Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-11, 08:36 AM  
Sophie

my PT timeline was a bit like Kath's, too. Initial evaluation, then some exercises. Following week, assess improvement, add more exercises. Then every two weeks, till I was sent on my own. They did send me off on my own a little earlier - my PT (and the kinesiologist) are actually friends of mine, and since I have a kines/yoga background and able to use the info they gave me, my actual treatment didn't last too long. I did like going there for the physical manipulation and acupuncture (in fact I should try to squeeze in time for an acupuncture tuneup).

But it was crucial for them to figure out where the imbalances lay.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 09:45 AM  
Lurdes
VF Supporter

Be careful with the Debbie Siebers / Slim Series versions of the lying quad exercises. They also include the move where you lie back with both legs bent and then straighten and bend one of the legs. This sort of mimics the leg extension move, especially with ankle weights on, and thus has many of the same risks. The safer way to do the exercise is with the leg maintained in almost straight (not locked) position.

Lurdes
Lurdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 10:30 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I was diagnosed with patellofemoral knee pain and ITB syndrome. I was prescribed 12 weeks of PT, twice per week. I only went for five weeks because a) I had learned the exercises and b) going there aggravated my claustrophobia and c) our insurance sucks. They had me do exercises for the vastus medialis, plus the usual PT routines.

There seems to be some controversy regarding focusing on the vastus medailis versus total quad strengthening.

Two DVDs I've been using a lot are Gaiam's Strong Knees and Margaret Richard's Getting Better. The Margaret one has a floor weighted straight-leg quad move which you can do at an angle to focus on the vastus medialis. Plus killer adductor, abductor and hamstring floor work.

Jill's Kneehab made my knees hurt more. I put that one aside for now.

I also have to do foam roller work on the ITB regularly. Plus, I ice my knees regularly and after any workouts.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 11:24 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
There seems to be some controversy regarding focusing on the vastus medailis versus total quad strengthening.
Surely it's not either/or though, is it? I can certainly see situations where both targeted and total work would be applicable (and I still did general quad work, myself).
Quote:
Jill's Kneehab made my knees hurt more. I put that one aside for now.
we've been talking about that one on yoga X trainers and the general feeling is that Strong Knees seems better for recently injured/acute issues (or just a greater degree of pain) and Jill's Kneehab is better as a followup, or prehab.

I do like Kneehab anyway, though.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 08:56 PM  
Inchworm

Didn't get to Doc or my own PT, however, I managed to see someone else's PT and asked them about the problems I'm having. He actually took a couple of minutes and asked what I've been doing and what problems I've had and then he felt the sides of my legs, beside quads and said the IT bands are pretty tight and that could also be contributing to the problems. I will eventually get to the doc and maybe I'll get an MRI and maybe I can handle ONCE a week PT, money so tight and copays went up, so I have neglected myself.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions, I'll let you know how things go. In the meantime, please keep the suggestions coming...

Kelly
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 02:43 PM  
Castella

Ha! I've been thinking about this thread and your post answered some of the questions I have, mainly, what could I reasonably expect from a physical therapist in terms of specialized treatment. I was wondering what is typically done to determine whether the problem is a muscular imbalance, or related to ligaments or bone structure or whatever else may come into play. And I was curious about just how one goes about "diagnosing" a muscle imbalance, especially when you are looking at smaller muscles.

Whenever I've gone to a doctor, I've gotten a canned type "it's probably this so A or B" answer where A is, do this series of exercises, and B is, suck it up, there's nothing you can do about it. I'm familiar with the PT that is often done for patients in stroke rehabilitation, but not so much sports injury.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denise beatty, getting better, knee, knee issues, knee pain, knees, patellofemoral, quads, strong knees, vastus medialis