Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-19-09, 04:22 PM  
ldy_solana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundari View Post
Its "Pilates Perfect Body" I think.
not to take away from the thread but is this the same suzanne as in the lotte berk videos? i know in lotte berk its suzanne cook but it looks and sounds just like her.

i saw the clip for pilates perfect and i think my wish list just grew LOL

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 05:47 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldy_solana View Post
not to take away from the thread but is this the same suzanne as in the lotte berk videos? i know in lotte berk its suzanne cook but it looks and sounds just like her.

i saw the clip for pilates perfect and i think my wish list just grew LOL

kassia
bowen is suzanne's married name. it is the same person!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 05:52 PM  
ldy_solana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
bowen is suzanne's married name. it is the same person!
thanks! i like her in lotte berk abs so i might have to pick this one up too.

kassia
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 07:50 AM  
FitForever

Thanks for all of your responses!

I'm not sure that Barre workouts would be enough either. Cardio is important - for your heart & for weight loss! I am a pear so all of my weight settles down below. Right now I am alternating Leslie & Fluidity. So far, so good. I am sore, so something is working! I am planning to up my workouts once the kiddies are back in school.

I am also working on my diet. I am a consistent exerciser, yet I'm not losing any weight or inches... in fact my clothes are tighter because I eat too much ! As someone said earlier, calories do matter, even if you are eating clean. That is so true! I don't eat really bad, just too much! I am trying to be really conscious of what I put in my mouth & if I am REALLY hungry. So far I am down 5#. My clothes aren't looser yet, but I do feel better .

Thanks again - I always get really useful advice from you guys. Now I'll have to remember everything next week while I am on vacation. I'm taking my bike, so if I keep my eating in check I'll be fine.
FitForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 09:07 AM  
Vanity68

I have been doing bar workouts since january and lost 35 pounds..I cut my portions and added protein..my cardio is mainly stair climbing 35 min 5 days a week and then the bar methods about 4 days a week...i lost it steadily and quickly...never did I have such great results..
Old 08-20-09, 09:55 AM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity68 View Post
I have been doing bar workouts since january and lost 35 pounds..I cut my portions and added protein..my cardio is mainly stair climbing 35 min 5 days a week and then the bar methods about 4 days a week...i lost it steadily and quickly...never did I have such great results..
WONDERFUL results!!

Still, if the stair climbing and portion cutting and fueling switch-up were all done at approx the same time, one can't really determine how much the barre had to do with those results, you know? The D*** and cardio alone could have accomplished that.

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 10:02 AM  
gianni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity68 View Post
That's excellent!! Great for you. Always an inspiration to hear great results!! Keep up the good work.
gianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 10:19 AM  
ssgilby

Lydia - You asked about barre work for the upper body. For me, I've had excellent results in terms of toning/definition/sculpting (whatever you want to call it) using low weight/high rep type barre work exercises. Then again, I am a very hard gainer when it comes to muscle mass, and I think these type of exercises just work better for me than traditional higher weight/lower rep exercises. My arms look way better now than they did after two rounds of P90X! Not all barre work does it for me though. I'm not a fan of a lot of barre work for the UB. I've discovered a couple of ways to use barre work to my advantage -

For one, by doing a combination of Tracy Anderson's upper body work (the unweighted series followed by the short series with light weights in her Mat Workout DVD is incredible) and the upper body stuff from Squeeze Stronger, my arms look fabulous! I think the key is the combination of the two. With the UB set from Squeeze Stronger I use heavier weights - well, 5# for most of it, which is "heavy" by Tracy Anderson's standards. LOL! I don't know, something about the combination is killer for me. When I'm using those vids, I try to get in at least two sessions of each a week. I firmly believe that all the different rotations and the extremely high amount of reps in Tracy Anderson's stuff really shape my arms. If she wasn't such a ditz, I'd call her a genius!

Other barre work UB segments I like are the 12-min. totally killer UB bonus section from Cardio Barre Advanced (great workout but not real thorough as it doesn't do anything for the chest and back) and the UB work from the original Squeeze, which is very short, but intense.

The other method I've used is doing UB barre type work almost every day. The session can be short, but I try to do them most days. Again I use any of Tracy Anderson's stuff (her A-List Arms workout is very nice and not too long, as is the UB stuff from her "People" magazine workout), Cardio Barre, the Squeezes. On the days I don't do a barre w/o for the UB, I do a Leslie video using handweights the entire time (anywhere from 2# to 5#). I modify what Leslie's doing with the upper body to account for the weight I'm holding. I love doing Leslies this way. Holding weights gives the UB a great long workout and it ups the cardio factor.
Old 08-20-09, 10:22 AM  
ssgilby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~ View Post
WONDERFUL results!!

Still, if the stair climbing and portion cutting and fueling switch-up were all done at approx the same time, one can't really determine how much the barre had to do with those results, you know? The D*** and cardio alone could have accomplished that.
Red - I think what the barre work did for her is tighten her up, pull her in, reduce inches. Barre work seems to be known for that. Had she been doing traditional heavier weight lifting, she may have actually gained inches and pounds. My guess is the cardio and diet contributed the most to her weight loss and the barre work contributed to the slimming and toning results she achieved.

Vanity - Great results! Kudos to you!!
Old 08-20-09, 10:47 AM  
mj476

Shelley - I could have written your post. I also didn't get the definition after doing P90X twice but have seen it since I've started doing low weight/higher rep workouts like Slim Series and various barre workouts. I just did Ultimate Advanced Cardio Barre today for the first time and really felt everything working. I started with 2# for upper body, went to 3s and then had to go back down to 2s but was still feeling it. My body really feels like it has tightened up even though I've hardly lost any weight. Now that I'm in my mid-forties, I think my body needs more circuit/cardio/light weight/higher rep workouts. For Firm It Up, I had to put on 5# ankle weights and still really wasn't feeling much of anything. But doing Cardio Barre today, I felt everything working. I also did the Power Thighs segment which was killer.

As far as burning calories, I burned 281 today doing the main workout and 62 doing the power thigh segment. My HR stayed up for most of the workout. I guess bar workouts could help you tighten up and maintain your weight but diet is still key in weight loss.

Marcy

Tags
stairs