Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-08-20, 01:41 AM  
YogaGal

I’ve had a busy week working on projects around the house, doing some grocery shopping, and helping DH with eBay. I’ve been working out with Jessica Smith most days and getting in just a bit, but not enough, yoga.

Paine: It sounds crazy right now, but a big reason for us moving to Arizona was for the weather. We didn’t like the ice and gray skies in winter, bad storms in spring, and hot humid summers. We also wanted to be closer to family. Sorry about your sleep problems. I think with the stresses of the pandemic, you have a lot of company with sleep difficulties. Great idea to use that corn cooking water for drinking or broth. We used to have a cat who liked lick the corn cobs after we finished eating on them.

Sandra: Glad that your back is doing better. Hope your toe gets better as you ease up on walking. Sounds like a good excuse to get a new pair of walking shoes, so I hope you can find a store that works out. I am really craving some cooler temperatures; I’ll settle for highs in the 90’s at this point, and I like heat.

Beth: Yes, It has been SO HOT here this summer. Hottest July on record. Phoenix will soon set a record for most days over 110. The average number is 19 with the record at 33 set in 12011. We are now at 32, but will tie and then break that record in the coming week. I also find remote work stressful in different ways. It is hard to work without colleagues nearby for work support and camaraderie. Having a spouse nearby who is asking questions or wanting to eat can also be a distraction. There are a few advantages though, such as not commuting and not having to get dressed and coiffed for work. You had a nice mix last week of different yoga practices.

cyana I love the idea of a down dog to cobra move! I’ve often done down dog to chaturanga, but I like adding that extra bend up into cobra. Hope your sleep improves soon.

Garrie: Making plans for easier workouts during hectic work weeks makes sense. I almost did the strength circuit from Jessica’s Strength & Balance recently, but opted for something else that day. I do want to do both soon. Nice that you are getting to teach some fitness classes again!

Anny: Both of your jobs sound like very challenging, but rewarding work. Please send any unwanted cold weather to Arizona before we melt! I’m just staying indoors pretty much and miss getting to take outdoor walks or bike rides.

Linda:Glad you like seeing my cats on IG. I haven’t posted much there lately, but perhaps I’ll get more up of Mr. Zippy. Sorry to hear about your health problems. Take good care of yourself and let your man care for you when he is there. Pets to Miss Meow.
Old 08-08-20, 10:40 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

The Bar Method Supersculpting 1 (Upper Body; Calves & Thighs; Pretzel)

Cyana, that's a funny news clip!

Beth, if your governor extended the work-from-home order to October 2nd, I don't understand how some places are able to phase people back in.

Carolyn, I completely understand moving to another state because of weather. That's one big reason I wanted to move to California. Six months of snow and winter darkness (5 hours of daylight at winter solstice) was difficult for me.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-20, 12:41 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine, it is confusing, but I probably didn't say it right. For state employees, the governor initiated what has been called a "pilot" telecommuting policy with the unions. The dates keep getting extended--it was 2 weeks when the pandemic started, then through mid-April, then through the end of the semester in May. They've extended several times over the summer as well, and this is the current information from HR:
Quote:
SUNY Geneseo will continue to encourage the use of the telecommuting policy, where appropriate, through October 2nd, in an effort to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Concurrently, we are planning for the phased return (throughout the summer) of our employees who are essential in serving our students.
But yes, everyone is confused! There is also the issue of who is "essential"--everyone in our department as deemed "essential" for certain emergencies, but is 5 months an emergency?

Carolyn, you know I like the heat, but I'd probably be feeling a bit hot if I were out your way this summer. I feel exactly the same was as you regarding working from home having different stressors. In some ways it's even harder to have work-life balance! I do like not having to get up as early though.

I went to a nice outdoor yoga class this morning. After, I was planning to go for a bike ride, but my back wheel has a flat. It must have been something that developed during my last ride a few weeks ago. I doubt I'll get myself out to a bike shop right now, so that's probably it for my bike riding this summer.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-20, 01:44 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Beth, your governor has done a great job with the pandemic in New York so far.
My DH would have that bike tire fixed the same day he found it flat! It's a matter of how much you want to ride the bike and for him it's very high priority.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-20, 02:09 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine your DH is a much more dedicated bike rider than I am! Also, since my new(ish, almost 2 years now) car has a smaller hatchback than the old one, I can't fit the bike in the car. I do think I can probably take the front wheel off, but with the pandemic and everything else, I'll probably just wait until next summer.

And yes, our governor has done a very good job...I have less confidence in the college.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-20, 05:13 PM  
Anny

Paine I can understand finding winter difficult with that much snow and limited sunlight at winter solstice. One of my sons lived in London for six months including winter and said that he loved London (as I do!) but it was sad when you went to work in the morning it was dark, and you went home in the dark and you missed any day time sun.

Beth it sounds like you have really been enjoying your outdoor yoga classes.

Yesterday I did two miles from Leslie’s Walk Away the Pounds Express and an outdoor short walk.