Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-11, 11:29 AM  
mschmidt

Which would you choose? P90X, Insanity, Insanity Asylum

If you had to choose one system which would you choose?

P90X, Insanity, Insanity Asylum

What do you think is the funnest (don't know if that is really a word, but I'm using it anyway)

What is the most effective?

What one do you continue using and doesn't have the dread effect?

I think I'm going to get one of them - I really don't think its going to be P90X
because my library just got it and I can now check it out. I just did Kenpo X for the 1st time, I did enjoy it and sweated buckets - but it didn't seem difficult and it didn't wipe me out at all, I could probably go again.

I know alot of you out there have these dvd's, so I'm interested in what you think.

thanks
Mindy
mschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 11:34 AM  
Fitstick

I would recommend P90X because it is a more balanced program - meaning it includes strength training, cardio, yoga etc. You could also get Insanity to supplement P90X, I have a friend who likes the P90X/Insanity hybrid rotation. I have tried Insanity (have not tried Asylum) and thought that the workouts had dread factor because they are so intense and very cardio focused. I could not imagine doing an Insanity rotation exclusively but that is just me.. I can't comment on Asylum because I don't have it.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 11:39 AM  
Blackadar

I've done both 90X and Insanity. Haven't done Asylum.

But what you're really asking is do you go cardio or do you lift weights? Because these programs are meant to work you in very different ways. Insanity is all about the cardio. P90X is all about muscle tone with some cardio thrown in.

Personally, I'd go (and went!) with P90X and it's not even close. Insanity has a major dread factor with me and all the workouts are really similar. They're not fun, painful and didn't produce any visible body or weight results. I got major cardio endurance gains, but that was it. I get great results with P90X from both the bathroom scale and with muscle tone.

FYI, Kenpo is probably the easiest workout of the bunch.

PS - If you're looking for cardio only and you want "fun", I'd probably recommend Turbo Jam/Turbo Fire. But I still vastly prefer P90X.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 11:59 AM  
mschmidt

Thats funny Blackadar! I was wondering if Kenpo was one of the easier workouts, because I'm not in amazing shape, but can hold my own with most workouts.
I didn't realize Insanity & Asylum were all cardio based - that adds a different spin on things. Think I better try all of the P90X dvd's from my library and then study the beachbody site on the other 2 systems.

Thanks FitStix and Blackadar for giving your observations it has helped.
mschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 12:09 PM  
Blackadar

Yeah, wait until you try plyoX.

If you want to go with weights but think that P90X is a bit too intense, check out Chalean Extreme (CLX). It's a bit like P90X-lite.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 12:29 PM  
icebergslim

P90X. As someone said, "a more balanced program". There are tons of threads on Insanity and many video clips that you can view on youtube. Insanity is a true cardio endurance exercise program over strength. Asylum, again tons of information on that one also, which I believe includes band work.

My only issue with P90X is that the workouts are one hour and some more than an hour. Next, I added on extra cardio for me because I did not think their cardio was that intense, but that is just me.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 12:43 PM  
DirtDiva

For me, Asylum is more fun then Insanity. However, you can't compare those to P90x as Blackadar mentioned. I have all three, but if I had to choose only one, it would be P90x for the variation and all-over body conditioning.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 12:51 PM  
Sandi M
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I've done both 90X and Insanity. Haven't done Asylum.

But what you're really asking is do you go cardio or do you lift weights? Because these programs are meant to work you in very different ways. Insanity is all about the cardio. P90X is all about muscle tone with some cardio thrown in.

Personally, I'd go (and went!) with P90X and it's not even close. Insanity has a major dread factor with me and all the workouts are really similar. They're not fun, painful and didn't produce any visible body or weight results. I got major cardio endurance gains, but that was it. I get great results with P90X from both the bathroom scale and with muscle tone.

FYI, Kenpo is probably the easiest workout of the bunch.

PS - If you're looking for cardio only and you want "fun", I'd probably recommend Turbo Jam/Turbo Fire. But I still vastly prefer P90X.
DITTO to pretty much everything said here!

Sandi
Sandi M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 01:35 PM  
Alan

If you like functional type workouts geared towards martial artists you might also want to consider Rushfit.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11, 02:04 PM  
RASCalif

You should add Rip:60 to your list. For about the same price as P90x you get the usual strength, cardio and flexibility training, but you get to add suspension and kettlebell training as well. The straps alone are well worth the money.

Tags
asylum, insanity, p90x, shaun t, tony horton