Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-13, 02:20 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

cardio for the choreography challenged ?

I tried one of my virgin dvds the other day & couldn't keep up. I'm more willing to try new/different things when it comes to strength but for cardio I like it simple. The ones I do most often are JMBR cardio discs, JM Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism, JM's old kickboxing dvd & Shaun T's Rockin Body set.

The one I did the other day was the Firm cardio overdrive (express workout). Not sure if I'm not good at fancy/fast choreography or if I just need to give it a few more times to learn the moves. In the mean time, can anyone suggest some cardio dvds for people who like simple circuit style cardio or easyish dance (I also have a few Richard Simmons but don't grab them so much)? I'm interested in both singles & sets. My cardio shelf is small & I'm getting bored. They don't have to be easy intensity just easy to follow along.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 02:39 PM  
Charmed

Leslie Sansone and Gilad are the only two cardio DVDs my two left feet can manage.
Charmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 02:46 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I don't like complex choreo either and would agree with Leslie and Gilad. I would also suggest the cardio workouts in Stephanie Huckabee's PowerFit series and I like Charlene Prickett's Stand Up & Be Some Body (hi/lo) & With Every Step. Both of Charlene's have 2 - 30 min segments I find them easy to follow as she cues well. I find Jenny Ford's hi/lo is pretty easy to follow as well.

[EDIT] - For circuits I like Chris Freytag's 3-2-1 Circuit, Kimberly Spreen's Amplify Your Strength From Within, Karen Voight's Burn & Firm and Ultimate Circuit Training.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 02:47 PM  
PrairieGem

I'm not crazy about dancy/complex choreography, either. I don't want to have to *think* when I work out, and having to slow down to remember steps and routines is not fun for me. So... I've never done a JM that had complex choreography; kickboxing anything tends to be pretty straightforward; all the Amy Dixons I have are really fun and easy to pick up--combos more than routines--and from my very brief exposure to Kelly Coffey Meyer, the workouts on "30MTF Cardio Blast" are relatively quick to pick up (the plyo program is super easy; it's just one move at a time. The step program has some routines but I had them down after about 3 times.) Oh! This one is surprising--the cardio workouts in Brazil Butt Lift are super easy to follow, but they're also really *interesting.* It's kind of the best of both worlds--fun moves, great intensity (Bum Bum), but pretty much no learning curve at all. Even the routines in "Cardio Axe" (a great choice for light days) are broken down so they're not hard to pick up at all, even though it's presented as a dance cardio-type workout.

I would stay away from Firms in general, as well as Michelle Dozois's Peak Fit workouts (SUCH a disappointment! I loved her 10 Minute Solution video, but the combos in Peak 10 Cardio were ridiculous--waaaaay too hard to follow when you're working that hard. *bigsigh.*) With that big exception, HIIT and tabata workouts generally tend to be really basic, too, so you can just concentrate on the effort, not a bunch of complicated footwork to keep track of.

Have fun!!
Old 07-20-13, 04:23 PM  
Candiceena

I will say that Cardio Overdrive was very hard for me at first. But then I grew to love it. It's the easiest dance-style cardio I have found. So if you feel like you might like it once you learned the moves, I would give it about 3-4 more tries.

What helps me with the dancier FIRM cardios is by focusing on learning the leg part first and then once I get that down, I try to learn the arms. HTH.
Old 07-20-13, 04:44 PM  
BigBadBetty

I can't do complex choreography. I really like Jessica Smith's workouts: both DVD and YouTube. Someone else mentioned Kelly Coffey-Meyer Cardio Blast. I just got that one. I did Athletic Step workout from that DVD. It was at the my limit for choreography, but I liked it. I will need to do a few times before I get it down.

I find some of the oldies like Kathy Smith, Jane Fonda, Tamilee Webb seem to have less choreography. If you can look past dated outfits and hair, the cardio still works.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 04:59 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea Gilad had any pure cardio. And Brazil Butt Lift has been on my buy one day list for awhile but I was a little worried it'd have complicated moves. Glad to hear it sounds easy.

This was my first Firm dvd. I actually jumped the gun & bought four of them so I could maybe one day try the rotation calendar on their web site. I might give it a try a few more times before trading all of them. I just get so frustrated with the learning process because I don't feel like I'm getting as good a workout till I get it down.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 05:25 PM  
Tugger31

I would check out clips of

Anni Mairs Cardio Force (uses a step, but choreography is simple)
Anni Mairs Fierce Force (no step)

Cathe's LIS Afterburn
Cathe's LIS Cadio Supersets

Mindy Mylrea's new Intensity Overload--No Equipment Required

I categorize all those as my good cardio but no brain power required workouts.

I've often try to learn choreography on my "rest" days, so no stress when I feel like I'm not getting in a good workout when I mess up!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockin body, rockin' body