Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-17, 09:48 AM  
T2B

Hi,

Welcome Back! I can vouch for Core de Force. Jericho & Joel are excellent together. Love them both. And there's a modifier.

To you other sneaky peeps - I just ordered Katami 4x4.

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 09:55 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Welcome back!
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 10:38 AM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
Wh names their child Millionaire anyway?
Maybe they were hoping for a self-fulfilling prophecy?

...and welcome back Blackadar.
Crescent Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 11:05 AM  
Jags

In addition to the new and improved P90, Tony also has 22 Minute Hard Corp. Although 'hard' in the title coupled with no warmup or cooldown may not be beginner friendly. His p90x3 is beginner-ish friendly, and he exhibits both his humor and his girlfriend (now wife). They clock in at around 30 minutes, use less equipment and you can progress into the program without outgrowing it.

The price of Beachbody sets have come down, some are quite budget friendly.

Lisa C mentioned Les Mills on Demand. If you are a Roku/Smart TV user you can sample Beachbody systems on Beachbody On Demand for 30 days - free. Then it's about $9 a month.

Dutchgirl mentioned Metashred etal, from Men's Health. BJ Gaddour has a sense of humor too, but like Millionaire Hoy his definition of beginner may differ than ours.

In your absence, VF-ers have also set up a Facebook group where we can buy/sell dvds.

Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 04:55 PM  
CHAPLYN61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Wow! Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. I haven't had time to analyze them all but here's some initial feedback and questions:

1. Remember that I have the coordination of Chevy Chase playing Gerald Ford. While I have smartly put most of the breakables out of reach, there are large plate glass doors on the back of my house in FL that I'd like not to tumble through Thus workouts like Cathe's ICE are entirely out...I guarantee I'd find a way to launch myself from the step into the middle of the back yard.

2. What's the difference between the old P90 and the new one from an actual moves standpoint (not the production values)? I have the very old ones still and I did them so much I can put on headphones and not listen/watch Tony at all....or laugh at the form of Lisa trying to throw a punch.

3. I'm not entirely keen on giving BeachBody another $100 unless it's the most awesome workout ever. They've gotten too much of my money over the years with less than ideal results. Core de Force looks interesting but frankly one of the reasons I love Les Mills Combat so much was the personalities of Rachel and Dan. These new folks look much more "in your face" which I'm frankly not interested in much anymore. I like a little humor in my workouts (which is also the reason I like Tony) - if people are going to laugh at the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man doing a workout, I'd like to laugh a bit too.

4. I tried the Millionaire Hoy workout today. Thank you for the suggestion. His beginner...is not a beginner. I think my knees just went on strike for about two weeks. He has a nice personality but that man has a weird idea of what a beginner can do. "We're going to start jogging today...go run 4 miles".

I'll sort through any other suggestions that you guys have. Thanks!

(now to go soak my poor knees)

PS - no one got the Pink Floyd reference in the title? Shame!
The new P90 is a 3 phase progressive program. Newer science, new moves. Loved Tony in this. This is the only 90day program I have ever finished with great results. He has a modifier for each workout also. If you are into streaming for $99 for the whole year you can get all the BB programs ( except the les mills franchise, they are not on the play list) and any new ones they come up with. If this interests you, I would check with Mary at Total fitness.
Old 03-11-17, 04:57 PM  
CHAPLYN61

[QUOTE=Jags;2699400]In addition to the new and improved P90, Tony also has 22 Minute Hard Corp. Although 'hard' in the title coupled with no warmup or cooldown may not be beginner friendly. His p90x3 is beginner-ish friendly, and he exhibits both his humor and his girlfriend (now wife). They clock in at around 30 minutes, use less equipment and you can progress into the program without outgrowing it.

The price of Beachbody sets have come down, some are quite budget friendly.

Lisa C mentioned Les Mills on Demand. If you are a Roku/Smart TV user you can sample Beachbody systems on Beachbody On Demand for 30 days - free. Then it's about $9 a month.

Dutchgirl mentioned Metashred etal, from Men's Health. BJ Gaddour has a sense of humor too, but like Millionaire Hoy his definition of beginner may differ than ours.

In your absence, VF-ers have also set up a Facebook group where we can buy/sell dvds.

[/QUOTE

The BB on demand free 30 day trial might not include all the programs...I would check with Mary at total fitness. if you sign up after the 30day for the $99, I think then you have all access to all the programs.
Old 03-11-17, 07:15 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Welcome back!! I also remember your humorous posts. I also agree with the recommendations for Katami 4 x 4 and Dysfunctional Parrot reviews. I also agree with new Tracie Long and Kelly's 30 min. workouts.
Old 03-12-17, 02:49 PM  
angie_nrs

Welcome back

I got the impression that you have a step from one of your previous posts. The original Step Reebok workouts have a slow pace and still provide a great workout, even if you opted to do them on a step topper or even without a step. The moves are basic and Gin ques really well. I think they are only available on VHS though. However, you can get them on the cheap at ebay or Amazon. I just did "The Video" today since I mentioned it in another thread and it had been many years since I did this workout. I got a great sweat going without getting too out of breath. I was actually surprised at the amount of sweat b/c none of the moves are overly difficult, but Gin's moves are very purposeful, especially with the arms. Just a very solid workout. I'm glad I kept all of my old step reebok workouts.
Old 03-13-17, 06:59 PM  
Fidget Queen

I've been wracking my brain trying to see what a beginner might like who also doesn't like "girly" stuff.

Garrie's tagline reminded me - Margaret Richard!! (BodyElectricTV) She is a woman (clearly). But the workouts are not "girly" (I can say as someone who likes girly stuff, too - Callanetics, Tracie Anderson, etc ).

I used Margaret Richard a lot when I was a true beginner again. And I understand you - I was a T.R.U.E. Beginner at that point. I had been sick for a few years of mono, autoimmune issues, depression, anxiety, and I had joint problems that made normal, supposedly easy moves impossible for me. However, her stuff will truly work you and make you stronger.

But I could do Margaret Richard with absolutely no problem, and she really really helped me get stronger so I could move on with life. My mom is using her stuff now after several setbacks and two broken bones a few weeks from each other.

I'd also seriously recommend Classical Stretch to start getting some mobility back. But they aren't to everyone's taste. I love them, and, also, my mom is in love with them as she pieces herself back together. She alternates Margaret one day and Classical Stretch the next.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 11:02 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Some really good suggestions here. I would also recommend Tracie Long , KCM or Jessica Smith. You can check out Jessica on YouTube. She has many free workouts on there. I also recommend Classical Stretch for increasing mobility and flexibility. Btw, even though I am a dedicated Cathe fan, I generally don't like step workouts, as I am a total disaster with choreography! I do like Cathe for strength and other cardio.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackadar is back!, new p90, reviews