Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-09, 10:31 AM  
Pykkalo

Leslie Sansone walking vs. regular walking

I've always wondered how many calories I burn per Leslie Sansone "mile" versus a mile of regular walking. So today I decided to compare them with a rather un-scientific study.

***Notice*** I am quite a bit overweight so I burn a lot more calories than someone of a "healthy" weight. I think a 135-lb person burns about 100 calories per mile?? Or is that a 150-lb person... something like that.

I did Leslie Sansone's "Walk This Way" workout... a beginner's 2-mile "walk"- it was the only one I could find easily, LOL. Actual cardio part lasted 26 minutes (I am not including the stretching at the end). I burned, according to my Polar F6 heartrate monitor, 235 calories in that 26 minutes. 117 calories per mile, 9 calories per minute.

Then I rested for about 10 minutes and then hopped on my treadmill, 3.5 mph pace. Took me about 35 minutes to walk 2 miles (I walked 3mph for a very short time at the beginning). I burned 325 calories. That's 162 calories per mile, 9.28 calories per minute.

So... I burn a smidge more calories per minute while walking versus doing a Leslie Sansone workout, but I burn nearly 40% more calories in a regular walking mile.

My maximum heartrate was higher during Leslie Sansone's workout, 156 vs. 148. My average heartrate was lower during Leslie though, 138 vs. 140. I guess Leslie provides a little more of an "interval" workout?

I need to try this again with a different Leslie Sansone workout, such as a "boosted" walk (with the jogging or the stretchies or the walk belt), to see if the calorie burn for that is higher. I tried walking on the treadmill at 3mph to compare it to my previous 2 workouts, but now the battery is starting to die I think (it was not registering my heartrate, it said "00")... I wonder how to replace the battery on it? Does it just need replaced in the wristwatch part, or does the chest strap also have something that needs replaced? I dunno. I bought this thing 3 years ago... I used it regularly for several months, then sporadically, and then I went over a year w/o using it.

Update, I'm going to try the treadmill workout "fresh" in a couple days, see how much difference there is.
Pykkalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leslie sansone, leslie vs treadmill, mile equivalency, outdoor walking, polar, powerbelt walking system, treadmill vs leslie, walking