Welcome back!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 05:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

2. What's the difference between the old P90 and the new one from an actual moves standpoint (not the production values)? I have the very old ones still and I did them so much I can put on headphones and not listen/watch Tony at all....or laugh at the form of Lisa trying to throw a punch.
the warm up is an actual warm up, not yoga!

the moves are more like Tony's PHH - straight and to the point. the toning has more variety and more moves - barely any repeats.

Edited to add VF reviews:

re-filmed versions are listed with the year released, which was 2014:
P90 Sculpt A, 2014 (1 review)
P90 Sculpt B, 2014 (2 reviews)
P90 Sculpt C, 2014 (1 review)
P90 Speed Series, 2014 (1 review)
P90 Sweat A, 2014 (1 review)
P90 Sweat B, 2014 (1 review)
P90 Sweat C, 2014 (1 review)

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 05:27 PM  
Garrie A.

Welcome back from a fellow male VFer! Unfortunately most of my workouts tend to be older (90s through mid 2000s) so I can't really help you with any new releases. The newer (late 2000s through today) releases I like are Tracie Long's Longevity workouts (Defining Shape and Leaning Out in particular) and Kelly Coffey-Meyer's 30 Minutes to Fitness (favorites are Kickboxing and Muscle Definition). The only Beachbody programs I like are Turbo Jam (in small doses), Slim Series (with my own music), Kathy Smith's Project You, and (my guilty pleasure workout) Yoga Booty Ballet.

I consider myself a mid to high intermediate exerciser with no intentions of going the advanced route (although I do some advanced workouts with modifications, like Cathe's Muscle Max and Kick, Punch and Crunch). My favorite workouts are Firms (mainly the Benson-era ones plus spinoffs like Tracie Long's work), Barre workouts, Pilates, yoga, and low to mixed impact steady-state cardio. Currently I'm going through a Margaret Richard lovefest, and I like how she works the muscles hard without straining the joints.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 08:47 PM  
Malinda

《Core de Force looks interesting but frankly one of the reasons I love Les Mills Combat so much was the personalities of Rachel and Dan. These new folks look much more "in your face" which I'm frankly not interested in much anymore.》 I don't know how to quote so apologies!

I would encourage you to look further into Core de Force. I do not find Joel & Jericho to be in your face at all. I love Rach & Dan, too, but J&J are great in their own way!
Old 03-10-17, 10:01 PM  
lithium

I'd like to chime in and welcome you back. I remember your hilarious reviews about Turbo Fire, particularly the one line about EZ workout

"The…bitch…lies."

Others already made wonderful recommendations. I just wanted to add this: what were the workouts you started out with, before you moved on to various Beach Body ones? For me it's Leslie and Firm Basics. So they're the ones I go to, as well as Jessica Smith, when I got waylaid fitness-wise. It's really comforting to get reacquainted with old favorites.

Quite a few people here shared their stories about scaling back from more intense workouts due to injuries or other circumstances. They generally felt more energized, less stressful and other health benefits. Please don't get discouraged because you can no longer do certain workouts. You just might find something new to love. Good luck!
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 07:10 AM  
Calistro

Quote:
Wow! Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions. I haven't had time to analyze them all but here's some initial feedback and questions:

1. Remember that I have the coordination of Chevy Chase playing Gerald Ford. While I have smartly put most of the breakables out of reach, there are large plate glass doors on the back of my house in FL that I'd like not to tumble through Thus workouts like Cathe's ICE are entirely out...I guarantee I'd find a way to launch myself from the step into the middle of the back yard.

2. What's the difference between the old P90 and the new one from an actual moves standpoint (not the production values)? I have the very old ones still and I did them so much I can put on headphones and not listen/watch Tony at all....or laugh at the form of Lisa trying to throw a punch.

3. I'm not entirely keen on giving BeachBody another $100 unless it's the most awesome workout ever. They've gotten too much of my money over the years with less than ideal results. Core de Force looks interesting but frankly one of the reasons I love Les Mills Combat so much was the personalities of Rachel and Dan. These new folks look much more "in your face" which I'm frankly not interested in much anymore. I like a little humor in my workouts (which is also the reason I like Tony) - if people are going to laugh at the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man doing a workout, I'd like to laugh a bit too.

4. I tried the Millionaire Hoy workout today. Thank you for the suggestion. His beginner...is not a beginner. I think my knees just went on strike for about two weeks. He has a nice personality but that man has a weird idea of what a beginner can do. "We're going to start jogging today...go run 4 miles".

I'll sort through any other suggestions that you guys have. Thanks!

(now to go soak my poor knees)

PS - no one got the Pink Floyd reference in the title? Shame!

Hello Blackader,

glad to see you back also. I remember your humorous posts.

Someone above mentioned Paul Katami 4x4.

Mary has it listed in the deal of the day today at $39.99 if you scroll down here.

https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/dealoftheday.asp

Have you viewed the clip yet? there is plenty of scope to modify (it has a modifier) use lighter weight etc...

Also another good one would be to have a look at Jessica Smiths walking workout clips and other on you tube. She can ease you gently back in.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jessicasmithtv

She has so many to choose from and lots of beginner, intermediate workouts.

I am easing myself gently back in also as I have neglected myself due to life,studying, recovering from illness and other factors.

Best of luck
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 07:47 AM  
Tugger31

What a great deal and with the "10off" code even better!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 08:27 AM  
AnMrsDe

Calistro/Tugger, I don't know if you persuaded Blackadar to buy the Katami set, but you guys got me to buy it, LOL!

Blackadar, welcome back to VF! I also remember your hilarious posts and I think we even exchanged Insanity/Turbo Fire sets way back when! By the looks of your sig line, it appears you might presently have Insanity on hiatus? But do check out the Katami set, it looks very versatile showing all levels of exercise.

Good luck! VF can look forward to spicing things up around here with your posts!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 08:44 AM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Hi Blackadar,

Another welcome back, I also remember your highly entertaining posts! Getting started again can seem so daunting, but good for you!

Despite your warnings, I immediately thought of DDP yoga and the Arthur's Boorman story, https://vimeo.com/41271653. It has a combo of yoga and rehab moves, so thought I'd mention.

Also, I've been doing Pilates by Lisa, an online streaming site, and her workouts are rehabilitative and can be quite challenging. She has a 10 day trial offer I believe.

For more traditional that is more joint friendly I thought about slim in six or other Debbie sieverts workouts or maybe old Jari Love workouts like Get Ripped. Old Firms as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose, keep us posted!
Anne Y
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 08:57 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:

3. I'm not entirely keen on giving BeachBody another $100 unless it's the most awesome workout ever. They've gotten too much of my money over the years with less than ideal results. Core de Force looks interesting but frankly one of the reasons I love Les Mills Combat so much was the personalities of Rachel and Dan. These new folks look much more "in your face" which I'm frankly not interested in much anymore. I like a little humor in my workouts (which is also the reason I like Tony) - if people are going to laugh at the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man doing a workout, I'd like to laugh a bit too.
Dysfunctional Parrot has a very thorough review of the rebooted P90 system. The link will give you part 1 of his review and at the bottom of the page there is a link to part 2 of his review. Dysfunctional Parrot is a terrific video workout review site; the creator writes very funny and unbiased (i.e. he isn't a Beachbody coach) reviews.

The original Power 90 was the first rotation I ever completed and I still do the workouts every so often. I really appreciated the simplicity and lack of equipment. It was my first exposure to Tony Horton, who became a favorite instructor of mine.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blackadar is back!, new p90, reviews