you mentioned in terms of effectiveness. I googled the Flex Effect one, and it's $75 - i wouldn't mind shelling it out if i had the ability to compare with the others you've tried.

thanks in advance. anyone else - please chime in.

EDITED TO ADD: i googled all of the ones you listed here, and found links. i'm still interested to hear more about these programs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 07:35 PM  
fitloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post

Here are my two favs, plus there are a lot of free facial exercises on youtube also.

http://www.amazon.com/Tal-Reinhart-F...acial+exercise

http://www.amazon.com/Face-Aerobics-...ef=pd_cp_mov_3

Enjoy!
I have the Tal Reinhart mentioned above. I was lucky to be able to watch entire video on YouTube before it was removed. I bought the DVD because I liked it so much.
I also like a few exercises from Tom's Shape Your Face. As Cathy mentioned, these are free on his site. Although I do see he now has a video too.

I'm 40 years old right now, I have some forehead wrinkles and sagging under the eyes. Whether the exercises will help me in the long run or have no effect whatsoever, I don't know. I came to the decision that I like the exercises and I try to do them on a semi-consistent basis. It's some me-time that I carve out and I find it peaceful. And kind of funny to watch myself make such silly faces in the mirror. I don't do them in front of hubby or the kids! LOL

I've seen Paula Begoun's advice against them but I take that with a grain of salt. Her beautypedia list is great for reviewing many products and I check it frequently, but her product line always make the "best of" list, naturally....
fitloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 08:57 PM  
violetblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Cathy, i really appreciated your post. Can you provide a ranking of the ones you mentioned in terms of effectiveness. I googled the Flex Effect one, and it's $75 - i wouldn't mind shelling it out if i had the ability to compare with the others you've tried.

thanks in advance. anyone else - please chime in.

EDITED TO ADD: i googled all of the ones you listed here, and found links. i'm still interested to hear more about these programs.
I've been doing the Faceworks program for a week and a half now and already seeing some results-- my eyes seem more opened up, and my lips are definitely plumper. I'm 30 with very youthful skin, but the structural changes I can already see are very encouraging So thanks, Cathy, for the suggestion!

I also like that compared to what I've seen of some other face exercise programs, Faceworks seems less aggressive-- Carolyn's Facial Fitness, for example, involves pulling and sliding the skin, which makes me nervous. Faceworks is more about lifting and contracting the face muscles.
violetblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-14, 10:54 PM  
Genevieve M

Hey - I am 57, and have avoided the double chin, jowls, nasal labial folds - all the joys of middle age - through facial exercises. I need to be more consistent, but it does work.

This is who I have used:
- Senta Runge - her original book from the 1970's was reprinted a few years back
- yoga face
- many you tube videos, including Jack LaLane (he was a true pioneer!)

I need to update my collection - FlexEffects, Ageless if You Date, Facial works.

Interested in seeing what other folks have to say.
Genevieve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 02:25 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have an interesting observation to share about aging faces. I used to train senior women, and when we finished our sessions, the women looked like they had a facelift. The reason was that the tension was gone from the face. I always finished every session with the women lying supine, and would do progressive relaxation, where I would have them imagine letting go of tension from the head down to the toes. It was really amazing how much better the face looked afterwards. Tension that we hold without even realizing it, ages our faces.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 09:16 AM  
PittyPat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I think I did sort of rate them in my original post. I started with Ageless if you Dare and quickly moved on to Flex Effect. FE built muscle for me, but I wasn't pleased with the final configuration. I had kind of a masculine look, especially my jawline. It was kind of like a lot of individual built muscles but my natural face. Carolyn's Facial Fitness improved the jawline some but I felt I still needed a lot of the FE exercises with it. I didn't find much advantage to doing the exercises lying down and I especially disliked her neck exercise. I downloaded the Tal Reinhart video as well; my impression was that if you're young enough it might be effective, but it was never going to do the job for me. Same with Carol Maggio. FaceWorks, with just 12 exercises, pulled everything together (or should I say apart) and I could tell a difference with my lips after the first time I tried the exercises. It's easy to learn, goes quickly and you can do most of it in the car if you want to. Honestly, even if FaceWorks took twice as long, I would still do it because I love the results I've gotten. My lower face has tightened and my upper face has lifted and built out in the prettiest possible way. It has definitely been the most effective for me. It is also the least expensive and the easiest to do. Go figure.

Fitboop, yes! Relaxing the face makes such a difference. Ellen Barrett is always encouraging people to smile or relax the face, another reason her workouts are so nice.
PittyPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 11:01 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I looked at the FaceWorks site. Why on earth don't they have a DVD? I always laugh at the prospect of looking 10 years younger. Wow! 58!!!!

That said, I have done facial exercise for years. These are my favorites: Face Aerobics, Flex Effect, Yamuna Face Rolling, and the funky five-minute face routine on the Life Lift breathing DVD (thank you to VFer cristinalatina).

I did facial exercises on VHS before DVDs were invented: Lindsay Wagner and Meredith MacRae each had an acupressure facelift.

I've also tried Yoga Face (book), Carol Maggio, and Cynthia Rowland.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-14, 03:43 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monterey vidiot View Post
I looked at the FaceWorks site. Why on earth don't they have a DVD?
ita.

they do have apps, though. i prefer to have a DVD. then you have it forever. but i guess you memorize the moves after doing it a lot.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-14, 01:14 PM  
lorajc

I just saw this "knock off" of my Ultra Renew on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Photon-Colors-...2359415&sr=1-5

I was on Amazon purchasing a new Sonic cleansing brush, wanted the new Forea Luna but it is $199 so I purchased the knock off one from this company, LifeCare, they seem to make knock off of some good products. They must be from China. I know a lot of Chinese companies are doing this and I can sort of tell by the Verbage that it is a foreign company....sorry, don't mean anything towards foreigners....but the verbage for the product is written "very simple" ....it doesn't even state that it is an Ultrasonic/galvanic device....but I swear this is a knock off of the exact device that I have only they have the "modes" written in simple explanations....aka firming mode, etc.

I bought their Sonic cleansing facial brush for my birthday....

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Silico...2359415&sr=1-4
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faceworks, facial exercises, facial machines, loose skin, yamuna, yamuna save your face